53 man roster prediction - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 01.09.2009, 02:13 PM
All Pro

Default 53 man roster prediction

I tried this last year, can't remember how successful I was, but with the advent of team forums at least I can track this. Here's my attempt at the Packers final 53:

Offense (24.5):

Quarterbacks (3): Rodgers, Flynn, Brohm
Wide receivers (5): Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Martin
Running backs (3): Grant, Jackson, Sutton
Fullbacks (2): Hall, Johnson
Tight ends (2.5): Lee, Finley, Havner
Offensive line (9): Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Wells, Giacomini, Lang, Meredith

The quarterback and receiver groups take care of themselves. As for running back Sutton looks a good bet to make it over Wynn who's perpetually injured, if Jackson's injury is more serious than first thought I could see the Packers keeping 4 RBs, possibly at the expense of Underwood the corner who I have making the roster below. One of the fullbacks has to miss out and it won't be 5th round pick Johnson, I'm guessing it'll be Kuhn. Havner is a two-way player at TE and LB, so he's worth keeping around, hence the half-point. As for the offensive line I hope the Packers finally cut ties with Moll and go with youth as Meredith and Lang won't make it through waivers.

Defense (25.5):

Defensive line (7): Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly, Harrell, Wynn, Montgomery
Linebackers (8.5): Barnett, Hawk, Kampman, Poppinga, Thompson, Matthews, Bishop, Chillar, Havner
Cornerbacks (6): Woodson, Harris, Williams, Blackmon, Lee, Underwood
Safeties: (4) Collins, Bigby, Smith, Bush

The D-line picks itself if Harrell is healthy, if not there's really no depth behind those seven listed, the roster spot might be used elsewhere. Brad Jones is a tough cut at linebacker, it's probably between him and Underwood (CB) for the final roster spot (or if the Packers want to use it on offense, between Jones, Underwood and DeShawn Wynn), Jones has more chance of making it through waivers to the practice squad so I've cut him. The penalty prone Jarrett Bush gives the Packers depth at safety and corner so he stays. Rouse is a tough cut at safety but I can't justify keeping five.

Special teams (3):

Kicker: Crosby
Punter: Kapinos
Long-snapper: Goode
Sponsored Links
Old 02.09.2009, 09:33 AM
All Pro

That’s a really good effort, and I agree with almost everything there.

My personal inclination is to keep Wynn (DeShawn that is) over Sutton. Reasons are that Wynn is more versatile – can play 3rd downs well, can pass block and while Sutton has certainly produced as a runner, I don’t personally see anything special over and above Wynn’s ability as a runner. If Sutton makes it through waivers then he goes to PS. If not, that’s one you’ve just got to accept – you can’t keep every player you like.

TE is the one position I could see us making a waiver claim from another team, the same way we got Donald Lee from the Phins. I think if Havner does crack the 53 he’d be one of my first cuts and a player that I’d be looking to upgrade. His ability on special teams is what swings it for the time being, because it allows me to keep Quinn Johnson at FB at the expense of the unfortunate Kuhn.

I don’t see any way Moll makes the roster personally so I think you’ve called it just how it will play out on the O line.

Defensively I think the variable you’ve got to consider is Harrell’s health. When is he going to be ready? He hasn’t practiced for a month now and I would be thinking of IRing him. If that happens it allows me to keep Jones who I think has some real potential and I don’t like my chances of keeping on PS. Rouse is, as you say, a tough cut because I do think he has excellent potential. I would imagine he has trade value and I would try to exploit that – again I would be looking for another TE or a draft pick. The other tough cut here is Danny Lansanah, who has potential I really like and does a lot of unsung dirty work. Again, I think it’s possible a team like the Dolphins (who tried to claim him off GB’s PS last season, leading to the release of Tracy White) who are way down on the waiver list might sooner give up a conditional draft pick than take their chances getting him.

So in summary, here’s my 53:

Offense (24.5):

Quarterbacks (3): Rodgers, Flynn, Brohm
Wide receivers (5): Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Martin
Running backs (3): Grant, Jackson, Wynn
Fullbacks (2): Hall, Johnson
Tight ends (2.5): Lee, Finley, Havner
Offensive line (9): Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Barbre, Wells, Giacomini, Lang, Meredith

Defense (25.5):

Defensive line (6): Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly, Wynn, Montgomery (Harrell IR)
Linebackers (9.5): Barnett, Hawk, Kampman, Poppinga, Thompson, Matthews, Bishop, Chillar, Havner, Jones
Cornerbacks (6): Woodson, Harris, Williams, Blackmon, Lee, Underwood
Safeties: (4) Collins, Bigby, Smith, Bush

Special teams (3):

Kicker: Crosby
Punter: Kapinos
Long-snapper: Goode
Old 03.09.2009, 10:22 PM
All Pro

Here's the Journal Sentinel's attempt at the 53 man roster:

They have the Packers keeping four running backs (Wynn being the addition from my attempt) and an extra safety (Rouse). Conversely they have predicted that Underwood will be cut and have Harrell going on IR - which is looking more likely by the day.
Old 04.09.2009, 09:49 AM
All Pro

I will just be happy if Moll is cut. At least that saves about 30 yards or so a game on penalties he would have caused.
Old 04.09.2009, 02:34 PM
All Pro

Clearly Jackon’s injury is going to keep him out for the start of the year so they need the extra RB as cover. I guess they like their chances of getting Sutton through waivers a couple of weeks down the line better than now as a side bonus.

I question keeping Rouse over Underwood, especially as Blackmon and Lee always seem to be getting nicked up. Sure we have Bush who can play some corner, but I hate him at corner, he is terrible in coverage. I think Rouse has great potential but he isn’t a good fit for this D. Why keep him when Underwood fits great and also has a lot of potential?

I want to squeeze Jones on the 53 but if you need the extra RB to start the year then he’s the one to miss out.

And I won’t miss Moll but I think he’s done a good job for GB within his limitations. He got on the field as a rookie without disgracing himself, he’s been a useful player for us for very little money. I imagine he’ll find a place in the league for at least another couple of years as a versatile backup.
Old 05.09.2009, 03:47 PM
All Pro

Just a note my final revision to the 53 before the Packers start making their cuts would be swapping Harrell (by putting him on injured reserve) for Aaron Rouse. I don't expect I'll be close, but it'll be interesting come 9pm (I think).
Old 05.09.2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Well, apparently you've given the Ravens a conditional 2010 draft pick for CB/S Derrick Martin, so I guess that ruins everyone's predictions!
Old 05.09.2009, 08:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeVanCleef View Post
Well, apparently you've given the Ravens a conditional 2010 draft pick for CB/S Derrick Martin, so I guess that ruins everyone's predictions!
Ha, yep, I've just read that too. Martin probably takes Underwood's place on the final roster (either that or they'll put Pat Lee on injured reserve).

I'm not exactly thrilled with the move. Derrick Martin was behind Frank Walker on the Ravens depth chart - the same Frank Walker the Packers released a year ago.
Old 05.09.2009, 08:40 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengermassey View Post
Ha, yep, I've just read that too. Martin probably takes Underwood's place on the final roster (either that or they'll put Pat Lee on injured reserve).

I'm not exactly thrilled with the move. Derrick Martin was behind Frank Walker on the Ravens depth chart - the same Frank Walker the Packers released a year ago.
He's been playing well this pre-season and some ravens fans were surprised to see him go.

As for Walker, I think he's got photos of Ozzie and Harbaugh.
Old 05.09.2009, 09:08 PM
All Pro

Well it seems it was more than a pick that left in in the trade - http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/09/05/1/

Just glad it wasn't for Wells as rumours have suggested in recent days

Last edited by dungyismylover; 05.09.2009 at 09:13 PM.