The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 1 vs Bears - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 14.09.2009, 04:33 AM
All Pro

Default The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 1 vs Bears

So I thought it would be fun to give my take on each game, giving my view on what shone out, and who deserves some mentions. So here it goes -

The Good -Pass Rush

The front 7 did a good job stuffing the run as well, but the amount of pressure put on Cutler was unreal. The game also saw a lot of 2 d-lineman looks, and to see the trouble they caused was a real eye-opener to what Capers can offer the D this year. Jolly and Jenkins were superb, and imagine what will happen when you add Raji into that mix as well.

The Bad - Secondary

Many things were mediocre in this game, but I settled on the secondary despite the interceptions after considering who they were going up against. Woodson and Harris looked uncomfortable playing loose coverage, and a few too many sloppy mistakes were made (I'm looking at you Collins on the Hester TD).

The Ugly - Pass protection

You had to see this coming. The first quarter filled me with some promise, but the Chicago line owned the trenches throughout the game. Had Rodgers not learned a trick or two about playing under pressure without protection from Big Ben in Pittsburgh, the O-line would have lost the game for GB today.

MVP - Johnny Jolly

Disruptive, caused big problems even against multiple blocks and had the play of the game with the INT.

LVP (LEAST valuable player) - Alan Babre

Yeah, the less said about his performance the better.

So that's my take, feel free to add/dispute.

Last edited by dungyismylover; 14.09.2009 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 14.09.2009, 09:00 AM
Pro Bowler

Send a message via ICQ to Max_Mac Send a message via AIM to Max_Mac Send a message via MSN to Max_Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Max_Mac Send a message via Skype™ to Max_Mac

I honestly feel like Barbre needs to be replaced. His performance was scary, he was letting everything through and couldn't even stay on his feet at some points. He's the main reason Rodgers was so inaccurate throughout most of the game.

The defense played extremely well, and I thought the secondary was again the defining part of our game. Ryan Grant looked good out there too picking up his game as time went on.

Biggest story being Aaron Rodgers. As they say, "big players make big plays". Finally he can get the monkey off his back.
Old 14.09.2009, 09:05 AM
All Pro

Alan Babre was awful the worrying thing is the bears didn't blitz much and came with the front 4 most of the time and they still couldn't protect Rodgers .

Mark Tauscher is still available might be worth a look. and it might be time to actually in vest in a high draft pick next year along the OL
Old 14.09.2009, 09:41 AM
Starter

Babre flopped it for us right from kick off had trouble and unsettling rodgers i think had we had that covered rodgers would've shone all the way through the match his performance was brilliant and he pulled it out when it counted.

Secondary should have alot more interceptions dropping the catches was a lil troublesome but letting the bears wr was an issue too. (Had to say ref made the dumbest call ive seen saying al harris made illegal contact on the bears last scoring drive ball shouldve been ours then and it shouldve been game over too!).

D-line had a brilliant game they need to keep it up also ryan grants contribution was good and much needed forced runs through and looked strong!

good win over the bears still room for improvement however!
Old 14.09.2009, 10:09 AM
All Pro

Another point I wanted to make was about Jordy Nelson. No doubt about it, he played returns very well, but he disappeared when playing WR. I don't have the statistics but I don't think he caught a pass last night and he most definitely dropped a couple.
Old 14.09.2009, 10:15 AM
Pro Bowler

Send a message via ICQ to Max_Mac Send a message via AIM to Max_Mac Send a message via MSN to Max_Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Max_Mac Send a message via Skype™ to Max_Mac

Mason Crosby got it back on track after his first miss. Special teams on a whole looked vastly improved from last season.
Old 14.09.2009, 10:17 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungyismylover View Post
Another point I wanted to make was about Jordy Nelson. No doubt about it, he played returns very well, but he disappeared when playing WR. I don't have the statistics but I don't think he caught a pass last night and he most definitely dropped a couple.
I think it was that kind of night, passes were being overthrown, underthrown and dropped on both sides.
Old 14.09.2009, 11:43 AM
Pro Bowler

The Good: D-Line - Pass rush was excellent particularly from those not necessarily starters like Jolly and Chillar.

The Bad: Drops - Whether it be the WR corps or the Tramon Williams butterfingers show there were far too many.

The Ugly: Alan Barbre - Say no more...rarely have I seen a DE simply run past any OT with such ease and lack of challenge.
Old 14.09.2009, 05:48 PM
All Pro

You would hope that the secondary mishaps were due to mis-communication and the newness of the 3-4, so that should be cleared up. Barbre, on the other hand, has no such excuse he was just beaten 1 on 1 (sometimes he even had help and still got beat).

Tauscher would be a great addition because he would take little or no time to gel into the offensive line because he knows the playbook and the guys around him. Jon Runyan is out there as well, but it might take him weeks to get on the field. In the meantime I'd seriously consider moving Sitton or Colledge to RT and inserting Wells (who was very unlucky to be benched in the pre-season) back at center and shifting Spitz back to one of the guard spots.

On a positive note the D-line played excellently, though they slowed down towards the end of the game - hopefully the return of Raji will keep guys like Jolly and Pickett fresh (Jolly was carted off at the end of the game with cramps). The linebackers were pretty stout, finally Brandon Chillar is getting more playing time he's been the Packers best linebacker for more than a season.

On offense I fully expect Rodgers to rebound next week, but the running game is a big worry. Even with Urlacher (and many other Bears) out, the Packers couldn't get much going. Just like last season when the defense expects run the Packers struggle to get beyond the line of scrimmage.
Old 14.09.2009, 07:47 PM
Pro

the defence looked very good arron looked a bit rattled after been sacked i think our running game needs to be a lot better sill. We gave cutler a good going over