The future of London games - Page 4 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 13.02.2019, 06:09 PM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Yeah I could see this working. Wonder if teams like the Packers or Cowboys would try to get venues like Milwaukee or San Antonio.

Linking to the above post, the NFL is indeed getting involved a bit in the AAF. I wonder if this could be, indirectly, a way of thinning down the rosters come training camp. Getting the AAF to do some of the work for the NFL teams in the spring such that maybe they can start with fewer than 90 players on the roster and it’s easier to trim down to 53 in 2 preseason games.

Personally I’d like to see a rivalry game established for each team (not as neutral site games), like they do in college. In some cases even though the 2 teams are in different conferences, they will still play once a year. Cowboys-Texans, Giants-Jets, Steelers-Eagles, that kind of thing. For some teams it might make more sense just to use an existing divisional rivalry instead. It’s cool in college when you have late season rivalry games. In some cases divisional games like Ohio State-Michigan, in others geographical cross-conference rivalries like Florida State-Florida.
the cowboys would want to play in oklahoma i am led to believe. but yes, principle of more of the 17th games being more local games rather than everyone being transatlantic (or transpacific) would be the reality i expect

rivalry games would be great but would that not affect the integrity of schedules to a point given it is far from a true league?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #32  
Old 16.02.2019, 04:55 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
rivalry games would be great but would that not affect the integrity of schedules to a point given it is far from a true league?
Not sure I follow. It would be a 17th game (or 18th game, depending on where we are going with this) not replacing any existing schedule rotation. You wouldn't be playing a divisional team a 3rd time. Just playing - in most cases - a non-conference team that is selected for a reason, rather than just a random matchup. I always thought that was one weakness in the NFL - you only get to play a local team in the other conference every 4 years (Super Bowl aside), making it no different to any other team in the other conference.

I would quite like it if the Steelers could play the Eagles once every season, for example, so a home game every 2 years, rather than currently every 4 years and a home game every 8 years. It's worth pointing out that based on pre-season schedules, a lot of teams appear to think this also. Many teams have arrangements where they play the same teams in pre-season every year, or every other year, rather than just random games. The Jets and Giants certainly play each other every pre-season. The Steelers play the Eagles every other year, and the Panthers every season.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 18.02.2019, 05:51 PM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

based on last ten years, as an example, the team that is paired with patriots every year (probable loss) would feel at a disadvantage to whomever was paired with say, the Jags (probable win) if it came down to it at the end of the season records and playoff qualification
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 18.02.2019, 11:08 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TartanJag View Post
based on last ten years, as an example, the team that is paired with patriots every year (probable loss) would feel at a disadvantage to whomever was paired with say, the Jags (probable win) if it came down to it at the end of the season records and playoff qualification
And? I mean I feel it's so obvious I shouldn't need to say it, but if you're that worried about the Patriots shouldn't you be concerned about the current model where the Bills, Dolphins and Jets play the Patriots twice while other teams play them once or not at all? End of season records and playoff qualification etc etc?

The league is an unbalanced schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 21.02.2019, 01:27 PM
TartanJag's Avatar
TartanJag TartanJag is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 10.08.2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
And? I mean I feel it's so obvious I shouldn't need to say it, but if you're that worried about the Patriots shouldn't you be concerned about the current model where the Bills, Dolphins and Jets play the Patriots twice while other teams play them once or not at all? End of season records and playoff qualification etc etc?

The league is an unbalanced schedule.
yeah i suppose, just potentially making a not great situation worse.

guilty of thinking like a brit perhaps, more used to proper 'leagues'. Americans probably wouldnt blink twice since, as you say, they are used to it of a fashion already.

end of the day it is marketable, therefore potential $$$ make it possible
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 21.02.2019, 03:13 PM
drchave's Avatar
drchave drchave is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: 24.01.2014
Posts: 28
Default

An interesting concept, and putting aside the logistics of league parity, scheduling and the CBA, I thought I'd have a play and see what 'Rivalry Week' might actually look like in the NFL.

Some games are obvious choice, for example NYG/NYJ, and HOU/DAL, however once you get past the first few it becomes a little more tricky.

A lot of established rivalrys are already maintained by the divisions, (Bears/Packers, Falcons/Saints, Chiefs/Raiders The AFC North/Steelers being obvious examples). However I wanted to avoid divisional games in rivalry week, so I went for an all AFC v NFC slate of games.

Some of these games aren't traditionally considered any sort of rivalry, and is made more tricky by the fact everyone hates the Patriots and the Cowboys, but those feelings aren't always reciprocated.

To keep things simple, I based these new rivalry's purely on geography. Some make more sense than others, and I expect a lot of discussion, but for now, ladies and gentlemen, I present... Rivalry Week.

NYJ v NYG
HOU v DAL
LAC v LAR
OAK v SF
MIA v TB
NE v PHI
BAL v WAS
TEN v NO
PIT v GB
BUF v DET
JAX v ATL
CLE v CHI
CIN v CAR
DEN v SEA
KC v ARI
IND v MIN
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 21.02.2019, 04:25 PM
iffies's Avatar
iffies iffies is online now
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 4,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchave View Post
An interesting concept, and putting aside the logistics of league parity, scheduling and the CBA, I thought I'd have a play and see what 'Rivalry Week' might actually look like in the NFL.

Some games are obvious choice, for example NYG/NYJ, and HOU/DAL, however once you get past the first few it becomes a little more tricky.

A lot of established rivalrys are already maintained by the divisions, (Bears/Packers, Falcons/Saints, Chiefs/Raiders The AFC North/Steelers being obvious examples). However I wanted to avoid divisional games in rivalry week, so I went for an all AFC v NFC slate of games.

Some of these games aren't traditionally considered any sort of rivalry, and is made more tricky by the fact everyone hates the Patriots and the Cowboys, but those feelings aren't always reciprocated.

To keep things simple, I based these new rivalry's purely on geography. Some make more sense than others, and I expect a lot of discussion, but for now, ladies and gentlemen, I present... Rivalry Week.

NYJ v NYG
HOU v DAL
LAC v LAR
OAK v SF
MIA v TB
NE v PHI
BAL v WAS
TEN v NO
PIT v GB
BUF v DET
JAX v ATL
CLE v CHI
CIN v CAR
DEN v SEA
KC v ARI
IND v MIN
Raiders and 49ers had to stop playing preseason games due to violence between fans so I'm not sure that would be a good idea. Not that it will matter after the move to Vegas though, where the Raiders best rivalry game will probably be against the Cardinals.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 21.02.2019, 04:43 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Raiders and 49ers had to stop playing preseason games due to violence between fans so I'm not sure that would be a good idea. Not that it will matter after the move to Vegas though, where the Raiders best rivalry game will probably be against the Cardinals.
Agree, raiders and cardinals, chiefs and niners will make more sense.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21.02.2019, 04:46 PM
iffies's Avatar
iffies iffies is online now
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 4,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
Agree, raiders and cardinals, chiefs and niners will make more sense.
The Desert Bowl
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 21.02.2019, 08:13 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
The Desert Bowl
Good name for the game, just need to name the other 15 now, a couple spring to mind with the Big Apple Bowl and Beltway Bowl for the New York and Baltimore/DC games.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:09 PM.