NFL Redzone or Full Game? - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Sponsored Links

Old 13.09.2018, 10:27 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
That, in a nutshell, is the appeal of redzone, I think. A product for a society with increasingly short attention spans.

i think we read different sentences, cos to me it read that he would watch the back to back full games but for the ads.

so do you sit and pay attention to the ads too?
(or even worse, Neil )
Sponsored Links
Old 13.09.2018, 10:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
i think we read different sentences, cos to me it read that he would watch the back to back full games but for the ads.

so do you sit and pay attention to the ads too?
(or even worse, Neil )
You're both saying the same thing... you've got an issue with the breaks in football games. It's a sport with breaks in it. So that's quite a fundamental thing to have a major issue with. And we can tell it's the breaks, rather than the ads, because not every break on Sky TV is filled with ads, sometimes it's filled with analysis from Neil and co. And look what you think of that. You are free to like or not like what you wish, but you can see that if there is a fundamental issue with something integral to the game, then that has potentially huge ramifications for the game itself, doesn't it?

What do you do at an actual game? I'm not being facetious about it, this is a genuine concern for the NFL moving forward - it is already on their radar. They need TV viewing figures and they need full stadiums, if for nothing else than to make it look exciting on TV. Redzone is both an opportunity and a threat for them.

Since you ask, I actually quite enjoy watching the ads. On Gamepass, you get the American ads - I find them quite funny/fascinating. It's a part of the culture that kind of complements the game for me. It's instantly very different to watching British TV. I've not watched Sky for about 8 years so I don't have much to say about Neil, but I wouldn't find watching British ads so interesting. But then you can use the breaks to do other stuff. I don't think I could physically sit on the sofa for 7 hours without moving anyway, those 2-3 min breaks now and again are useful, safe in the knowledge you're not missing anything.
Old 13.09.2018, 10:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-minute drill View Post
bit of BS man.

you're forgetting that people who watch redzone may also watch every live SNF, MNF and thursday night games (me 98% of the time) and there's also the 5/6/7 college football games that i watch live every week, so that's hardly not being a football fan not getting the experience of the ebb and flow of the game.

that's true for every other aspect of my life except for sports

i can't even read a book these days. got so many to go through but i can only read a page or two here and a passage there.
You're not alone on the reading. I think it's increasingly getting like that now. I'll read on the tube as it's 20 minutes where I'm more or less on my own, not distracted by screens, phones, family and what have you. But that's it. Elsewhere, forget it. No chance. Constantly distracted.

You might watch SNF, MNF, TNF live and enjoy redzone. But you will be an exception. The viewing figures tell a different story. Which of course could well be for no other reason than those other games are overnight and people have to work. But there are a sizeable number of fans now who will only watch redzone live. I've not paid much attention lately but there's a Jets fan Jonno who used to post viewing figures on a page on these forums... I think redzone was eating into the live game viewing stats massively.
Old 13.09.2018, 11:34 PM
GOAT

Quote:
You're both saying the same thing... you've got an issue with the breaks in football games. It's a sport with breaks in it. So that's quite a fundamental thing to have a major issue with. And we can tell it's the breaks, rather than the ads, because not every break on Sky TV is filled with ads, sometimes it's filled with analysis from Neil and co. And look what you think of that. You are free to like or not like what you wish, but you can see that if there is a fundamental issue with something integral to the game, then that has potentially huge ramifications for the game itself, doesn't it?

What do you do at an actual game? I'm not being facetious about it, this is a genuine concern for the NFL moving forward - it is already on their radar. They need TV viewing figures and they need full stadiums, if for nothing else than to make it look exciting on TV. Redzone is both an opportunity and a threat for them.

Since you ask, I actually quite enjoy watching the ads. On Gamepass, you get the American ads - I find them quite funny/fascinating. It's a part of the culture that kind of complements the game for me. It's instantly very different to watching British TV. I've not watched Sky for about 8 years so I don't have much to say about Neil, but I wouldn't find watching British ads so interesting. But then you can use the breaks to do other stuff. I don't think I could physically sit on the sofa for 7 hours without moving anyway, those 2-3 min breaks now and again are useful, safe in the knowledge you're not missing anything.

theres a difference between real breaks and manufactured ones though. the gmg moment is the ref calling for a TV TO.

the natural breaks would be fine but they add on to it.

if the punditry was good then that part would be fine too.
at a game, i just wait for the action to restart, look around at what the players are doing, trying my best to ignore any other nonsense going on.

but your point was about a lack of attention span, someone stating that the ads are a bit much doesnt really play into that.

as i said above i think RZ is a bit different to the way you describe it and also keeping all those plates spinning takes quite a bit of attention and focus.
Old 14.09.2018, 11:18 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
theres a difference between real breaks and manufactured ones though. the gmg moment is the ref calling for a TV TO.

the natural breaks would be fine but they add on to it.

if the punditry was good then that part would be fine too.
at a game, i just wait for the action to restart, look around at what the players are doing, trying my best to ignore any other nonsense going on.

but your point was about a lack of attention span, someone stating that the ads are a bit much doesnt really play into that.

as i said above i think RZ is a bit different to the way you describe it and also keeping all those plates spinning takes quite a bit of attention and focus.
Agree with you there, they certainly do add onto it with the breaks. Well you see that plain as day when in the stadium and everyone is standing around waiting for the TV to get back on air.

But then if they wanted to speed the game up there are also other things they could do. For example, why do the clock rules change in the last 2 minutes of Q2 and last 5 minutes of Q4? Both of those slow the game. College football is even worse - often games run to 4 hours in college and a major reason is the clock stops on every first down. Of course, the ad breaks also make it longer than it could be.

Flicking between games isn't attention span. Attention span is sticking with the same thing. Flicking from channel to channel on TV for 2 hours does not require the same attention span as sitting down and watching a 2 hour film on one channel. A change is as good as a rest, as they say. And Redzone is constant change. I also mentioned the need for constant highlights. It's not unique to football. The rise of T20 is another classic example. Sixes galore, shorter, non-stop action compared to a test match, which is objectively still a much higher level of cricket than T20. Give me test cricket any day. I don't see the trend reversing though.
Old 14.09.2018, 01:47 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Agree with you there, they certainly do add onto it with the breaks. Well you see that plain as day when in the stadium and everyone is standing around waiting for the TV to get back on air.

But then if they wanted to speed the game up there are also other things they could do. For example, why do the clock rules change in the last 2 minutes of Q2 and last 5 minutes of Q4? Both of those slow the game. College football is even worse - often games run to 4 hours in college and a major reason is the clock stops on every first down. Of course, the ad breaks also make it longer than it could be.

Flicking between games isn't attention span. Attention span is sticking with the same thing. Flicking from channel to channel on TV for 2 hours does not require the same attention span as sitting down and watching a 2 hour film on one channel. A change is as good as a rest, as they say. And Redzone is constant change. I also mentioned the need for constant highlights. It's not unique to football. The rise of T20 is another classic example. Sixes galore, shorter, non-stop action compared to a test match, which is objectively still a much higher level of cricket than T20. Give me test cricket any day. I don't see the trend reversing though.

at least those breaks in play aid the game.

it kinda is when you compare it to a full game though, RZ pretty much requires constant focus, while a live game has breaks for the mind to wander or look at a phone etc.

if RZ was just highlight after highlight it would be a better point but it does follow drives.
Old 15.09.2018, 11:39 PM
Starter

Default Both!

I still watch full games and prefer then to red zone.

I like the strategy of the game still, I enjoy 3 and outs! I like low scoring games! Defensive battles can make the best games but would be mainly absent from RZ. Steelers/ravens games used to be the best.

For me, RZ comes into its own when your team isn’t playing and the game you’ve picked to watch is dreadful and you need a pick me up. RZ is very well done, and I watch it during HT of a fun game nearly every time.

I understand people preferring RZ, i just like my games old school! I don’t think one type of viewing is better than the other. I’m just happy you’re watching the game I love.
Old 17.09.2018, 11:10 AM
Pro Bowler

There is a bit of a 'chemistry' issue with Neil & Solomon & Rob in my opinion. It's just a boring package overall. Neil is like a guy chairing the weekly production meaning, and the 'experts' either don't see enough charm in him, or they see him as a kind of clueless charlatan in terms of core NFL expertise & experience. It was possibly better, when the 'experts' were not as expert, and maybe had a bit more fun about them. Bring back Cec & the turkey!
Old 17.09.2018, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Funny this is something we were talking about last night. It is simply dull and constrained. I don't think personally it fills you with much get and go for the games.

When you see the chemistry on the BBC catch up shows, although I do not think I could them for a whole nights game they do show some fun.

Mark
Old 18.09.2018, 01:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you prefer redzone to watching a full game you are not a proper fan of football. Football is not all about endless touchdowns and big plays, any more than a good film is about meshing together all the action scenes from multiple different movies. You come out of a redzone game and you've seen nothing really - it's the equivalent of one of those Chinese tourist trips where you rush around taking photos of all the big sites but spend no time actually properly taking in the place you are visiting. Box ticking exercise. Seen that touchdown, seen that interception. What about the ebb and flow of a game?

The only time when I will go for redzone is if no 9:25pm game in particular takes my fancy, and only then because there are so few games on at that time that you basically get to see the whole game of each anyway. But I would never watch the total carnage that is 6pm redzone unless the game I have chosen has finished and we happen to have 2-3 games in the final 2 mins and down to the wire. If the Steelers are not on I will pick another game and watch in full.
Ebb and flow and real fan (or not a proper fan, same thing really) are the Gamepass equivalent of Godwin’s Law triggers.

Congratulations on achieving this inside Page 1.