Wembley Tailgate - Drinks/Food - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 21.09.2017, 12:03 PM
Rookie

Lightbulb Wembley Tailgate - Drinks/Food

So as I understand it, the Tailgating at Wembley is going to be slightly different this year in a sectioned off area by Olympic Way.

In previous years it's been out in the open around the stadium meaning you can bring along drinks and food for the whole morning without having to queue up for 20mins+ every time you want a beer. Not to mention the cost of £5-6 per beer.

Does anyone know if you're able to take drinks in with you to the tailgate area this year? I'm hoping it's not like the Twickenham one where we were turned up with a bag full and were told to dispose of them before entry!

Feel like I sound like a cheapskate but it's a bl00dy expensive day and I'm keen to reduce as much of that as possible!
Sponsored Links
Old 21.09.2017, 12:23 PM
Starter

I think the tailgate area will be cordoned off with security on the gate so may well be that you won't get in with food drink etc....but hard to know.

Whenever you go to Wembley it's never cheap. I used to be like you and try to take my own food drink etc and try to keep costs down...but I got fed up of carrying bags etc, and you end up spending lots anyway....so now I just save up and bite the bullet and fully expect to pay £150 for a hotel....£6 a pint..and £15 for a rubbish burger and chips. I enjoy it a lot more now, but it costs a fortune you're right.
Old 22.09.2017, 12:43 PM
Pro

Website says that tailgate is open to non-ticket holders whereas at Twickenham you needed to show a ticket.

Assuming this is a larger volume of people, they would not want the security checks to delay entry unnecessarily.
Old 22.09.2017, 06:41 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISLEONG View Post
Website says that tailgate is open to non-ticket holders whereas at Twickenham you needed to show a ticket.

Assuming this is a larger volume of people, they would not want the security checks to delay entry unnecessarily.
Don't like this idea....and wouldn't feel safe In that area becaise of that.

With all the recent terrorist attacks the last thing you want is to be in an area that's packed full of people who have not been security checked.....absolutely anyone could go into that tailgate area...even people with no interest in the game....this leaves it open to people with bad intent.

As much as it was a pain in the backside...the way Twickenham do it where you get searched just to be able to get near the stadium..is mich better and safer.
Old 23.09.2017, 10:06 AM
Starter

The app suggests that the Wembley tailgate is only open to ticket holders, which is the opposite message to that of the website.
Old 23.09.2017, 10:56 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenspuma View Post
I think the tailgate area will be cordoned off with security on the gate so may well be that you won't get in with food drink etc....but hard to know.

Whenever you go to Wembley it's never cheap. I used to be like you and try to take my own food drink etc and try to keep costs down...but I got fed up of carrying bags etc, and you end up spending lots anyway....so now I just save up and bite the bullet and fully expect to pay £150 for a hotel....£6 a pint..and £15 for a rubbish burger and chips. I enjoy it a lot more now, but it costs a fortune you're right.
Just go get something in the retail centre next to stadium. I've never understood why people go pay for a £15 burger and chips when you can get a nicer meal deal sandwich, crisps and drink for £3 or £4 if you can just be bothered to walk 5 minutes.
Old 23.09.2017, 10:59 AM
All Pro

Quote:
With all the recent terrorist attacks the last thing you want is to be in an area that's packed full of people who have not been security checked.....absolutely anyone could go into that tailgate area...even people with no interest in the game....this leaves it open to people with bad intent.
They don't security check people at the tube station and the crowds there get busier than anywhere......

Unfortunately we live in dangerous world full of idiots.
Old 23.09.2017, 11:32 AM
Pro

Quote:
Don't like this idea....and wouldn't feel safe In that area becaise of that.

With all the recent terrorist attacks the last thing you want is to be in an area that's packed full of people who have not been security checked.....absolutely anyone could go into that tailgate area...even people with no interest in the game....this leaves it open to people with bad intent...
So that's no different from any other public space then.

Do you also avoid going to the shops because it's also "an area that's packed full of people who have not been security checked"?

That must make getting a loaf of bread and a pint of milk very inconvenient for you...
Old 23.09.2017, 02:46 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM Titan View Post
So that's no different from any other public space then.

Do you also avoid going to the shops because it's also "an area that's packed full of people who have not been security checked"?

That must make getting a loaf of bread and a pint of milk very inconvenient for you...
Not comparable.

Outside Wembley on game day is like herding sheep....not sure what the supermarkets are like by you but it's nothing like that at shops by me.

Yes..any busy area can be a target...but let's not forget it's an Anglo American event...exactly the 2 main enemies of these people. If they really want to create a statement then surely this is the event to do it at.

The tube comment is a fair one though....i certainly wouldn't feel comfortable at Wembley tune station waiting for the train.
Old 23.09.2017, 02:50 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Just go get something in the retail centre next to stadium. I've never understood why people go pay for a £15 burger and chips when you can get a nicer meal deal sandwich, crisps and drink for £3 or £4 if you can just be bothered to walk 5 minutes.
Staying at the Hilton this year and we are in Club Wembley, so getting half decent food shouldn't be a problem.

And errr..i don't think a crappy sandwich meal deal from Tesco express is going to cut it..lol....i go to the game to soak up the atmosphere and have some game food. The other year they had a stall selling pulled pork and Mac cheese....was delicious!!

Tags
drinks , food , tailgate , wembley