Rugby League - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Old 23.07.2007, 09:02 AM
All Pro

Default Rugby League

Seems the existing thread got lost in the changes to the board, so a new one.

What an interesting weekend it was. With the very inconsistent form of the Rhinos at the moment it is not that surprising they went down to Wakey who have a decent side, though still would count as an upset.

But surely no one could have predicted Salford beating Bradford. And with Hull KR being thrashed by Wire (lol) it has turned around the battle for survival at the bottom of the table.

Despite poor starts both Hull and Wire also seem to be coming into form at the right time making a run for the playoffs.

Depending on what happens at Wigan's salary cap hearing this week the top 6 could end up looking very familiar, when only a few months ago it was the likes of Quins, Hudds and Catalans making a claim for the post-season.

Michael.
Sponsored Links
Old 23.07.2007, 01:03 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Rugby League

Was at the Willows on Friday and it was a great performance and win. Still can't understand where the performance came from after we got battered by Warrington the week before. Hoping to go to the KC next Sunday but I'll definitely be going to the Hull KR game the following weekend. Hopefully we'll do a number on them and send them back where they belong as they're probably one of the only so-called lesser teams that I can't stand, especially the large majority of their fans who are just obnoxious and seriously deluded.
Old 25.07.2007, 10:42 PM
All Pro

Wigan docked 4 points for salary cap breach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ue/6896583.stm

Once again the cheats prosper. The irony is that Dave Whelan argued for Sheffield United to be re-instated to the Premier League, while the other club he's involved with cheated their way to Super League survival - talk about hypocrisy.

Going £220,000 over a salary cap of £1.65 million is blatantly cheating and a 4 point deduction is hardly a deterrent when they're still pretty much going to make the playoffs and are Challenge Cup semi-finalists. The RFL make the Premier League look competent
Old 25.07.2007, 11:29 PM
All Pro

Salary cap for last season was £1.75m, although still a bad breach.

Under the new rules agreed by all clubs last season the penalty should have been a 12 point deduction plus the possibility of a further deduction for damaging the integrity of the game. But because Saints and Wigan having somehow convinved the tribunal to agree to use the original rules it has very possibly saved them from relegation this year.

Michael.
Old 26.07.2007, 12:07 AM
All Pro

[quote author=apodo link=board=23;threadid=27157;start=0#msg696914 date=1185406175]
Salary cap for last season was £1.75m, although still a bad breach.

Under the new rules agreed by all clubs last season the penalty should have been a 12 point deduction plus the possibility of a further deduction for damaging the integrity of the game. But because Saints and Wigan having somehow convinved the tribunal to agree to use the original rules it has very possibly saved them from relegation this year.

Michael.
[/quote]

The agreement by the 12 clubs to double this years points deductions was never finalised in writing from what I understand. It was more of a 'gentlemen's agreement', which is appaling on the RFL's part, and this fact was exploited by Wigan's lawyers meaning that they were able to allow last year's penalties to be administered instead.

I suspect they're over the cap this year as well but seeing as it's looking unlikely there'll be relegation next season because of the introduction of the franchise system the season after that, any points deductions won't make much of a difference once again. Roll on the introduction of the live salary cap
Old 26.07.2007, 09:51 AM
All Pro

As a Castleford fan - all i can say (through gritted teeth) is that Wigan had better bloody well vote for us to get one of the extra Super League franchises >
Old 26.07.2007, 12:33 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Adamjk link=board=23;threadid=27157;start=0#msg696932 date=1185408465]
The agreement by the 12 clubs to double this years points deductions was never finalised in writing from what I understand. It was more of a 'gentlemen's agreement', which is appaling on the RFL's part, and this fact was exploited by Wigan's lawyers meaning that they were able to allow last year's penalties to be administered instead.[/quote]

I am still not sure what reason they used to get it overturned, but the 2007 Operational Rules, which can be downloaded from the RFL site by anyone, includes the new salary cap penalties so they are there in writing. And they do state they apply to the audit of the 2006 salary cap submissions.

All I can think is that they made the case there were two lots of contradictory rules (the ones in the 2006 rule book and the 2007 version) so the one that was in effect at the time should be applied. It really is confusing though.

Michael.
Old 26.07.2007, 02:31 PM
Starter

As a Wigan fan im thrilled we have only been stripped off 4 points...

EASY
EASY
EASY
Old 28.07.2007, 12:05 AM
All Pro

[quote author=chrisbroxton link=board=23;threadid=27157;start=0#msg697303 date=1185460277]
As a Wigan fan im thrilled we have only been stripped off 4 points...

EASY
EASY
EASY
[/quote]

Wigan and the Cowboys? You must love being unpopular.

That and teams who living on former glories.

Michael.
Old 29.07.2007, 05:18 PM
All Pro

Fantastic result by the Catalans.

Now just have to see if I can get a ticket to the final.

Michael.