how did you become packers fans - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Green Bay Packers

Sponsored Links

Old 04.09.2012, 05:04 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibond View Post
I watched a bit of Superbowl's XL and XLI but really enjoyed watching the Giants and Patriots a year later. So I thought I would follow the NFL more closely and the first game I saw of the following season was week 1 Packers against Vikings, it was Aaron Rodgers first game as starter and the Pack won so I followed them ever since.
That is almost exactly the same as me, except the first game I watched after Superbowl extra large was Packers Bears and Brett Favre put forward a good enough sales pitch to make me choose the pack..
Sponsored Links
Old 09.09.2012, 02:39 PM
Rookie

I hope to boast the best story, my surname is Packer and my dad said there was an NFL team called the Packers. I had no idea what the NFL or the Packers were so checked it out, began following the results and eventually fell in love with the team and the sport.
Old 11.09.2012, 03:42 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer1495 View Post
I hope to boast the best story, my surname is Packer and my dad said there was an NFL team called the Packers. I had no idea what the NFL or the Packers were so checked it out, began following the results and eventually fell in love with the team and the sport.
OMG! Best surname ever!!!!!!!!!!!! Jealous... Good choice man, glad to have you as a fan. Imagine the stick you would get if you were a bears fan..
Old 11.09.2012, 05:41 PM
Rookie

I was flicking through the sports channels back in 2005 (So long ago now, I can't believe I've been watching the NFL for 7 years).

I saw american football was on, I'd never watched it before, started to watch, having absolutely no idea what was going on, and Green Bay were playing Cleveland at Lambeau. The atmosphere was amazing and I saw the Lambeau leap for the first time and loved it! I think it was Driver who did it. From then on, they became my team, even though I knew nowt about the sport

At that point I hadn't planned at all at becoming such a huge fan of the Packers and the NFL at all. I started to watch it more regularly, learning the rules etc. No other team I saw over the season seemed to have such amazing, passionate fans and that is what I like the most about the Packers. I just loved watching the game and now, it is probably my favourite sport.

I still can't believe how much I love the game and the Packers. I watch it every Sunday without fail, and me and a couple of mates can literally talk about it for hours. We always seem to end up talking about it in some way. I converted my housemates to NFL and Packer fans last year as well
Old 11.09.2012, 06:18 PM
Pro

1985, my older brother used to watch the highlights show and superbowl, I was 7 at the time started watching it with him and decided I liked the packers due to the colours, stuck with them ever since.
Old 13.09.2012, 02:53 PM
MVP

Favre.

First game I watched was the Superbowl after the '97 season. I have this aversion to supporting instant winners.

First basketball game I saw was the Spurs vs the Rockets on Channel 4. Rockets lost, so I supported the Rockets from then on. Turns out they were quite good. So it was with the Packers.

Then I got to know the history, the nature of the ownership, the size of the town... it's clear that in my extreme ignorance I picked the best team possible.

The first team I hated were the Cowgirls. So that worked out well too.

I also hate domes. Say what you will about the Bears but at least the loathsome bunch play outside.
Old 17.10.2012, 10:15 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 054123 View Post
I started watching NFL in the late 80's Mick Luckhurst days and didn't really follow a team. The Pack were wholly uninspiring at the time but i watched a report on Green Bay and the way the town and the fans kept it real. I just remember thinking this is what i want from my team, something more than just a logo or franchise. I got a book about the packers for my 11th Birthday, Mike Holmgren showed up, then we drafted some third rate QB from Southern Mississippi and the good times began to role!
ha ha who did we draft ? I thought we traded with the dirty birds ?
Old 18.10.2012, 07:10 PM
Starter

LOL! It's a long story but all I'll say is blame my brother!

Really pleased to read about your season ticket 12 times, cani ask your story?
Old 07.11.2012, 05:11 PM
Team Captain

Yeah

When I was 14 (25 years ago) I loved Rugby League

I read an article on how Coach Lombardi shared best practice with some rugby coaches over the pond in "open rugby" magazine. It told the story of the Packers, the town owned team, the old sardine tin stadium. It told an amazing tale of a tiny town battling against all the odds. The bears were ruling supreme at that time but I read further about Halas and Vince, about the roots and origins of the NFL in the midwest. I realised this was the team for me. My father wrote to the Packers and put my name on the waiting list. Just got one now ! Im also a shareholder and can offer help and advice to anyone wanting to go to LF or pretty much any stadium in the NFL. Dont know if I met any of you in the Green Man last week, I was the one with the Superbowl Ring ha ha
Old 07.11.2012, 07:47 PM
Team Captain

Wink

Same as earlier post. Watched the pack beat the skins 48 47 (I think) in c4 early days, Jan Stenerud kicked the winning field goal. Loved the fans and atmosphere so the pack were my team! Had the game on vhs for years but lost it at some stage.

Pleased they weren't showing a bears victory that week !!!!!!