Packers news chat etc. - Page 103 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 02.11.2005, 08:33 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to wozzer
Default Re:Packers news chat etc.

Not to much unless TT has something up his sleeve,does seem strange to waive him when we are short there,i can only think that they have something planned.
Sponsored Links
Old 02.11.2005, 08:34 PM
All Pro

[quote author=The Seven Blocks Of Granite link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=855#msg329363 date=1130963592]
Not to much unless TT has something up his sleeve,does seem strange to waive him when we are short there,i can only think that they have something planned.
[/quote]

I see an ex-Dallas Running Back heading our way, still don't help in the secondary, we needed him, even if it was for Nickle plays....
Old 02.11.2005, 10:15 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to neenpa

[quote author=The Seven Blocks Of Granite link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=855#msg329360 date=1130963441]
Big news guys, Joey Thomas has just been waved !!

Leaves a nice spot on the roster for A-Train !!!
[/quote]

Wow! Did not see that coming. I thought we'd give him atleast until the end of the season to prove his worth.
Old 02.11.2005, 10:17 PM
MVP

[quote author=Big Tone #94 link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg329006 date=1130943867]
[quote author=croxall link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg328992 date=1130941844]
I think it will be close.

The Steelers are always tough to beat because they run the ball so well and stop the run so well. Their secondary is (has been) the weaker part of their D.

I think we can do enough to stop them running the ball. If we can, as you say it will be close…
[/quote]

I don’t think we are going to win out over the Steelers. Even though Sherman is 6-0 against teams that have been in the Super Bowl the year before, they have such a good running game, and a Defence that, when it is playing well, can shut down any team any place.
I can see the Steelers trying their best for this one, because they are @ Lambeau against one of the most respected teams in the league.

I hope we try and do like we always do, because we are the Packers, and we never go down without a fight, and it is our house and we need it.

But there are limits to what you can do with such a depleted roster, and when you are fighting against a 1-6 record.

I see the Steelers winning out, but I see us playing the best game we have played so far.

Cause this game does mean something, but we can't fill the gaps in our team adequately to win such a hard game.

[/quote]

Steelers wernt in the superbowl matey
Old 02.11.2005, 10:19 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Jiz link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=855#msg329437 date=1130969874]
[quote author=Big Tone #94 link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg329006 date=1130943867]
[quote author=croxall link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=840#msg328992 date=1130941844]
I think it will be close.

The Steelers are always tough to beat because they run the ball so well and stop the run so well. Their secondary is (has been) the weaker part of their D.

I think we can do enough to stop them running the ball. If we can, as you say it will be close…
[/quote]

I don’t think we are going to win out over the Steelers. Even though Sherman is 6-0 against teams that have been in the Super Bowl the year before, they have such a good running game, and a Defence that, when it is playing well, can shut down any team any place.
I can see the Steelers trying their best for this one, because they are @ Lambeau against one of the most respected teams in the league.

I hope we try and do like we always do, because we are the Packers, and we never go down without a fight, and it is our house and we need it.

But there are limits to what you can do with such a depleted roster, and when you are fighting against a 1-6 record.

I see the Steelers winning out, but I see us playing the best game we have played so far.

Cause this game does mean something, but we can't fill the gaps in our team adequately to win such a hard game.

[/quote]

Steelers wernt in the superbowl matey
[/quote]

I know, I remembered that today, but its worth note when we play Phili later in the year :P
Old 03.11.2005, 12:51 AM
Banned

I'm surprised Thomas has been waived - I wonder whether things have gone on behind the scenes.

He spent all Summer in GB, worked hard. Leaves us very thin at CB now, let's hope Al doesn't go down!
Old 03.11.2005, 01:00 AM
All Pro

[quote author=croxall link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=855#msg329533 date=1130979086]
I'm surprised Thomas has been waived - I wonder whether things have gone on behind the scenes.

He spent all Summer in GB, worked hard. Leaves us very thin at CB now, let's hope Al doesn't go down!
[/quote]

The next guy on the roster is a rookie, Mike Hawkins, he is on the right, Jason Horton is the 2nd string now on the left. I spose Marviel Underwood is going to see more plays now.

I don't see why this has happened, he was looking to be, in not life long, at least a few season worth, Packer

Old 03.11.2005, 07:59 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to wozzer

I think somethings gone on,although i think it was Thomas who blew a coverage against the vikes on the pass completion before their winning field goal,i think i remember the commentators saying he defended the inside and gave the reciever to much room instead of defending him tight and on the outside which would have stopped him from going Out of bounds.
Also against the Bengals he caused a pen on a 3rd and 5 incompletion which kept the drive going and ended up with the Bengals scoring a TD.

Maybe they've just lost all patience and confidence in the Kid.

We've also just picked up rookie Jeremy Thornburg off waivers who's a DB,he was with the 9ers and the Eagles before.
Old 03.11.2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

Green Bay releases CB Thomas
Move makes room for rookie safety

Green Bay - It took only the chance to pick up a virtually unknown rookie on waivers to motivate the Green Bay Packers to release cornerback Joey Thomas, a player they once hoped would be a fixture in their starting lineup.

In just a year and a half, Joey Thomas went from receiving a $2.1 million signing bonus to being cut.

On Wednesday, the National Football League granted the Packers' waiver claim made on 6-foot, 196-pound safety Jeremy Thornburg, who was let go by the San Francisco 49ers on Tuesday. With their roster already full at 53 players, the Packers needed to make room for Thornburg, and they decided Thomas would be the one to go.

A third-round pick in the 2004 draft out of Montana State, Thomas had been on a slippery slope since injuring his calf in training camp on June 30 and reached the point of no return when his play became so poor he was banished to the sideline Sunday in the middle of the 21-14 loss to Cincinnati. In just a year and a half, Thomas went from receiving a $2.1 million signing bonus to being cut.

"Basically, we're going in another direction," said coach Mike Sherman, who was the general manager when Thomas was drafted. "(We'll) give the other guys a chance to play and wish him well."

Sherman said Thomas' release was not the direct result of the second-year cornerback's illegal hands-to-the-face penalty, which wiped out a third-down stop against the Bengals. Thomas not only committed the penalty but fell down on the play and allowed his man to run free. When he came to the sideline, defensive coordinator Jim Bates screamed at him.

Sherman immediately benched Thomas from his assignment as the right cornerback in the nickel (five defensive backs) and dime (six defensive backs) packages and after the game Thomas complained to a newspaper and television station that he was undeserving of the demotion. Although Sherman said his comments weren't the reason he was released, he said it did shed more light on Thomas' view of accountability.

"I think you have to be accountable and honest about where you are in order to make progress," Sherman said. "We all have to. As a team we have to. We have to be, 'Hey, this is where we are. This is what we're doing wrong. This is what we have to work on. This is how we have to get better.' As a team you have to look at yourself that way, and obviously individually as well."

For a coach who is trying to hold together a 1-6 team and avoid disharmony in the locker room, it might have seemed necessary to release Thomas. But the fact is that a decision had already been made within the organization that Thomas wasn't going to be the player the Packers thought he was and it was time to move on.

General manager Ted Thompson had targeted Thornburg, a scrappy rookie free agent from Northern Arizona who made Philadelphia's 53-man roster on the strength of his special teams play. The Eagles cut him Oct. 10 to make room for some injury replacements and intended to sign him back the next week, but San Francisco signed him and he played in two games before being waived again Tuesday.

"He's someone we've been watching since training camp and kind of took a shine to in the pre-season games," Thompson said. "He didn't play a lot at safety (in San Francisco) but he played special teams. He's a pretty good athlete. He's rangy. He looks kind of like Tim Hauck."

Thornburg was expected to be at practice today and could be active Sunday against Pittsburgh. With Thomas' release, the Packers have four cornerbacks and four safeties on the roster, one fewer defensive back than when they started the season.

"You always assess where you are individually and team-wise," Bates said. "We're trying to improve the team. It's a business. We're trying to upgrade and do what's best for the team."

Cutting Thomas did not come cheaply. The Packers don't have to pay the remaining $161,470 left on Thomas' $305,000 base salary this season but they will have to take a $1.05 million cap hit next year as well as continue to count $525,000 against the cap this year based on the signing bonus he received.

Thomas is the highest Packers' draft choice to be jettisoned in less than two full seasons since 1999 second-round pick Fred Vinson was traded to Seattle for Ahman Green on April 15, 2000. Vinson lasted 11½ months and Thomas lasted 18.

Thomas joins Jonathan Brown ('98), Brett Conway ('97), Mark D'Onofrio ('92) and Chuck Webb ('91) as Packers players chosen in the third round or higher who, since 1990, played fewer than two seasons with the team. He is the only player from the '04 draft who is not on the 53-man roster.

"I think he's a good kid," Thompson said. "He's very young. I don't think there was any question he was trying to be good. I just don't think it worked out. Maybe it will work out for him somewhere else."

Thomas had moved ahead of fellow '04 draft choice Ahmad Carroll during off-season workouts, but he missed two weeks with a calf injury, then missed a week with a hip injury and ultimately lost his job to Carroll. Thomas started the season playing as the slot cornerback in the nickel, but against New Orleans Az-Zahir Hakim made him look helpless and against Minnesota he blew a coverage that allowed the Vikings to complete a pass that set up the winning field goal.

His penalty and poor play against the Bengals apparently convinced the Packers he wasn't going to amount to much.

"I'm not bitter with the Packers," Thomas said in a telephone interview. "I'm thankful for the opportunity. Things just didn't work out. Who's to say why? I don't feel like it was personalities or temperaments or anything. Things just didn't come together. It hurts a little bit, but it's an opportunity to start over and move forward."

Asked if he thought he was worthy of playing at this level, Thomas said, "I know I'm an NFL player. No one can convince me otherwise. I have the ability. It's one of those things where it didn't work out, but it doesn't change what I believe in myself."

Thomas has had a rivalry with Carroll since the day the two were drafted and it escalated into a fight outside a meeting room last year in which Carroll attacked Thomas. Part of Thomas' frustration with being benched Sunday was that Carroll remained in the game despite committing four penalties and giving up a 38-yard completion.

Asked who would wind up being the better player, Thomas said, "I guess only time will tell. I wish everybody the best of luck."
Old 03.11.2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

Still not sure I like the move. Why not release Horton and demote Thomas?

On the other hand maybe this move will send a powerful message to the rest of the team that we are going to demand higher standards.

I know I like Joey Thomas in the game more than Jason Horton. He's blown a couple of big plays but I still like him more...

I'm pleased to see Mike Hawkins moving up though. I like that guy, I think he's going to be a good player for us...

As for Anthony Thomas - well maybe the Pack will have him work out next week or something? You'd have to think he's probably an upgrade for us. Though I like the look of that Gado kid.