NFL Coaching hires 2019 - ranked and predictions on how they'll do.. - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 15.02.2019, 12:45 PM
All Pro

Default NFL Coaching hires 2019 - ranked and predictions on how they'll do..

...as we head into combine szn, the coaching hire cycle for 2019 is complete (well, bar the Bengals, who it seems like will be trying to find a DC, well forever!)

So we ended up with 8 teams having new coaches: Jets, Packers, Browns, Bucs, Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos and Cardinals

I have put my rankings of them below based on how I think they will do (1st being best hires, 8th being worst) - I'm going to try to take into account the HC, OC, DC and any other significant hires on the staff...interested to see others lists and thoughts - am sure some of my opinions will cause some debate

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Head coach - Bruce Arians
Offensive coordinator - Byron Leftwich
Defensive coordinator - Todd Bowles
Other significant hires - Kacy Rodgers (DL coach), Harold Goodwin (assistant HC)

Analysis - Basically Arians has got the band back together in Tampa Bay, and for me this is easily the best head coach hire and a very good staff put together by an impressive head coach. Arians has a track record of success, Bowles as a DC is an excellent hire (his HC credentials can be questioned, but as a pure DC, I think he is easily top 10, maybe top 5 in the NFL) and bringing some other of his assistants from Arizona like Goodwin. Leftwich calling plays worries me a touch as OC, but you would imagine Arians will have a lot of input. My only fear for Arians is that Tampa kept Jason Licht as GM (an absolutely ridiculous decision btw), and he is proven to be absolutely dreadful at his job...so whilst I expect their to be a uptick in results straight away, they may be a year or two (ie. a new GM) away from building a contender.

2. Cleveland Browns

Head coach - Freddie Kitchens
Offensive coordinator - Todd Monken
Defensive coordinator - Steve Wilks
Other significant hires - Mike Priefer (special teams coach - former ST coach of the year with Minnesota)

Analysis - I think I might have this one higher than the consensus, but I love the Kitchens hire - he crafted a great offence with Mayfield down the stretch, and the hire of Monken as the OC is an absolutely fantastic one. Cleveland fans should be real excited about their offence going forward! I know it doesn't mean much, but I love the way Kitchens talks and talks about winning a championship, and how 8-7-1 last year wasn't good enough. I think he's going to build an excellent culture in Cleveland. Wilks as DC is pretty meh imo, I don't think he was really great in Carolina as DC, but he does have a lot more talent to work with now. I still think Cleveland have a way to go with their roster to be a real contender, but with Dorsey at the helm, and Kitchens in charge, I think they finally have the people in place to take them back to the playoffs in the coming year or two.

3. Miami Dolphins

Head coach - Brian Flores
Offensive coordinator - Chad O'Shea
Defensive coordinator - Patrick Graham
Other significant hires - Jim Caldwell (assistant head coach), Josh Boyer (Defensive pass game coordinator/Cornerbacks coach)

Analysis - Now I realise I am predicting a Belichick coaching tree, and Miami Dolphins coach hire to be good...but I genuinely think Flores is different to say a Matt Patricia. He has been a fast riser in the Patriots coaching staff, and was even receiving head coaching interviews as a position coach, whereas others like Patricia felt like they got a HC job almost by default of being a Belichick coordinator for a while. Flores did some excellent work as DC this year, and has consistently improved players when position coach (see Pats safeties and LBs under his tutorship). And he has also assembled an excellent staff, O'Shea has been OC in waiting in NE for a while, Graham is well regarded around the league and Jim Caldwell is brilliant to bring on board (very underrated coach). Also Josh Boyer is a fantastic position coach hire, he was one of the top assistants in NE since he started as CB coach, and you only have to look at how well and how many UDFA CBs have come along in NE under his watch (he was the Malcolm Butler developer!). I hope Miami give him a real shot with his 5 year deal, because obviously the roster stinks right now - so this is going to be a long term turnaround...but I think in Flores they have a good one.

4. Denver Broncos

Head coach - Vic Fangio
Offensive coordinator - Rich Scangarello
Defensive coordinator - Ed Donatell
Other significant hires - Mike Munchak (OL coach)

Analysis - Now I have the Broncos/Packers ranked fairly similar, the Packers with a better overall staff, but I simply believe in Fangio more than LaFleur thus have ranked Denver higher. If they had managed to keep Kubiak as OC, as was being touted this would have challenged the Bucs as best for me, but something went wrong there unfortunately for Denver. I think Fangio will be an excellent head coach, but I do worry about his offence under Scangarello, who has limited experience. The Denver D should be a great unit under him though, and if Munchak can work the OL magic he did in Pittsburgh, in Denver, than maybe they can cobble together a decent offence.

5. Green Bay Packers

Head coach - Matt LaFleur
Offensive coordinator - Nathaniel Hackett
Defensive coordinator - Mike Pettine
Other significant hires - Luke Getsy (QB coach)

Analysis - Now I must preface this by saying, I think he's actually put together a half decent staff - I like both Hackett and Pettine as coordinators, and bringing back Getsy will hopefully help improve Rodgers's mood and make 2018 an aberration for him. But, I dislike the hire of LaFleur, simply based off his work in Tennessee admittedly. I would like to have hired a HC who has some track record of success as a coordinator, and simply I don't think LaFleur made that Tennessee offence any better than it was under Mularkey. I also worry about if he can help turn Rodgers back around and handle him, after the well noted falling out between him and McCarthy (Rodgers ignoring play calls, shots in the media etc) - I am not sure if LaFleur is ready to handle a superstar like this. We will see, but I won't be tipping Green Bay for success under him certainly in the 2019 season.

6. Arizona Cardinals

Head Coach - Kliff Kingsbury
Offensive Coordinator - Tom Clements
Defensive coordinator - Vance Joseph
Other significant hires - .......

Analysis - To be honest, I really don't know much about the assistants Kingsbury has put together, so I can't really analyse them. But I am not a fan of Vance Joseph, so him being their DC worries me a lot. Then Kingsbury himself, he obviously comes with a great reputation as an offensive mind and he did design some brilliant offences at Texas Tech...but the other side of the ball and overall record matters and he never put together even an average defence and had a poor record despite having Patrick freaking Mahomes as QB for most of his tenure. I think this is a huge risk from Arizona, but by all accounts, I think they were rejected by a few other candidates. I fear they might be in for another poor year in 2019, and I don't see Kingsbury working out as a HC at the NFL level (he would be a good OC imo)

7. New York Jets

Head Coach - Adam Gase
Offensive coordinator - Dowell Loggains
Defensive coordinator - Gregg Williams
Other significant hires - Brant Boyer (Special teams coach), Joe Vitt (Senior Defensive assistant), Frank Pollack (OL coach), Blake Williams (defensive assistant)

Analysis - I will start off positive - bringing back Boyer who coordinated an excellent ST unit for the Jets last year is brilliant, and Pollack imo is a great OL coach. Unfortunately, that ends the positives from me...and we head onto what is a raft of negatives. I am going to ignore the Jets keeping their bum General Manager, and ignore them now hiring Matt Rhule (their 1st choice) because they wouldn't allow him to hire his own staff (ludicrous)...Adam Gase. I do not get the Adam Gase hype, or hire - In 2015, he was the Offensive Coordinator for the Bears 21st ranked offense and Jay Cutler threw 7 less touchdowns than he did the year before. From 2016-2018, he went 23-25 with the Dolphins, getting progressively worse each passing year. The team’s offense ranked below the Jets offense in DVOA in 2017 and was barely ahead of it in 2018. Gase also repeatedly clashed with players, trading away multiple key parts of their roster and clashed with the owner/front office on his way out the door. His only success has come with Peyton Manning. How have AFC East teams not learnt that these retread HC/GM AFC East hires don't work?

Now off of Gase, and onto the rest of his coaching staff. Dowell Loggains is an absolutely abysmal hire, there is no two ways about it. He is there as a mate of Gase, because his resume is absolutely atrocious and he has overseen anemic offences everywhere he has been, an ultimate cocoon hire. Gregg Williams as pure DC I don't think is too bad, but this is completely overseeing the baggage that comes with him - Gase is known for hardly getting along with people, and well, we saw on Hard Knocks this past year how Gregg gets on with fellow coaches! This is before we even get into the Joe Vitt dynamic (Gase's father in-law, and noted non Gregg Williams fan, see bountygate testimony - that will always be bubbling under the surface). Oh and also, we have already had a flare up of the Williams/Gase dynamic, with Gregg wanting to bring his son (who has never had a job not under his dad in the NFL) and Gase not wanting this - but seemingly someone from up high in the Jets has allowed it.

Matt Rhule must've wanted to be hiring monkeys as his coaching staff. I honestly don't think the Jets could've handled this coaching cycle/ any worse. Of course, I could be wrong, but this looks setup for disaster to me, and like the Jets will waste Darnold's rookie deal. (I won't even start on the ludicrous decision to keep Mike Maccagnan as GM)

But yes, I think there is one team doing worse (somehow!)

8. Cincinnati Bengals

Head Coach - Zac Taylor
Offensive coordinator - Brian Callahan
Defensive coordinator - (lol)
Other significant hires - Jim Turner (OL coach), they don't have any defensive assistants...

Analysis - What the bloody hell are the Cincinnati Bengals doing? I get the need for the "next McVay" but Zac Taylor has literally called plays (terribly) for 5 games in Miami in 2015 in an interim measure, otherwise he has been a position coach for about two seconds. I don't see what credentials he has, and clearly, neither do other coaches around the league, because he literally cannot hire a coaching staff! How do you appoint a head coach, especially an offensive one, who doesn't even have a defensive coordinator and staff lined up to join him? IT MAKES NO SENSE! It's got to the point now where they're being turned down by college DCs (Grantham) after old NFL DCs like Del Rio and Capers looked at it and went "nope".

This is all before we get onto the Jim Turner hiring, which might be the worst thing a NFL team has done all offseason. This man is a noted scumbag, the Wells report exposed this obviously - but he clearly hasn't learnt from this, as he has been suspended from Texas A&M for degrading women in a slideshow during an event intended to educate female fans on the game!

The whole situation is a complete disaster - free agency starts in literally a month, the combine in a few weeks - and the Bengals have no idea what defensive scheme they will be running, or who will be coaching - how are you meant to scout players, decide who to keep/go after? It's well noted the Bengals have the smallest scouting department in the NFL anyways, so putting extra stress on them is bound to go well. At this point, I think the Bengals will have the #1 pick in the 2020 draft.

If you've read all that...well done. I'm off for a coffee
Sponsored Links
Old 15.02.2019, 03:23 PM
All Pro

The problem Arians has in Tampa Bay is Bowles. You basically couldn't find a worse fit for personnel and scheme. It's going to be like Rex in Buffalo but much much worse.

Bowles is a good DC, but sometimes you need to look beyond the person and look at the scheme, and unless Bowles radically changes his, the Buccs are going to be giving up cricket scores every week
Old 15.02.2019, 09:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Hats off to you Olly for putting together a small novel (and researching all the staff hires too!).

I'm going to find it hard not to be influenced by the circumstances these new staff find themselves in i.e. the players they have to work with and the division they are in. They might well be good coaches but some of them wont be able to make silk purses out of sow's ears shall we say. Anyway...…..

1. Cleveland Browns

Head coach - Freddie Kitchens
Offensive coordinator - Todd Monken
Defensive coordinator - Steve Wilks
Other significant hires - Mike Priefer (special teams coach - former ST coach of the year with Minnesota)

The momentum is there, it seems like the players are buying in too. Kitchens and Mayfield seem to be on the same page. Monken's Bucs seemed to be able to move the ball. Offensively things look to be on the up. Steve Wilks seemed to have the backing of some of his defensive players in Arizona, so i'm going to guess the Browns defence take to him early doors too. With Garrett, Ward, et el. he has talent to work with. They seem to have the most settled roster of the bunch.

2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Head coach - Bruce Arians
Offensive coordinator - Byron Leftwich
Defensive coordinator - Todd Bowles
Other significant hires - Kacy Rodgers (DL coach), Harold Goodwin (assistant HC)

Arians has a good HC track record. He's a fan of Winston's, apparently, and that should ultimately benefit him. Arians has some weapons on offence that fit what he likes to do too. Defensively they are a bit lacklustre but Kwon Alexander should be back. I just think Arians will be able to get the best out the roster sooner or later. That might still not be enough to make the play-offs but they should improve.

3. Green Bay Packers

Head coach - Matt LaFleur
Offensive coordinator - Nathaniel Hackett
Defensive coordinator - Mike Pettine
Other significant hires - Luke Getsy (QB coach)

This might be as much Aaron Rodgers show as it is Matt LaFleur's in the short term, and in the short term that might work well. Nathaniel Hackett seems like a spare wheel. LaFleur's hire is a strange one though, he just doesn't have much of a CV. Other than working with Matt Ryan and Sean McVay I don't see what he has going for him. Oh, and age. Basically Rodgers is the obvious X Factor that will elevate opinion of LaFleur or undermine the whole thing. With the right additions Pettine could mould that defence into something a step above mediocrity.

4. Denver Broncos

Head coach - Vic Fangio
Offensive coordinator - Rich Scangarello
Defensive coordinator - Ed Donatell
Other significant hires - Mike Munchak (OL coach)

Fangio should build a stout D. He'll attract some defensive free agents because of his success in SF and Chicago. I'm not truly convinced he'll be a great HC, iirc he's been overlooked for jobs in the past so there must have been a reason for that. Still, those defensive pieces he has, plus some young weapons on offence (and Mile High) should make him competitive if nothing else. Flacco's addition hasn't hindered his chances either. That said, the Rich Scangarello hire doesn't inspire much confidence.

5. Miami Dolphins

Head coach - Brian Flores
Offensive coordinator - Chad O'Shea
Defensive coordinator - Patrick Graham
Other significant hires - Jim Caldwell (assistant head coach), Josh Boyer (Defensive pass game coordinator/Cornerbacks coach)

Most of these teams are in rebuild mode, and that includes the Dolphins. With the QB situation still up in the air it's hard to see too much success for Flores in 2019 despite the Dolphins going 7-9 last year. Some of the aging pieces on Defence will be shown the door too, so how quickly can Flores (and Graham) mould their new unit? Their division isn't the toughest but I think it'll take time for Flores to find stability. Tbh not much separates numbers 3, 4 and 5 on this list.

6. Cincinnati Bengals

Head Coach - Zac Taylor
Offensive coordinator - Brian Callahan
Defensive coordinator - (lol)
Other significant hires - Jim Turner (OL coach), they don't have any defensive assistants..

I'm in total agreement that this has the makings of a complete disaster. What kind of confidence does it breed when you can't even get people to join your staff?! The Bengals mindset doesn't seem best suited to a rocky start. They do have some talent on their roster though and for that reason there is potential if they get off to a decent start. I don't know Taylor's personality but if he doesn't impose his will early it could get messy. A tough division too.

7. New York Jets

Head Coach - Adam Gase
Offensive coordinator - Dowell Loggains
Defensive coordinator - Gregg Williams
Other significant hires - Brant Boyer (Special teams coach), Joe Vitt (Senior Defensive assistant), Frank Pollack (OL coach), Blake Williams (defensive assistant)

This is less to do with Gase and more to do with the size of the rebuild at Florham Park. They've got Darnold, and his growth under Gase will go a long way to how this hire ultimately plays out. Even with Frank Pollock though their line is in dire need of additions and what else do they have on offence? No doubt Gregg Williams will have his successes, the Jets have some building blocks for him to work with, but ultimately I'm not a fan and can see things getting rocky down the road.

8. Arizona Cardinals

Head Coach - Kliff Kingsbury
Offensive Coordinator - Tom Clements
Defensive coordinator - Vance Joseph
Other significant hires - .......

Is Kliff going to be a revelation? I have my doubts. He's in a tough division for starters. The relationship between Rosen and Kingsbury will be under the microscope from Day 1 and that might not suit Rosen in the end. People are already talking about Rosen being a bad fit schematically, although I think everyone needs to wait and see on that front. I alluded to players like Peterson liking Steve Wilks earlier, and a key to all this might be how those defensive starters take to Vance Joseph and his scheme. The roster lacks depth and even though they have some resources to improve this off season its going to be a tough 2019 in the NFC West.
Old 15.02.2019, 09:40 PM
All Pro

Any chance you've got a list of all of the 2019 coaching hires? Something I haven't been able to find.

Offensive/Defensive coordinators as well as the head coaches.
Old 16.02.2019, 10:31 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz View Post
Any chance you've got a list of all of the 2019 coaching hires? Something I haven't been able to find.

Offensive/Defensive coordinators as well as the head coaches.
Sorry I couldn’t find one either - did this by going on the team websites which have all the coaching staff on it. Had a LOT of spare time at work yesterday haha
Old 21.02.2019, 08:57 PM
Hall of Fame

1. Buccaneers
2. Browns
3. Dolphins
4. Packers
5. Broncos
6. Jets
7. Cardinals

8. Bengals - truly terrible hires across the board. AJ Green or Mixon get hurt they are looking Top 3 pick in 2020