Travel to Wembley - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 12.08.2016, 04:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Travel to Wembley

I have a ticket for the Redskins game on 30th October and wonder if anyone can offer advice on travel.

Last year my train from Newcastle arrived at Kings Cross at 11am which gave plenty of time to get to Wembley however this year the earliest train gets in at 12.01 and I believe the game starts at 1.30pm. How long does it take to get to Wembley from Kings Cross - I cant remember from last year but I think 90 mins may be cutting it fine by the time you catch tubes, Q and get a drink/snack etc.

The other option is to catch a flight, one arrives at 915 am & the next at 11 am both at Heathrow. Would this be a better option in terms of getting to Wembley a good time before kick off. I have no idea how or how long it takes to Wembley from Heathrow.

I can catch a train easily enough on the return so its just the travel down I am in two minds about.
Sponsored Links
Old 12.08.2016, 05:27 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylee73 View Post
I have a ticket for the Redskins game on 30th October and wonder if anyone can offer advice on travel.

Last year my train from Newcastle arrived at Kings Cross at 11am which gave plenty of time to get to Wembley however this year the earliest train gets in at 12.01 and I believe the game starts at 1.30pm. How long does it take to get to Wembley from Kings Cross - I cant remember from last year but I think 90 mins may be cutting it fine by the time you catch tubes, Q and get a drink/snack etc.

The other option is to catch a flight, one arrives at 915 am & the next at 11 am both at Heathrow. Would this be a better option in terms of getting to Wembley a good time before kick off. I have no idea how or how long it takes to Wembley from Heathrow.

I can catch a train easily enough on the return so its just the travel down I am in two minds about.
You should be fine mate,

The metropolitan line will take you straight from kings cross to Wembley Park, 30-35 mins with 5 stops.

That gives you an hour for the walk from your train to the tube, the walk from Wembley Park to the gate as well as getting in and finding your seat
Old 12.08.2016, 07:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamparr4 View Post
You should be fine mate,

The metropolitan line will take you straight from kings cross to Wembley Park, 30-35 mins with 5 stops.

That gives you an hour for the walk from your train to the tube, the walk from Wembley Park to the gate as well as getting in and finding your seat
Cheers, last year I changed tubes both going & coming back, no idea what I did there though that's probably why it felt like much longer.

Flights are same price, is Heathrow to Wembley fairly straight forward ? Thinking about it I might try to get there earlier and have a beer & soak up the atmosphere on Wembley Way.
Old 13.08.2016, 10:25 AM
Pro

I travel from Darlington with my lad and don't like taking chances. The first year we went was evening ko so no rush. Last year was earlier so we booked hotel for extra night. Same this year, 2 nights at travelodge.

I hate the thought of looking forward to something for so long then it being spoiled by any delays etc. Both years on way home there has been train problems.
Old 13.08.2016, 11:18 AM
Rookie

I have booked a Saturday night in London, travelling from Cardiff to ensure no rush on the Sunday getting to the game
Old 13.08.2016, 11:34 AM
Pro Bowler

No point in rushing round like others have said I so booking the early fight to get in at 9.15. 4 hrs to cover delays & getting to Wembley should be plenty I hope.
Old 14.08.2016, 08:23 PM
Pro

Quote:
No point in rushing round like others have said I so booking the early fight to get in at 9.15. 4 hrs to cover delays & getting to Wembley should be plenty I hope.

You should be fine.

From Heathrow take the piccadilly line to Acton Town then cross over to the other platform and again get a Piccadilly Line but make sure you get one going on the Uxbridge or Rayner's Lane branch. The trains can change their destination at very short notice and you really do not want to end up going back towards Heathrow.

Once you are on the Rayner's Lane branch you either can go to Alperton and Walk (30min) or go to Sudbury Hill (which happens to be my station) and get 92 bus.

The last option I am going to give you which is less complicated then it sounds go as far as Rayner's Lane and cross over and get the metropolitan line to Wembley Park.

These are the cheapest options without going into zone 1 and paying more

Also remember that Paper tickets are very expensive you can purchase a oyster card for £5 DEPOSIT and add £10 credit that will be enough for the day (you can get £5 deposit along with unused credit back at the end of your trip) The refund simply deactivates your oyster but you get to keep it which might be nice if it's a souvenir one but i don't think you can reactivate it in the future.

If you have a contactless payment card you can just use that like an oyster just make sure you touch in and out on the yellow readers (Even if the gates are open) and touch in on the pink reader at Rayner's Lane to ensure you pay the correct amount.

I hope this helps
Old 14.08.2016, 08:55 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jels1983 View Post
You should be fine.

From Heathrow take the piccadilly line to Acton Town then cross over to the other platform and again get a Piccadilly Line but make sure you get one going on the Uxbridge or Rayner's Lane branch. The trains can change their destination at very short notice and you really do not want to end up going back towards Heathrow.

Once you are on the Rayner's Lane branch you either can go to Alperton and Walk (30min) or go to Sudbury Hill (which happens to be my station) and get 92 bus.

The last option I am going to give you which is less complicated then it sounds go as far as Rayner's Lane and cross over and get the metropolitan line to Wembley Park.

These are the cheapest options without going into zone 1 and paying more

Also remember that Paper tickets are very expensive you can purchase a oyster card for £5 DEPOSIT and add £10 credit that will be enough for the day (you can get £5 deposit along with unused credit back at the end of your trip) The refund simply deactivates your oyster but you get to keep it which might be nice if it's a souvenir one but i don't think you can reactivate it in the future.

If you have a contactless payment card you can just use that like an oyster just make sure you touch in and out on the yellow readers (Even if the gates are open) and touch in on the pink reader at Rayner's Lane to ensure you pay the correct amount.

I hope this helps
Great stuff cheers, sounds simple enough. Im getting the train back home from Kings Cross so I'll just stick £20 on an Oyster card and see if that's enough to get from Heathrow to Kings Cross. Iv still got an Oyster card from when I was in London in February, Im guessing I can just top that up at a ticket machine.
Old 14.08.2016, 09:07 PM
Pro

Quote:
Great stuff cheers, sounds simple enough. Im getting the train back home from Kings Cross so I'll just stick £20 on an Oyster card and see if that's enough to get from Heathrow to Kings Cross. Iv still got an Oyster card from when I was in London in February, Im guessing I can just top that up at a ticket machine.

Glad I could help

But seriously £20 is too much I would say the Maximum you will pay for zones 1-6 (Heathrow is zone 6 Kings X is ZONE 1) is £9.40 but to give you a fail safe put £20 but recommend you register your oyster card and you can make sure you were charged the right amount. On your return the gates are always open at Wembley Park (due to crowds) but make sure you touch in because otherwise you will be over charged
Old 14.08.2016, 09:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jels1983 View Post
Glad I could help

But seriously £20 is too much I would say the Maximum you will pay for zones 1-6 (Heathrow is zone 6 Kings X is ZONE 1) is £9.40 but to give you a fail safe put £20 but recommend you register your oyster card and you can make sure you were charged the right amount. On your return the gates are always open at Wembley Park (due to crowds) but make sure you touch in because otherwise you will be over charged
Ah yeah, I completely forgot you need to touch the card before & after the journey. Is registering the card just touching it before/after the journey ?