Packers news chat etc. - Page 53 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 24.01.2005, 06:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Re:Packers news chat etc.

[quote author=Culpepper2Moss link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=360#msg160767 date=1106586981]
Hey Pack-Heads, :P

Quote:
MIAMI -- Former Miami Dolphins interim coach Jim Bates is the front-runner to become the Green Bay Packers' next defensive coordinator, a newspaper reported today.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, citing an anonymous source, said Bates is the top candidate to replace Bob Slowick, who would become the Packers' secondary coach.

Slowick remains the Packers' defensive coordinator, but there has been speculation he might be fired or demoted.

Jeff Blumb, a spokesman for the Packers, did not immediately return a call today from The Associated Press seeking comment on the report.

Bates was the Dolphins' defensive coordinator since 2000 before he became the team's interim head coach at midseason when Dave Wannstedt resigned. The team, 1-8 when Wannstedt quit, went 3-4 for Bates. The Dolphins hired Nick Saban after the season to be their permanent coach and Bates decided to leave.

Bates declined comment on whether he will be headed to Green Bay.

``There have been a lot of things going on in the past week that I'm not free to talk about,'' Bates told the Sun-Sentinel. ``I wish I could tell you, but I can't.''
If he can make your D half as good as the 'phins you might have a chance next season. Don't know if he's a miracle worker though :
[/quote]

Man this is great news, Bob Slowik could not make the step up and now if we do get Bates and make some good off-season moves for defensive players then we certainly got a chance
Sponsored Links
Old 24.01.2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Bowler

Recently i have heard these rumours about what the Pack will do:

*Darren Sharper will be asked to rework his contract and if he is unwilling to then he will be cut.

*Nick Barnett will move to Weak Side Linebacker because he is to undersized for Middle Linebacker and Na'ill Diggs will move to Strong side linebacker.

*A new Middle linebacker will be picked up this offseason either in the draft or free agency.

*Hannibal Navies will be let go as he is in the final year off his contract. Cledius Hunt will also be asked to rework his contract.

*Mike Flannagan will move to Guard depending on who leaves Whale or Rivera and Scott Wells who impressed in his rookie year will move to centre.

Old 24.01.2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Bowler

[quote author=packer_fan84 link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=360#msg160828 date=1106590827]

*Darren Sharper will be asked to rework his contract and if he is unwilling to then he will be cut.

*Nick Barnett will move to Weak Side Linebacker because he is to undersized for Middle Linebacker and Na'ill Diggs will move to Strong side linebacker.

*A new Middle linebacker will be picked up this offseason either in the draft or free agency.

*Hannibal Navies will be let go as he is in the final year off his contract. Cledius Hunt will also be asked to rework his contract.

*Mike Flannagan will move to Guard depending on who leaves Whale or Rivera and Scott Wells who impressed in his rookie year will move to centre.

[/quote]

The Sharper rumour is not a new one (I posted it a few weeks back) and I believe it to be fact rather than rumour.

The Middle Linebacker stuff is complete conjecture. There are no plans, at this stage, to move Barnett although it would be a good move in my view. Remember that the Packers DC position is up in the air at the moment. Whoever ends up there (Slowik or Bates or somebody else) will make this move.

Navies being let go was muted about two months ago on WTMJ. It may happen, probably won't.

Hunt being asked to re-work his contract is fact not rumour. However, the Packers have no leverage in his case because the cap position means that they would be very unlikely to cut him.

The stuff about Flanagan won't happen. If one of the guards leaves, then Tauscher moves to right guard and Kevin Barry becomes the starter at right tackle....the Packers have been working towards this for a little while now. The Packers like Scott Wells a lot, and they also like the no.2 center Grey Ruegamer. It is likely that all 3 of Flanagan, Ruegamer and Wells will remain with the team next season but that Ruegamer becomes the no.1 back-up at guard. Flanagan has too much respect at center both within the organisation and from scouts of other teams to be moved from his most effective position.

PS. Flanagan has no history at guard either, but can play a decent role at tackle (which he did the year before last year) should it become necessary in an emergency.
Old 24.01.2005, 08:44 PM
Pro Bowler

[quote author=pgoj link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=360#msg160865 date=1106593858]
[quote author=packer_fan84 link=board=1;threadid=2451;start=360#msg160828 date=1106590827]

[/quote]

The Sharper rumour is not a new one (I posted it a few weeks back) and I believe it to be fact rather than rumour.

The Middle Linebacker stuff is complete conjecture. There are no plans, at this stage, to move Barnett although it would be a good move in my view. Remember that the Packers DC position is up in the air at the moment. Whoever ends up there (Slowik or Bates or somebody else) will make this move.

Navies being let go was muted about two months ago on WTMJ. It may happen, probably won't.

Hunt being asked to re-work his contract is fact not rumour. However, the Packers have no leverage in his case because the cap position means that they would be very unlikely to cut him.

The stuff about Flanagan won't happen. If one of the guards leaves, then Tauscher moves to right guard and Kevin Barry becomes the starter at right tackle....the Packers have been working towards this for a little while now. The Packers like Scott Wells a lot, and they also like the no.2 center Grey Ruegamer. It is likely that all 3 of Flanagan, Ruegamer and Wells will remain with the team next season but that Ruegamer becomes the no.1 back-up at guard. Flanagan has too much respect at center both within the organisation and from scouts of other teams to be moved from his most effective position.

PS. Flanagan has no history at guard either, but can play a decent role at tackle (which he did the year before last year) should it become necessary in an emergency.
[/quote]

Do you reckon we should keep Sharper? I have mixed feelings about the guy, yes he does make big plays, but this year his big plays have been infrequent and he has mostly showed some absolutly shite tackling. Also is salary is too high.

Barnett moving to WLB would be a great move because lets fave it hes too small to play MLB in a 4-3 scheme. It definatly wont happen but i would like to see the Pack change to a 3-4 scheme. This would mean Barnett could stay at MLB and KGB given a chance at OLB because he would be too small to play DE on the 3-4. Grady Jackson could do the job on the line but if we changed to 3-4 it would require us to pick up a two new linebackers, a new DE, and we obviusley need to improve at safety. Mark Roman was a huge dissapointment.
Old 25.01.2005, 07:58 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to wozzer

Its official now,Bates is our new D-Coach,which i think is great news.

Its up to him now what he wants to do with the D,all those rumours/facts may change now.
Old 25.01.2005, 09:32 AM
Starter

I agree, its great news, and exactly what I said we needed halfway thru this past season. It will be interesting to see what changes he makes to the squad and strategy.
Old 25.01.2005, 10:10 AM
MVP

Yes very pleased with that, bates is a poven top coach and we shoul see significant improvements! ;D
Old 25.01.2005, 10:12 AM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to neenpa

Terrific news.

Obviously hes gunna have to be a miracle worker to turn our defense into a respectable unit. But still, its a step in the right direction for our team.
Old 25.01.2005, 11:15 AM
All Pro

Great news,
Just remember too, our rookie corners will be wiser with him teaching them, they got better under Slowik last season,so we should hopefully see a bigger learning curve.
Old 25.01.2005, 11:29 AM
MVP

Just thought I'd pop on here and offer my good luck to you with Jim Bates.

Cracking coach, just look at the discipline and drive he brought to us over the last few weeks of the season as interim HC. Our D has always been tough under him for the last 4/5 years.

He basically played with corners pressing, a lot of man to man coverage (it helped having Surtain and Madison in tandem), not an excessive blitzer - although that changed a fair bit when we got Seau, and he likes quick linebackers.

Shame to see him go, but with the clear-out and re-staffing of the Fins it probably made sense for him to step down, although I do think Saban wanted him to stay as DC.