Hello. - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 03.10.2009, 12:50 AM
Rookie

Default Hello.

I'm new here and was surpised to see the amount of Packers fans here in the UK. I'm sure there must be a thread already saying this, but I can't find ti so I'll ask; why do you follow them?

I am not massively in to NFL, but I'm marrying a Wisconsin girl next year and after being there for a few Thanksgivings etc couldn't help but follow the Badgers (which was what got me more interested in American football), Packers and keep an eye on the Brewers. Although I'm told to pay more attention to the Corn Huskers.

It's funny once how i started to notice the odd bit of Packers merchandise that people wear in London, so that also makes me think that they are quite popular over here. I guess they are a team purists would follow, but Wi isn't the first place to spring to most people in the UK's mind when you mention the U.S.

Anyway, just curious as to anybody's connections with the place.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.10.2009, 01:34 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris197337 View Post
I'm new here and was surpised to see the amount of Packers fans here in the UK. I'm sure there must be a thread already saying this, but I can't find ti so I'll ask; why do you follow them?

I am not massively in to NFL, but I'm marrying a Wisconsin girl next year and after being there for a few Thanksgivings etc couldn't help but follow the Badgers (which was what got me more interested in American football), Packers and keep an eye on the Brewers. Although I'm told to pay more attention to the Corn Huskers.

It's funny once how i started to notice the odd bit of Packers merchandise that people wear in London, so that also makes me think that they are quite popular over here. I guess they are a team purists would follow, but Wi isn't the first place to spring to most people in the UK's mind when you mention the U.S.

Anyway, just curious as to anybody's connections with the place.

Thanks.
The Packers are reasonably well followed in this country, but still lag behind the Dolphins/Steelers/Patriots who have all been title contenders in the years when the NFL over here has been at it's most popular (the 80's and now).

For me, I decided to follow the Packers because of their history and the fact they're the only community-owned franchise. Equally, I have relatives who support the Packers largely because of their success in the 1990s.
Old 08.10.2009, 07:08 PM
Rockhound42

I was about 8 or 9 and my Dad started watching the channel 4 coverage. At the time, Green and Gold were my favourite colours, as simple as that. Now with all the history etc, and having watched for 20ish years I'll always be a Green Bay girl

(Even though my favourite colours are now dark reds and purples!)
Old 09.10.2009, 12:28 PM
Starter

The Packers are amazingly well supported in this country. I thought the same as you... until I went to the game at Wembley last year and was met by a wall of green and gold at the tailgate party - including a couple of nice young cheeseheads.

I started following the Packers when my friend in NYC sold the idea of the NFL to me 3 years ago. Me being me, I bought it and from there began a love affair with all things Green Bay Packers. Christina told me to do my homework on "this quarterback named Brett Favre!" So I did, and that was me.

Sunday nights are ritualistic in my house... no-one gets near the computer after 5:30pm.
Old 09.10.2009, 02:20 PM
Pro Bowler

For me it was Brett Farve.

In the 80's i had a brief spell of liking the 49ers but that was a glory hunting type thing with the Joe Montana, Jerry Rice show. I got into NFL and the only player i really had heard of was Farve so i decided to follow his team.

Since then i have found out about how historically successful they have been and now its nice to support a not so fashionable side

However i still like Farve Viking or no Viking.
Old 09.10.2009, 08:38 PM
Pro

I first got into NFL about 2-3 years ago after an all-night drinking session with a buddy who is a 49ers fan.

When I sobered up I looked at the different teams and fell in love with the Packers, it was a combination of things for me really, Brett Favre, community owned, oldest franchise, Lambeau Field, Vince Lombardi, the loyal fans, cheeseheads etc.
Old 10.10.2009, 02:57 PM
Team Captain

I live in Kerry in Ireland and Gaelic football is a big sport in Ireland and Kerry also wear green and gold(yellow for packers) jersys and when I was in school (mid 90's) one of the other guys was wearing Packers gear which introduced me to the Packers and when I got into NFL I supported the Packers
Old 15.10.2009, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Got into nfl in the 90s when No.4 was lighting them up, so followed them. Stayed a fan when learnt more about them and their history. GO PACKERS!!!
Old 27.10.2009, 09:25 PM
All Pro

Hi all,I started watching the nfl when it was originally screened on ch4 in the early 80s and for years I never really followed any particular team.Then in 97 I spent several months in canada and it coincided with the superbowl in feb 98,the bar was full of fans and it was an awesome atmosphere and my love of the game was rekindled.So there and then I decided I would be a packer fan,not sure why I did'nt go for the broncos probably because I'm not a big fan of horses lol,Since then I've become besotted with them buying as much merchandise and paraphenalia as possible,as it happens my brother is a bears fan he chose them back when we watched it together as kids in the 80s,so you can imagine theres lots of rivalry now,its great to finally know theres other cheeseheads out there...GO PACK GO
Old 28.10.2009, 01:56 AM
All Pro

My father was a native of Wisconsin, which is where I was born and raised until the age of 6. Visiting American family and my dad's passion (before he passed) instilled a sense of belonging to the Packers in me, and I have been an avid follower since an exchange year at the University of Illinois whilst at uni introduced me fully to the culture and rules of the game. The result of these two influences upon me have resulted in an extremely passionate and a developingly geeky approach to the game.

Last edited by dungyismylover; 28.10.2009 at 01:59 AM.