NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 17.10.2009, 09:16 PM
All Pro

Default Packers at the Trade Deadline

Here's a list of trade possibilities I saw listed at another site:

http://joeslockerroom.wordpress.com/...rade-deadline/

It's an interesting list. The idea of going after Steven Jackson or Darren McFadden excites me, however it's probably unlikely with penny-pinching Ted Thompson at the helm.
Sponsored Links
Old 19.10.2009, 03:46 AM
Pro Bowler

I'm pleased to see I wasn't the only one that thought Peppers for Kampman made sense...
Old 19.10.2009, 01:46 PM
All Pro

Got to be honest, I am highly suspicious of this guy’s sources and consequently his story. No-one with any credibility is reporting this stuff. When reporting rumours as specific as this, right down to the terms of the trade, unless someone describes their source by naming their job (e.g. AFC personnel exec) then I tend to think it’s someone chatting pure s**t. At the end of the day, the number of people that would know about these deals in such detail is very small, and the odds of them talking about this stuff are very slim because very simply it would not be in their interests.

Of the deals, here’s my thoughts, I’ve sorted it by position because I think it’s better that way.

Running Backs – Steven Jackson, Darren McFadden, Michael Bush

Jackson – the guy gets hurt too much and has too much tread on his tires to justify this trade. He is a very good player but to give up 2 good draft picks and Grant, who is by no means bad, for a guy of Jackson’s age and injury history is too rich for me. Remember, Jackson has a big time contract too, it’s risky to say the least. This to me would be a panic move, we can get a running back in the draft next year. In the meantime it’s not as if Grant is terrible. Running backs are too fungible to justify this move.

McFadden – again I don’t doubt his talent, but this is another move that to me would make little sense. Combination of asking price, contract and injury history.

Bush – I don’t personally think he’s much better (if at all) than what we already have. Is it worth giving up a 3rd or 4th for that?

Offensive Tackles – Anthony Collins, Joe Thomas

Joe Thomas!?! [i]Joe Thomas!?!?!?! Seriously? Why on earth would the Browns trade him at all? If they were going to do it at all, which they won’t, why would they do it midseason when the market wouldn’t be optimal?

Collins – leaving to one side the fact that this trade is horribly one sided, who plays LOLB for the Packers in this scenario? Poppinga? Thompson? Jones? You give up Kampman for a guy with less than stellar talent who doesn’t know the scheme and is coming in midseason? I don’t see the sense in it myself.

Linebackers – Julius Peppers, Shawne Merriman, Chris Long

Peppers – I don’t doubt he can still play but is no more proven in the 3-4 than Kampman. And he’s always played on the right side. And the fact he’s a FA at the end of the season is far from ideal – you’ve only got 10 games or so to evaluate him before you’re going to have to either give up on him or pay him a huge amount of money. When he’s got to learn the defence and make all those adjustments, that’s a tough ask. When you consider the tag for Peppers is going to be prohibitively expensive, I’d rather keep Kampman and try to do a tag and trade at the end of the year.

Merriman – interesting idea but this deal is too risky for me. I’d do it for a conditional 2011 pick but probably no way the Chargers go for that (I’m thinking A.J. Smith might not be around to use it). The problem here again is that he’s an FA at the end of the year and that’s not enough time to evaluate him before dropping big money on him. No way would I do a long term deal for him now, he’s not looked good from what I’ve seen of him so far. Maybe the doctors know better than me but I’d worry about this one.

Long – another intriguing deal but full of problems for the Packers. Long has a big time contract as #2 overall. How long can you justify paying that if he doesn’t play really well? He’s been a major disappointment so far, while it’s easy to fall in love with the upside of this deal (and indeed it could really work out), I would personally assess it that the odds favour us losing on this deal.

Safety – Michael Huff

I like this deal on paper. I do think he’s generally talented and has shown flashes of it but consistency and the environment he’s coming from would be a big concern. If you’re worried about Bigby getting hurt again (and you probably should be), then some quality cover would make a world of sense. I maybe wouldn’t give up a 4th rounder because Huff’s contract is too big, but a conditional pick 4th or 5th rounder would maybe be OK. This is one I would look long and hard at. The other red flag is that there has been talk of the Raiders trading Huff for at least a year now. For the organisation to seemingly give up on a good athlete and high draft pick when they don’t place a high priority on character would worry me. But I don’t know the guy, maybe that’s not the reason.
Old 19.10.2009, 03:07 PM
All Pro

I agree with the above that the website doesn't look very well sourced. But it's interesting to hear something about trades in the rather secretive NFL.

As for the players, my #1 priority would be a running back. Mike Carlson actually addressed the issue of mid-season trades last night on Five, stating that few trades get done because of how long it would take to get the traded player up to speed in his new system. With this is mind players like Merriman and Peppers should be out of the question unless they come ridiculously cheap (mid to late round picks). However, Carlson stated that at a natural talent position such as running back, it's far easier to get acclimated. I'd bite the Rams' hands-off in a deal for Jackson, he's an elite back and he's amazingly only 26, such players don't make it to the market all that often.
Old 19.10.2009, 03:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengermassey View Post
I'd bite the Rams' hands-off in a deal for Jackson, he's an elite back and he's amazingly only 26, such players don't make it to the market all that often.
Only 26 but with a lot of tread on his tyres and a history of getting injured and missing a few games a year. Don’t get me wrong, he is a very good player, but realistically he’s 2 or 3 years away from being in decline. How good was Jamal Lewis as a 29, 30 year old? Enough to justify a top 10 RB contract? His current contract expires after 2013, and it’s big money.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d certainly consider it, but it’s far from a no-brainer to me.

Really, at RB I’d rather go to the draft. There you get what are normally the RBs prime years at a relatively bargain price on the rookie contract. You then give them a second contract based on merit and get rid of them when they decline. Of course, you’ve got to draft well (i.e. do better than Brandon Jackson with a 2nd rounder), but that’s the place to get backs IMO.
Old 19.10.2009, 04:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetropolitan View Post
Only 26 but with a lot of tread on his tyres and a history of getting injured and missing a few games a year. Don’t get me wrong, he is a very good player, but realistically he’s 2 or 3 years away from being in decline. How good was Jamal Lewis as a 29, 30 year old? Enough to justify a top 10 RB contract? His current contract expires after 2013, and it’s big money.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d certainly consider it, but it’s far from a no-brainer to me.

Really, at RB I’d rather go to the draft. There you get what are normally the RBs prime years at a relatively bargain price on the rookie contract. You then give them a second contract based on merit and get rid of them when they decline. Of course, you’ve got to draft well (i.e. do better than Brandon Jackson with a 2nd rounder), but that’s the place to get backs IMO.
The debate on S Jackson is an interesting one. I would be tempted to agree with you on the draft point, but of course we could end up in the same situation again if it doesn't work out. Grant is actually the same age as S Jackson, so long term wise we are stuck with a similar situation wise (although as you mentioned Jackson has more usage already). If he were a year or two older, I think the trade happens, but if I'm Spagnuolo right now, I'm telling my GM to hold stiff to offers, as he can still be a good part of the rebuilding process in St Louis.
Old 19.10.2009, 09:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungyismylover View Post
The debate on S Jackson is an interesting one. I would be tempted to agree with you on the draft point, but of course we could end up in the same situation again if it doesn't work out. Grant is actually the same age as S Jackson, so long term wise we are stuck with a similar situation wise (although as you mentioned Jackson has more usage already). If he were a year or two older, I think the trade happens, but if I'm Spagnuolo right now, I'm telling my GM to hold stiff to offers, as he can still be a good part of the rebuilding process in St Louis.
Plus as well Jackson might be a key to selling tickets. In the current climate, I think the box office effect of a star player is going to be taken into account somewhere like St Louis.

Obviously in Green Bay it has zero effect, but in St Louis...
Old 20.10.2009, 10:22 AM
All Pro

I would be willing to pull the trigger for a trade on an RB, especially for Bush who could be a steal. If only for the fact that Thompson obviously has had little success in terms of drafting RB's.

Mcfadden was superb at Arkansas, really breathtaking to watch a shame he ended up stuck in the blackhole. At least with the Packers he may have the chance to prove his worth.