Assessment of the 2017 London Games.... - Page 6 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04.11.2017, 03:27 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozbaird View Post
On a more serious ‘customer service’ note - I go to the States three times a year and have done so now for 20 years. In sweeping generalisation broad brush stroke terms.... yes, American customer service is generally excellent.

I would argue however, that the standards in this area in Britain have improved dramatically, massively in fact, from what they were 20 years ago when I first visited the States.

It’s easy to knock Britain, but hand on heart, I think British customer service isn’t that bad at all.
And British customer service is still way ahead of places like Germany, where frankly people are often pretty rude when doing their jobs. Or Russia - where it seems it's a requirement to be rude! And when I lived in Italy I lost count of the number of places that acted like they were doing me a favour by letting me shop in their stores.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #52  
Old 08.11.2017, 10:26 AM
Redskins744's Avatar
Redskins744 Redskins744 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 02.09.2015
Posts: 29
Default

Interesting to see the new power rankings on NFL.com this morning.

The 4 winners of the London games are all in the top 7. Obviously this is just an opinion piece, but it shows how unfounded and illogical the pre season arguments are around the poor quality of teams coming over.

3 of the 4 losing teams this year would possibly have been considered better 'names' or playoff potential teams based on last season and predictions for this year (Ravens, Dolphins, Cardinals).

It just shows as I commented in an earlier post that the NFL is the ultimate year to year league, so when the games are announced this year, people should be careful before dismissing the matchups.

The Jaguars could be a playoff team, as could the Rams if we get them again, and I think they must now be considered to be 2 of the more exciting teams in the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08.11.2017, 10:36 AM
pozbaird's Avatar
pozbaird pozbaird is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 14.01.2010
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins744 View Post
Interesting to see the new power rankings on NFL.com this morning.

The 4 winners of the London games are all in the top 7. Obviously this is just an opinion piece, but it shows how unfounded and illogical the pre season arguments are around the poor quality of teams coming over.

3 of the 4 losing teams this year would possibly have been considered better 'names' or playoff potential teams based on last season and predictions for this year (Ravens, Dolphins, Cardinals).

It just shows as I commented in an earlier post that the NFL is the ultimate year to year league, so when the games are announced this year, people should be careful before dismissing the matchups.

The Jaguars could be a playoff team, as could the Rams if we get them again, and I think they must now be considered to be 2 of the more exciting teams in the NFL.
Good post. Roll on 2018 NFL in Lahn-dahn.... let’s be honest, I don’t have the World Cup in Russia to look forward to.

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08.11.2017, 01:36 PM
ian182's Avatar
ian182 ian182 is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 23.01.2012
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petaq View Post
It's near impossible to park near the ground (essential for us)
Absolute nonsense. Residential streets surround Twickenham. Most, if not all are permit holders only during the week, but completely free during the weekend. Park up somewhere convenient, short walk to the stadium, Bob's your uncle.

And one of the other comments complaining that they didn't like Twickenham because it was "too cold"....... give me a break.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08.11.2017, 06:27 PM
Thepuma Thepuma is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 01.12.2016
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian182 View Post
Absolute nonsense. Residential streets surround Twickenham. Most, if not all are permit holders only during the week, but completely free during the weekend. Park up somewhere convenient, short walk to the stadium, Bob's your uncle.

And one of the other comments complaining that they didn't like Twickenham because it was "too cold"....... give me a break.
For NFL and U2 at Twickenham this year the roads surrounding the stadium are closed to non residents...so parking up close is not an option.

If you can walk 15 minutes then there are options. But if you park close to the stadium don't bank on getting anywhere after the game for at least an hour as it is total gridlock. Best option is to either leave 15 minutes before the end or hang around f9r an hour and a half after the game.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08.11.2017, 06:31 PM
ian182's Avatar
ian182 ian182 is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 23.01.2012
Posts: 166
Default

I’m not suggesting the road directly adjacent to the stadium.

But 15-20 min walk away there are quiet streets with loads of spaces.

Moaning that there is nowhere to park is a bit pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08.11.2017, 09:23 PM
AfcBOli27's Avatar
AfcBOli27 AfcBOli27 is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 31.08.2013
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian182 View Post
I’m not suggesting the road directly adjacent to the stadium.

But 15-20 min walk away there are quiet streets with loads of spaces.

Moaning that there is nowhere to park is a bit pathetic.
Whilst you are quite correct, as we do that exact thing ourselves, the poster mentioned before that at least one of their party would not manage such a distance with their walking sticks.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08.12.2017, 11:52 AM
Berko Boy's Avatar
Berko Boy Berko Boy is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 04.10.2013
Posts: 10
Default

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 London Games. It was my 3rd year of a season ticket and will renew again for 2018.
My thoughts :
- the fans are fantastic. A glorious celebration of all things NFL - supporters of every club from all walks of life from all over the UK , across Europe and the USA.
- stick to 1:30pm kick-offs. I live near London but travelling home late on Sunday night is a pain - it must be a thousand time worse for those living far away and are due back at work on Monday. Also no clash with televised games.
- Wembley . I have Club Wembley seats so from where I am its a superb stadium. Excellent views , comfortable and spacious seating , good but expensive food and drink . I have been at the lower levels for football and even that's not too bad. To keep the expense down, drink and eat in Wembley before the game and avoid the merchandise. I try to cut down on my drinking (!) and only buy the match day program. The downsides are the Tailgate and Fan Zone. There is no history of tailgate for soccer - and it shows ,the tailgate being held in whatever building site is free that year . This year it was a long queue for a totally disappointing experience. Travel - for me is just a few stops down the railway line . Pity if you go by car - but no London stadium is designed for motorists . Quite the opposite - planning permission is only awarded on the proviso most supporters will take public transport ( in effect they are forced to ) . At least Wembley has 3 stations nearby.
- Twickenham . The stadium is showing its age. The seating is lacking in space and comfort. Stadium catering at the mid and upper levels is woeful - and expensive . If you want to eat or drink mid game you really have to go down to the outer concourse. However Twickenham has by far the better tailgate and fanzone. Rugby fans expect a complete game day in stadium experience and Twickenham has the expertise to provide it. Travel - 45 minute queues at the station on leaving or a similar walk to Richmond . Not great but it is what it is. I had a similar experience at the London stadium for the Rugby World cup . I would surprised if WHL is any different.

All in all its a grand day out.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12.12.2017, 04:22 PM
leemarlin87's Avatar
leemarlin87 leemarlin87 is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 24.07.2004
Posts: 463
Default

Its funny how on reflection with 3 weeks left of the season, it gives a slightly different outlook on the quality of teams that came over

Vikings 10-3
Jags 9-4
Saints 9-4
Rams 9-4
Ravens 7-6
Dolphins 6-7
Cardinals 6-7
Browns 0-13

A combined record of 56-48 and considering that Includes an 0-13 team thats a pretty respectable level of team that came over

Just shows you cant tell year to year what teams records will be

Of course the games on the day were pretty poor but that can't be helped and is just the nature of sport
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12.12.2017, 09:04 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemarlin87 View Post
Its funny how on reflection with 3 weeks left of the season, it gives a slightly different outlook on the quality of teams that came over

Vikings 10-3
Jags 9-4
Saints 9-4
Rams 9-4
Ravens 7-6
Dolphins 6-7
Cardinals 6-7
Browns 0-13

A combined record of 56-48 and considering that Includes an 0-13 team thats a pretty respectable level of team that came over

Just shows you cant tell year to year what teams records will be

Of course the games on the day were pretty poor but that can't be helped and is just the nature of sport
The season has many twists and turns though, that's the beauty of it. You could have 2 teams play each other in week 3 and 90% would back Team A to win, but they meet again in week 15 and 90% back Team B.

Well look at the Dolphins... they stank the place out for multiple games during a patch but the last few games they have been humming. Ultimately the test is what you get on the day. I certainly don't look back on that drab Saints-Dolphins game more fondly now that the Dolphins have beaten the Patriots. The point is they were dreadful in London.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:56 PM.