The Guardian 'Rise of the NFL' video - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 28.10.2014, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Default The Guardian 'Rise of the NFL' video

Hi all,

I am Max Whittle from the Guardian and am writing here to share Nat Coombs' Guardian video entitled 'Rise of the NFL' which was filmed during the Miami v Oakland game at Wembley this season. On the show the contributors include NFL UK Managing Director Alistair Kirkwood, Channel 4's Vernon Kay, Neil Reynolds of Sky Sports, Paolo Bandini of the Guardian, fans from the fan rally on Regent Street and Cameron Wake, Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and Jared Odrick of the Dolphins in the locker room following their victory.

Please leave your comments and share as much as you can so we can continue to build the NFL channel.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhAj5j-6Lk

Thank you!

Last edited by MAXWHITTLE111; 28.10.2014 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 28.10.2014, 07:51 PM
All Pro

Enjoyed the video, although I would say the regular shots of cheerleaders will do little to persuade the doubters.
Old 28.10.2014, 08:25 PM
Starter

Very interesting. I had no idea 90 British universities had teams. I mean, I am sure the programs are small and might get little attention, but Football teams aren't cheap. All of that equipment costs a lot of money. The fact 90 are giving it a go is pretty promising.

GET A CONFERENCE TOGETHER!

And come on the cheerleaders were on for like 10 seconds!!

LEAVE THE CHEERLEADERS ALONE YOU WILL HURT THEIR FEELINGS!!

What are the big sports the universities compete in? I mean, besides soccer style football.
Old 28.10.2014, 09:15 PM
Team Captain

So I'm in this video at 4:38
Old 28.10.2014, 11:47 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral Dissolution View Post
What are the big sports the universities compete in? I mean, besides soccer style football.
There are 50 inter-university sports in the UK, of which 16 have formal league structures.

The big two will be soccer and rugby, although unlike US sports universities are not the main feeders to our two largest professional participation sports.
Old 29.10.2014, 08:44 AM
Team Captain

A really good piece on the international series but it is about what happens next, I think by what the nfl owners and commissioner say they would like a franchise here which would still be a bit away. I would just like to know more about there plans after the current agreement for the international series ends, do they renew it in its current form or will it have a minimum about of games in it?
Last year the nfl held a referee coaching before one of the games if they could do more of this and helped more with coaching that would really help the growth of the game here.
Old 29.10.2014, 08:47 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral Dissolution View Post
Very interesting. I had no idea 90 British universities had teams. I mean, I am sure the programs are small and might get little attention, but Football teams aren't cheap. All of that equipment costs a lot of money. The fact 90 are giving it a go is pretty promising.

GET A CONFERENCE TOGETHER!

And come on the cheerleaders were on for like 10 seconds!!

LEAVE THE CHEERLEADERS ALONE YOU WILL HURT THEIR FEELINGS!!

I don't know what it is like now, but when I played 20 years ago (bloody hell, that makes me feel old), none of my equipment was supplied by the team, except for the jersey I wore for the first 2 games.
Helmet & shoulder pads I borrowed from a coach, the rest I bought myself. And when my 'own' jersey arrived, I wore that too.
There was some kit supplied by the team, but it wasn't a lot.
Old 29.10.2014, 09:01 AM
All Pro

Anyone else beginning to wonder how many human heads Cerebral Dissolution keeps in his fridge?
Old 29.10.2014, 01:13 PM
All Pro

It's a nice video and I'm in complete agreement with Vernon that sustained interest in American Football needs to start at grassroots.
However I'm always surprised at how media outlets (particularly the likes of The Guardian) seem happy to create what is essentially PR puff pieces for the NFL (or 31 billionaires). 'Critics say blah but....' isn't exactly a balanced piece of content, as Orwell said 'journalism is printing what someone else does not what printed, everything else is public relations'.
Old 29.10.2014, 02:12 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonno View Post
It's a nice video and I'm in complete agreement with Vernon that sustained interest in American Football needs to start at grassroots.
However I'm always surprised at how media outlets (particularly the likes of The Guardian) seem happy to create what is essentially PR puff pieces for the NFL (or 31 billionaires). 'Critics say blah but....' isn't exactly a balanced piece of content, as Orwell said 'journalism is printing what someone else does not what printed, everything else is public relations'.
It is called "Rise of the NFL". I don't think it is intended to be a balanced piece of investigative journalism.

Tags
channel 4 , franchise , guardian , international series , miami dolphins