All Pro

Not sure how, but we are 1-0!
Sponsored Links
Old 18.09.2017, 08:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanod View Post
It's hard winning on the road so got to take them however they come.
Old 18.09.2017, 08:43 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanod View Post

The Chargers kicker lost them the game..
Old 18.09.2017, 09:15 AM
Team Captain

Great to see Ajayi on form to start the season, rushing for over 100 yards and moving the chains a key times.

The maturation of Parker was evident on some incredible grabs, bailing Cutler out of what would otherwise have been a critical INT.

At least the O-line held up for the most part, and Cutler was able to scramble out of pressure and keep some plays alive when protection broke down.

Despite some really questionable playcalling in the first half, the Dolphins offense looks like it has a good base from which to improve as the season goes one - as long as the key pieces stay healthy.

The run defense mostly won the battle against Melvin Gordon and stopped him from tearing it up on the ground.

On the other hand, the defense looked bad. Sending out Wake to cover Keenan Allen is not going to work, but at times it was the gameplan the Dolphins went with and one which failed, allowing the Chargers to move the ball through the air at will. There were some communication breakdowns between Maxwell and Jones, and the inexperienced LB group left the middle of the field wide open for most of the game.

Timmons' absence is going to be a big story for an already depleted LB group and as much as I dislike him walking out on the team (details and reasoning still awaited) I realise we need him on the roster to get through this season.

Special Teams was the key to this one and just as Cody Parkey won the game for us against the Browns last year with his 3 missed FGs, he won it for us against the Chargers with 4 hits including a 54 yarder to take the lead in the final minutes. Hopefully, gone are the days of Franks' inconsistency and we can have some faith watching Parkey line up to take the kick.

After everything the Dolphins have been through over the past couple of weeks (even since the beginning of August when Tanenhill went down), despite all the weaknesses, this win was impressive from that standpoint.

I'll definitely take it and look for us to improve against the Jets next week.
Old 19.09.2017, 12:28 PM
All Pro

The Timmons situation is a tricky.
Gase has two rules, be on time and play hard, Ajayi was benched for having a strop, where does the coaches authority stand if Timmons stays.
He will be fined after all he didn't play why should he be paid?
We don't know why he departed but unless the circumstances were exceptional I'd wish him well wherever he goes next and trade or cut him.
I struggle to think of a reason why he couldn't tell anyone in the organisation what the urgent need to leave was.
Thin at LB or not the coaches authority has to be respected, we don't have to look far back in Dolphin history to see what happens when the coach does not have the respect of the players.
I trust the front office are already looking for a replacement.
There again you can't have a situation where if a player wants to leave all he has to do is break the rules.

Last edited by Neptune; 19.09.2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 19.09.2017, 03:46 PM
Team Captain

I think we were incredibly lucky to win this one but I'll take it! a scrappy win but a win all the same. Definitely need to improve for the next game but personally i'm holding out the for the pats game where hopefully we can take a W as they do look vulnerable.

I only saw a few key highlights as was watching it on red zone but Ajayi definitely looked good and our O-line seemed to hold up ok, which I thought would be a real issue with against ingram and bosa both formidable opponents. Xavien Howard was particularly rubbish, it felt like #20 was trying to do everything himself at times. Here is the PFF scorecard for those that care: https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/9/...ns-vs-chargers

Next up the NY Jets, a team that look pretty terrible but do have run options available in powell and forte, I do have confidence we can win that game which means we go into a run of two juicy home games already 2 up. Will be nice to get a healthy record in the bag before November when it really heats up (pats, broncos and bucs).

Last edited by luckyfives; 19.09.2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 19.09.2017, 04:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Given Howards play, the loss of Tony Lippett and the extremes in the quality of Maxwell's performances, its no surprise their was extensive talks with Seattle about acquiring Sherman.

As much as I'd love a player of his pedigree, he's 6 months off 30 in a very unforgiving position. Be very short term, but we need the help.
Old 19.09.2017, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Given Howards play, the loss of Tony Lippett and the extremes in the quality of Maxwell's performances, its no surprise their was extensive talks with Seattle about acquiring Sherman.

As much as I'd love a player of his pedigree, he's 6 months off 30 in a very unforgiving position. Be very short term, but we need the help.
I keep hearing that Howard could seriously breakout soon... but I can't say he played that well on Sunday, so who knows if and when that will happen. Maxwell played great the 2nd half of last season.... but he's just not consistent enough. He had a slow start last year, and is slow out of the blocks again this year.... You kind of never know what you're going to get with him. Gutted about Lippett's injury, because he was improving more rapidly than anyone else on the roster IMO. I hope he can pick up where he left off when he gets back on the field, and the injury doesn't ruin his ceiling.

The CB position is kind of on the verge of being really good if everything came together for those three players.... but they just aren't there for various reasons as stated above, so they really could use some veteran help. I just dread to think what the Seattle are asking for Sherman!
Old 19.09.2017, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

We'll take that win, even if it wasn't pretty. The Parkey signing paid off big time right away! Franks was reliable on anything less than 40 yards, but I wouldn't have trusted him to make that game winner from 54. Will be interesting to see if Parkey continues to pay off or whether we'll miss Franks' short range consistency.

Cutler played decent. He generally made good decisions, and I was impressed with how he moves in the pocket. And he still has a strong arm.
It'll be a roller coaster ride with him this season, but for what was available, I do think he was the right signing after #17 went down. With his arm, and his knowledge of Gase's system, he gives us the best chance of winning for what options were out there.

I still love Ajayi... that guy is a beast. He runs downhill so hard, and is quite elusive for a big man.... that he either makes you miss the tackle, or makes you wish you had missed the tackle!! However, I'm seriously concerned for his welfare. He's such a punishing runner, that if they keep giving him 28 rushes per game, he's an injury waiting to happen. Particularly given his injury history in college. I love watching the guy run the ball, but the Dolphins need to lighten his load, and use Williams, Drake and Co. more if they want him on the field long term.

Landry... I just wish the Dolphins would pay him already. Not only is he a great player, but his firey personality and play is infectious. It lifts the entire team. 13 catches on Sunday. Only 3 players in history have had more than that in the opening game of a season. He's been more than patient waiting for a new deal while other stars from his draft class have got theirs, never even hinting at holding out or being unhappy. He's been a model citizen despite the fact the lack of a new deal must be bugging the heck out of him. It's time to pay him now.... it's disrespectful of the Dolphins to be paying him less than $800k this year.

And how about the Dolphins fans on Sunday?? I've noticed over the last few years that considering our home crowds often leave a lot to be desired, the Dolphins fans generally do travel better than the majority of teams in the NFL. But Sunday was crazy.... I know it was a very small stadium by NFL standards, but nearly half the crowd were Fins fans!

And Timmons.... God knows what is going on there. The situation is just weird. I guess all will come clear soon what was going on there. But it's the second time in two years that the Dolphins were missing a key player in week 1 under concerning circumstances (Ajayi was the one last year).

Last edited by Cornishman32; 19.09.2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 19.09.2017, 06:55 PM
Hall of Fame

Agree with Ajayi and the need to limit his workload

I think sometimes there is a worry that a physical back will soon wear out. Pace tends to go before power and so I'm not unduly worried about him. Players like Marshawn and Frank Gore show there's longevity to be found for good power runnings

Gore was very similar to Ajayi in college. Full of promise but chronic injury issues scared NFL teams off. Those injuries have since never surfaced in the Pro's and Gore remains a force .....hope its the same for Jay