The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 7 at Cleveland - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 26.10.2009, 02:32 AM
All Pro

Default The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 7 at Cleveland

Sorry if this post is a little rough around the edges, a day of drinking at wembley and staying up this late watching the packers game does not bode well. Bear in mind whilst reading the below that whilst they were playing a ****-poor team on both sides of the ball (ranked last on D and above only Oakland on O), it was still a convincing performance.

The Good - The O-line

Perhaps the good belonged to Rodgers as he went 15-20 for 246 yards and 3 TDs. Perhaps it should go to the first performance from Ryan Grant in what feels like 50 years (27 carries for 147 yards and a TD). However, one stat stood out from today's game - ZERO SACKS. Yes, it was Cleveland who's pass rush starts and ends with an ever declining Shaun Rodgers, but let me repeat - ZERO SACKS. simply, the O-line actually did its job for once.

The Bad - Penalties

Thankfully there was little opposition to take advantage of them, but 8 penalties for 70 yards continues the worrying trend we have all come to expect. It's ill-disciplined, reflects poor coaching and could really hurt GB in games to come. STAMP THEM OUT PLEASE.

The Ugly - BYE

For once, I'm going to skip this section. This is a combination of no part of the game perticularly deserving it and wanting to feel positive about the team this week, but I'm not saying there were no faults.

MVP - Ryan Grant

See above for information, but essentially his running opened up the pass because there was an actual threat before the 4th quarter. I doubt it was the introduction of Ahmad Green which lit a fire under his backside, but something did.

Other notes -

Quinn Johnson showed why he was drafted. Great in protection today.
T.J. Lang had another good performance at LT.
Both the Vikings and the Bears lost in convincing performances by Pittsburgh and Cincy respectively, putting GB back into a more manageable position within the division. (NOTE TO DOM CAPERS - Watch the PIT-MIN film. Watch it again. Now copy the steelers defense and watch Favre struggle like we know he can in Lambeau)

Last edited by dungyismylover; 26.10.2009 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 26.10.2009, 10:29 AM
Starter

I'd agree with pretty much all that you said.

We looked to establish the running game earlier, Grant & the O-Line seemed to work well picking up a fair few 6-8 yard rushes, it will give them a good amount of confidence going into next weeks game, although I can't see a repeat performance of 145 yards against the Williams Bruvas!

The Penalties, although they are never good, I think we only had one on offense (holding i think???) which is a massive improvement on previous weeks, however defensive penalities need to improve else other teams will hurt us.

And the biggest improvement of all, Rodgers not being put on his ass! The O-line stepped up for yesterdays game, not once can I remember him being put under any pressure of significance. Although again the quality of opponent should be taken into consideration, it will give the line some needed confidence!
Old 26.10.2009, 12:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownp View Post
The Penalties, although they are never good, I think we only had one on offense (holding i think???) which is a massive improvement on previous weeks, however defensive penalities need to improve else other teams will hurt us.
The Pats had a similar situation yesterday. The amount of penalties committed was ridiculous for a team you expect to be disciplined, but ultimately the opposition didnt take advantage so it was irrelevant. Still, this is probably the most positive I have felt post game this season, and I'm getting pumped about the Vikings game this weekend. This could possibly be the most excited I have been since the NFC game vs NYG in 07, and hopefully it will end the same way with Favre throwing a pick in the clutch moment .
Old 26.10.2009, 02:04 PM
Starter

we played much better offensively it was a massive improvement with the O line and running game be pretty good, I just hope the vikings are on a long downhill road after this loss and next week we have to sack favre!
Old 26.10.2009, 10:36 PM
All Pro

i agree with all what has been said,i listened to the game on the radio and we seemed comfortable throughout albeit against a woeful browns,i am a little concerned however with the injuries we are picking up to key players,whilst they only seem like niggley little ones they all add up,also the penalties,whilst we all know our secondary likes to play rough,sometimes they seem to get a bit carried away,yesterday it didnt cost us but against a better offence we could pay the price,the o-line was much steadier this week i dont recall a single jump offside (take note mr clifton),all in all a good performance and nice result,now lets bring on the vikes and a certain mr favre i cant wait gonna be a classic i hope
Old 28.10.2009, 09:32 AM
Starter

You can only beat what is put in front of you, and they have done that in the last 2 weeks, and comprehensively.

Sure there are issues, no team will be perfect, but the teams that will progress must have a running game as well as a passing game, McCarthy seemed determined to show that on Sunday. Just against the better teams his play calling needs to be more inventive, he needs to mix up the running and passing game and keep the opposition O line guessing more.

The O line did perform better, but also Rodgers moved the ball quicker, it was a combination of both. Look at Rodgers stats in the last 4 games, we have a real marquee QB, it now looks like his team and not Favres, and it is imperitive he is protected in the pocket, and when he is, the production follows.

I think Clay Matthews has taken his chance well and gives a new dimension to the team, and despite criticism, I am still a huge Kampman fan, and his qualities are now showing through in the 3-4 D line, so confidence is sky high in the defence, and has risen well on the offence.

Sunday is a huge test, that will have a massive impact on the rest of the season, I am going for a 10 point game for GB.
Old 31.10.2009, 02:28 PM
Starter

The Good - Packers won, Vikes and Bears both lost and the Lions weren't even playing!!

Bring on Brett at Lambeau tomorrow.