Super Bowl 53. Game day thread. - Page 19 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Sponsored Links

Old 05.02.2019, 12:11 PM
Pro Bowler

The biggest problem I had with this game was that I had a knawing feeling after the Rams first couple of drives that they weren't remotely good enough on offence. I expected to see Jeff Fisher on the sideline any second. The bad old Rams offence was back, and it just seemed to be somehow completely inappropriate, at the big show.

The familiar 'TV stat sheet' surprised me at the end, because it flattered that Rams offence so much. I suppose they went a bit more kamikaze from 10-3, and this helped pad their stats to the point where their end 'score card' looked vastly superior to the offensive shambles we'd actually witnessed for 55mins of gametime or more. On a side note, I think this stat pack for TV should include 'turnover on downs' with regular turnovers. They are effectively the exact same. Why was it 3-3, when Edelman had double the Rams offensive yards for the bulk of the playing time? Because the pick, the missed FG, and the turnover on downs. A turnover on downs is as expensive as any other turnover typically, and I think it should be rolled into that stat line.

One other thing struck me on the night. We hear all this talk about Russian 'drug cheats' etc, as if they're the only sporting drug takers on the planet. Then we see Edelman on the podium, walking off with the Lombardi & the MVP, having served a PED suspension in the early weeks of 2018 season, and some might marvel at the hypocrisy & double standards of it all.
Sponsored Links
Old 05.02.2019, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanE153 View Post
I agree with this completely. I had joined the NFL UK Facebook group (which was probably a bad idea to begin with) and there was a lot of very poor comments on there my favourite of all being "If you though that was a bad game you know **** all about the game."

This game wasn't a great game by any stretch. There were some good defensive plays sure but there were also some bad play calls and very poor QB play which contributed to it being less than thrilling for the neutral. If I was a Patriots fan I would have probably enjoyed it as when you are watching your team you're looking at it from a different angle and you just want your team to win by any means.

Personally after watching the Vikings week in, week out, since Zimmer took over I have seen a team which has been good on defence but a less than great offence, so when I sit down and watch a neutral game I like to see explosive plays on offence and scoring drives, this game lacked that and any memorable plays that you'll remember for years to come like many Superbowls have.

One of the things I like about the NFL and the community is how inclusive it is no matter what team you follow, everyone looks for/likes different things about the game, if you don't enjoy games like this one it doesn't mean you can't appreciate good defence and that you "know **** all" it's just personal preference - I wouldn't go to a game between Man City and Chelsea which finished 0-0 with about 3 shots all match, and then come out saying what a great game it was despite the fact both teams would have had to have defended very well during the game.
Social media isn’t a great place to have a debate about the NFL (or anything, really). Have always found this forum far better for it, and it’s a crying shame that it’s so quiet here nowadays.
Old 05.02.2019, 01:15 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Social media isn’t a great place to have a debate about the NFL (or anything, really). Have always found this forum far better for it, and it’s a crying shame that it’s so quiet here nowadays.
I agree with you, I left that group already. I plan on posting on here more but like you say shame it's so quiet no. I remember coming on here a couple of years ago before one of the drafts and it was really active.
Old 05.02.2019, 01:47 PM
Team Captain

As others have said I found it to be a game of 2 poor offences rather than 2 outstanding Defences, Goff looked totally lost and missed some wide open receivers which he should have seen. And then to top it all off the ****ing Patriots won

I agree with a couple of other points made;

1. The Pats winning is booring
2. Facebook is not a place for sensible NFL conversation
3. The HT show was worse than the game...which was quite an acheivment!

Now onto the draft...oh wait the Bears dont draft until Rnd 3...it's going to be a long Spring/Summer
Old 05.02.2019, 07:39 PM
All Pro

Obviously I enjoyed the game but am aware it wasn't a classic. I would still rather take the win than last years points fest which ended in disappointment.

I was hoping Brady would retire if they win as the 'fall off a cliff' can't be far away and was hoping he would have avoided it by retiring.
Old 05.02.2019, 08:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch_2 View Post
As others have said I found it to be a game of 2 poor offences rather than 2 outstanding Defences, Goff looked totally lost and missed some wide open receivers which he should have seen. And then to top it all off the ****ing Patriots won

I agree with a couple of other points made;

1. The Pats winning is booring
2. Facebook is not a place for sensible NFL conversation
3. The HT show was worse than the game...which was quite an acheivment!

Now onto the draft...oh wait the Bears dont draft until Rnd 3...it's going to be a long Spring/Summer
so out of interest how would you describe the Bears/Rams SNF game from earlier in the year?was that 2 awful offences stinking up primetime......
Old 05.02.2019, 08:04 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Agree with this, the question is though how do we get more people back on here?
Old 05.02.2019, 08:06 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
Obviously I enjoyed the game but am aware it wasn't a classic. I would still rather take the win than last years points fest which ended in disappointment.

I was hoping Brady would retire if they win as the 'fall off a cliff' can't be far away and was hoping he would have avoided it by retiring.
Brady walking away never seems an option as he wouldn't leave Kraft with a major hole in his organisation.if we had a young back-up ready to play maybe he could have called it a day.next year he and Brees will be chasing the passing TD record and not sure if Brady can pass mannings passing yards to be 2nd all-time?
Old 05.02.2019, 08:08 PM
MVP

Boring Superbowl ending in boring same old result. Boring.

I'd like to say I'm looking forward to the draft but we've got nothing in the 1st round. Got to try and work out what I'm going to do with my Sunday nights again.
Old 05.02.2019, 08:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Lowest overnight TV ratings for quite a few years, with a 44.9 (last year 47.4, and Broncos-Panthers and Patriots-Seahawks were in the 49s). Not helped by a 26 rating in New Orleans - half as much as last year as Saints fans boycotted the big game in protest at the non-call 2 weeks ago.
reports the LA market had a lower rating this year with there Rams than last years Pats/Eagles game.

still averaged over 100m viewers and the NFL/CBS still made plenty of money.