So...........Quarterback. *sigh* - Page 8 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 03.05.2016, 11:47 AM
Starter

Yeah I wasn't suggesting we pick him up but noting that we are essentially copying what the Jets did last year. Question is will we draft another QB next year.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.05.2016, 12:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
Yeah I wasn't suggesting we pick him up but noting that we are essentially copying what the Jets did last year. Question is will we draft another QB next year.
It does seem similar. Others would point to what Kirk Cousins has become for the Redskins. As you know I'm more towards the Jets/Petty side of things.

It just seems that to get a starting QB, a good play-off calibre starting QB, you have to invest in one of the top QB's in the class. Prescott was the 7th QB taken in the draft.

DS over in the 2016 prospects thread pointed out that Prescott improved from 2014 to 2015, so that is encouraging. However, he spent almost all his time in the Shotgun, he doesn't exactly throw receivers open or into tight windows, and his accuracy can be off. As you've said, people obviously like the leadership he shows (something we can't know ourselves) and he's a physical QB with arm strength to throw on the move. He might just need to coached into more of a pocket passer.

Will they draft a QB next year? 2016 will dictate that. Are they drafting at 20 or 10? I think if a top QB falls into their lap then they'll take him. That said, what if Gregory is out of the league in 12 months time? or Lawrence fails another drug test? They'd hen need to add a DE, in a year when there are quite a few at the top of the draft.

A long way off, but QB names to follow in 2016 - DeShaun Watson (Clemson), Brad Kaaya (Miami) and Chad Kelly (Ole Miss.). Seth Russell (Baylor), Luke Falk (Wash. St), Mason Rudolph (Okla. St), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma) and Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech) are a few more but they come out of spread offences which people will ding them for.
Old 06.05.2016, 12:13 PM
Team Captain

seen some quotes saying that Prescott would have been a 2nd round guy if not for his DUI arrest.
Old 06.05.2016, 01:25 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMurphy81 View Post
seen some quotes saying that Prescott would have been a 2nd round guy if not for his DUI arrest.
You have to love how these things come out post draft.

As far as I was aware he was touted as a mid round pick throughout the process. Might have seen him as high as the 3rd round, possibly as low as the 6th. As a QB you are going to get 'elevated' a little, but I'd still say most saw him in and around the 4th round.

Plus, it seems the big 'plus' with Prescott was character, so the DUI would more than likely have been put down to a bad decision. I don't think the a DUI in his situation would knock him back almost 3 rounds.
Old 06.05.2016, 08:42 PM
Starter

Jerry has made him our 3rd QB but I assume this could change. Seems to be still talk of acquiring a veteran back-up if one becomes available (Foles?)

Reading Peter King's article it seems most of the Cowboys draft room were pleased that we kept our 2nd and 3rd round picks instead of Lynch. This illustrates the difference between Scouts and Coaches. Personally I think the Scouts should have the call and Coaches should be limited in their opinions in the room.

I think the Coaches particularly Linehan like Moore and would be quite happy with him as back-up. Not sure the owners think the same.
Old 07.05.2016, 11:56 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Jerry has made him our 3rd QB but I assume this could change. Seems to be still talk of acquiring a veteran back-up if one becomes available (Foles?)

Reading Peter King's article it seems most of the Cowboys draft room were pleased that we kept our 2nd and 3rd round picks instead of Lynch. This illustrates the difference between Scouts and Coaches. Personally I think the Scouts should have the call and Coaches should be limited in their opinions in the room.

I think the Coaches particularly Linehan like Moore and would be quite happy with him as back-up. Not sure the owners think the same.
I think Prescott is the 'default' 3rd QB. They spent a 4th round pick on him, Jamiel Showers is the only other option and he spent last season on the Practice Squad for the most part. If Dak were a 7th round pick or UDFA then it would be different.

You would think it makes sense for Scouts, the guys who are evaluating these players for the longest period of time, to get the bigger say in things. It seems this isn't always the case, and to some extent I can understand. Once the players have been drafted they are handed off to the coaches, and they have experience on what can and can't be done with certain guys. It's finding a balance.

As far as veteran back-ups go, if they find someone they think is an upgrade they will pursue him. They've seen what Kellen Moore can do, they seem ok with that, but if someone like Foles is a better fit then he'd make sense. Unlike Moore he certainly doesn't have any issues when it comes to size.
Old 20.05.2016, 08:24 PM
Starter

What's the scouting report on Showers. If he flashes in pre-season it could make things very interesting. What are his strengths and weaknesses?
Old 20.05.2016, 10:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What's the scouting report on Showers. If he flashes in pre-season it could make things very interesting. What are his strengths and weaknesses?
Haven't seen enough of him really.

He transferred from Texas A&M to Texas El Paso after graduating in 2013, prior to that he'd been a back up to both Ryan Tannehill and Johnny Manziel.

NFLDraftScout had him rated as their 19/96 QB the year he entered the draft, but he obviously went undrafted.

Clearly he's a mobile, athletic QB, but I'm guessing he lacks any outstanding passing traits and that's why he went undrafted. He's 6'1, so not exactly a giant, but then Kellen Moore is 6'0 and Romo 6'2.

He's spent time on the Practice Squad and I think he's filled in a variety of roles for them, even on defence. Nick Eatman or Bryan Broaddus might have mentioned how his 'similarities' to Russell Wilson made him a good guy to practice against in preparation for the Seahawks.

At the end of the day he's mobile, and that gives him a shot because he can buy time. Not to say that makes him great, but it's a string to his bow. Personally, if they've spent a 4th round draft pick on Prescott then it'll make it very tough for Showers (and Moore) to stick around in the long term. Perhaps Showers beats out Kellen Moore, but Moore seems further along in terms of the scheme and system than Showers. and he has more NFL experience too.
Old 20.05.2016, 11:03 PM
Starter

Thanks for that Richard, great work as always. Nick Eatman was singing his praises the other day so I was curious.
Old 26.05.2016, 10:17 AM
All Pro

Broaduss says hes the 2nd best QB in OTAs,