NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 27.09.2009, 08:54 PM
All Pro

Default The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 3 @ St. Louis

Yes, its here again folks.

The Good - Turnovers

Whilst GB didnt look rubbish, it was hard to pick out what they did well, but when you look at the stats you see this -

FUMBLE RECOVERIES

GB - 2 STL - 0

INTERCEPTIONS

GB -1 STL - 0

No it wasnt much, but it was enough. The interception was a prime example of the pressure the D line can get on a QB when it works right, and you dont have to be too inaccurate under these circumstances to feed the ball to Mr Charles Woodson.

The Bad - Run D

Yes I know Steven Jackson is a good back, but correct me if I'm wrong but Matt Forte is an equally good back (with an arguably better line in front of him) who we held to practically nothing two weeks ago. Where did the rush defence go after that game? St Louis could have capitalised on the lack of contain the D line was providing and ran over the Packers for more than the 150 odd yards they did quite easily.

The Ugly - Special Teams

On punt returns, St Louis had an average day returning 2 punts for 23 yards with a new guy they picked up this week. Green Bay had 11, also from two returns.

Pass protection gets a break this week, but hear this. The O line hasn't improved. If it doesn't, dem Williams boys in Minnesota are going to beat Aaron Rodgers until he cries.

MVP - Donald Driver

"But Kuhn scored twice today!" Wrong. Kuhn scored one rushing touchdown, had an easy role in a nice passing TD play and looked average blocking all day. Donald Driver was there when needed to make big plays, scored a nice touchdown and made the catch of the season so far.

LVP - Jarrett Bush

He disappears in games and then when you do see him, he's being called for holding. Still don't understand why Rouse and Smith were dropped before him (it isn't because of special teams contributions I'm sure).

Last edited by dungyismylover; 27.09.2009 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 27.09.2009, 09:14 PM
Rookie

The good -

Aaron Rodgers had his struggles but he made some great throws. Johnny Jolly was also excellent. O-Line looked better as game progressed, mainly pass protection (run blocking still average at best).

The Bad -

Our run D looks only slightly better from last week. Bad tackling from a lot of players. Running game still wasn't threatening. Drops still happening.

The Ugly -

Mason Crosby missing an extra point, can't happen again. Jarret Bush's holding call..... why did we resign this guy

Last edited by strat_man; 27.09.2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 28.09.2009, 12:44 AM
All Pro

These posts are always insightful Dungy.

I didn't think the special teams were all that bad today, outside of the missed extra point - which is unacceptable - Crosby actually performed very well for someone who was limited in practice all week. I'm not a fan of Kapinos, but he had a very solid game punting the ball. As for the return game, I wish the Packers would put Jordy Nelson back there, especially on kickoffs, Blackmon has never been any good returning kickoffs, he has a few punt return TDs.

As for Jarrett Bush, I can't stand the guy, but he only disappeared in today's game because, as far as I saw, he didn't play on defense. The Packers started Derrick Martin at safety in his place, and even then Martin didn't play very much - the Packers preferring to go with a 3-5-4 defense with Chillar being the 5th linebacker in place of Martin at safety.

That said, here's my take:

The Good: The long-passing game. The Packers did very little outside of the three bombs thrown by Rodgers two to Jennings and one to Driver (who made an outstanding catch). The pass protection was also surprsingly solid, one sack was on Barbre, the other was Rodgers fault for holding on to the ball too long.

The Bad: Run defence. The Packers couldn't stop Jackson, despite stacking 8 in the box and having an extra linebacker on the field.

The Ugly: Running game/short-passing game: The sure fire way to prevent Rodgers getting too much pressure is to establish the run game. Ryan Grant doesn't look the same as the back who emerged in 2007, he managed to get a few bonus yards in garbage time but he was essentially a non-factor for the first three quarters. Personally, I hate the zone-blocking system and I think that system is the main problem with the rushing game. The Packers were supposed to be a stronger rushing team with bigger bodies along the offensive line, but we've heard this before from McCarthy.

As for the short-passing game in 2007 under Favre the Packers had a porous offensive line in the first few games of the season, but Favre was able to neutralise pass-rushers by throwing lots of slants and curls. Some of this is on Rodgers, some on McCarthy.

MVP: Donald Driver
LVP: Scott Wells - Gave up a few pressures and one big hold on a long Grant run. To be honest, there were few players who played badly on the Packers side, but equally few who excelled.
Old 28.09.2009, 12:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengermassey View Post
Jarrett Bush disappeared because, as far as I saw, he didn't play on defense. The Packers started Derrick Martin at safety in his place, and even then Martin didn't play very much - the Packers preferring to go with a 3-5-4 defense with Chillar being the 5th linebacker in place of Martin at safety.
You are right, Bush didnt play much, which begs the question why was he not cut in place of Rouse or Smith if you don't trust him to play instead of a LB switching between his orignal position and safety? It makes no sense. Thanks for the props avengermassey, I find its always interesting to hear different people's perspective post game.
Old 28.09.2009, 01:22 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungyismylover View Post
You are right, Bush didnt play much, which begs the question why was he not cut in place of Rouse or Smith if you don't trust him to play instead of a LB switching between his orignal position and safety? It makes no sense. Thanks for the props avengermassey, I find its always interesting to hear different people's perspective post game.
Ha, well that's a question most Packers fans can't answer. I have no idea why Bush hasn't been cut yet, surely whatever value he has on special teams is negated by the amount of penalties he gives up, and his reasonably large contract. Perhaps Ted Thompson is fearing a backlash over cutting one of his special teams standouts as he did after releasing Tracy White last season, another player who contributed little to the defense. If that's the case he's seriously overlooking the criticism Bush gets on every Packers site I've seen.

The Anthony Smith decision was an interesting one. The main problem I have with the decision is that the Packers were going into the season with one fit safety in Collins, two-banged up safeties in Bigby and Rouse, and one guy who you desperately don't want to see time at safety in Bush. A guy like Smith could have provided adequate depth, considering the Packers played Bush extensively in the second half of the Bengals game. I don't think Smith is a great player, but despite my criticisms of Bigby, Smith wasn't really going to unseat him as a starter. Smith hasn't even been active for the Rams - one of the worst teams in the NFL - this season.
Old 29.09.2009, 04:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengermassey View Post
Ha, well that's a question most Packers fans can't answer. I have no idea why Bush hasn't been cut yet, surely whatever value he has on special teams is negated by the amount of penalties he gives up, and his reasonably large contract. Perhaps Ted Thompson is fearing a backlash over cutting one of his special teams standouts as he did after releasing Tracy White last season, another player who contributed little to the defense. If that's the case he's seriously overlooking the criticism Bush gets on every Packers site I've seen.

The Anthony Smith decision was an interesting one. The main problem I have with the decision is that the Packers were going into the season with one fit safety in Collins, two-banged up safeties in Bigby and Rouse, and one guy who you desperately don't want to see time at safety in Bush. A guy like Smith could have provided adequate depth, considering the Packers played Bush extensively in the second half of the Bengals game. I don't think Smith is a great player, but despite my criticisms of Bigby, Smith wasn't really going to unseat him as a starter. Smith hasn't even been active for the Rams - one of the worst teams in the NFL - this season.
Agree with all said there. Since the game I've read some old reports which said Smith was a lockeroom cancer whilst with the Steelers, so I presume that why was he wasn't kept. Interestingly neither Smith nor Ruvell Martin have been activated by the Rams, which is apparantly due to neither of them getting the playbook down. As you can see by my language here, really not much is known for certain.