New York Jets Thread - Page 52 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 16.08.2005, 11:42 PM
DarthJet

Default Re:New York Jets Thread

[quote author=ukjetsfan link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=495#msg272040 date=1124217903]
[quote author=Woolley_Man link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=495#msg272025 date=1124213610]
On the plus side,he can't get hurt if he's not at camp[/quote]

How true - he sprained his knee in one training camp, I seem to remember.

I would love Abe to become a consistent player, getting 15-20 sacks every year for the Jets. I wonder if he ever will...
[/quote]

Maybe he`s still carrying the injury from last year and the Jets are holding off because of that, they`ll sign him for 1 year just before the opener, he`ll have had maximum recovery time and if he makes it through 16 games plus and still plays like the pro bowler he can then I dont think anyone can deny him a long term contract for what he`s worth 8)
Old 17.08.2005, 07:05 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Alster link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=495#msg272106 date=1124225500]
[quote author=ukjetsfan link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=495#msg272040 date=1124217903]
I would love Abe to become a consistent player, getting 15-20 sacks every year for the Jets. I wonder if he ever will...
[/quote]

thats slightly hopeful
[/quote]

That's an old journalist's trick Alster! Emphasise one extreme of a statement to make it look unrealistic.

There is no doubt Abe has the ability to get 15-20 sacks each season, but injuries are obviously the key.
Old 17.08.2005, 12:07 PM
DarthJet

Is anyone else concerned about Dewayne Robertson knee injury? they reckon he`s gonna be playing through pain for the rest of his career, which worries me slightly.
are we gonna see the guy Warren Sapp once called "A bowling ball with a butchers knife" or a guy slowing down and struggling?
Old 17.08.2005, 06:43 PM
All Pro

[quote author=DarthJet link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=510#msg272350 date=1124280443]
Is anyone else concerned about Dewayne Robertson knee injury? they reckon he`s gonna be playing through pain for the rest of his career, which worries me slightly.
are we gonna see the guy Warren Sapp once called "A bowling ball with a butchers knife" or a guy slowing down and struggling?

[/quote]

As far as football goes I think he will be able to play at his full potential, but I would expect this injury to take two or three years off the end of his career.

From a personal standpoint - and I know I'm not going to be popular for saying this - I think he should retire now. He needs to lose 40-50 pounds and keep his knee out of harm's way. If he plays for eight or nine years he will end up like Joe Namath, on a plastic knee.

I know he's young and probably thinks it's worth it to win a Super Bowl or two, but check in on him in 20 years and see what he says.

Sorry to be a bit downbeat. I hate injuries and think the next Collective Bargaining Agreement should ban them.
Old 17.08.2005, 08:58 PM
Starter

Send a message via AIM to Craig#10

Don't get me wrong im not knocking D-Rob i think he has great potential (just we are yet to see it!) but if all goes wrong (touch wood) we have 2 young guys who i have been watching and are VERY impressive Pouha and McGill - - but still don't wanna see D-Rob out bcoz of an injury but i would be more concerned elsewhere in terms of people going down with injury. Although if this knee problem did effect his game i think with Pouha and McGill in there at DT i think it is vital we have BOTH Abe and Ellis at DE bcoz that will take some pressure of the 2 guys in the middle!!

Sorry if this sounds like complete b******s just my view on it, don't hesitate to debate it i will not be offended if anyone feels im wrong lol. (unless you are fish or pats fans in which case you shouldn't be in here - - ESPECIALLY if you got nothing productive to say )

On another note i heard Penny is gonna be starting vs the Vikes and i was so glad that NASN are showing a Jets game even if it is just pre-season.!
Old 17.08.2005, 10:50 PM
DarthJet

be nice if they could have shown the giants game aswell
Old 18.08.2005, 08:01 AM
Team Captain

No question, the Herman Edwards-Terry Bradway regime has been a success, but they're still winning with players from the Bill Parcells era. Since arriving in 2001, Bradway has yet to draft or sign a player who has gone on to make the Pro Bowl.

Just reading our seaon preview on NFL.com and I didn't actually know this...My prediction is Vilma to be first Bradway draftee in the Pro Bowl. Anyone else got another player they think will do it first??
Old 18.08.2005, 09:24 AM
All Pro

[quote author=nyjets91kw link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=510#msg272870 date=1124352088]
No question, the Herman Edwards-Terry Bradway regime has been a success, but they're still winning with players from the Bill Parcells era. [/quote]

That's not surprising. 2000 was still the Bill Parcells era (he was GM) and it would be shocking if the corps of the team was not still from that period, considering it was a good, young team. Bradway and Edwards have done an excellent job of side-stepping the salary cap hell that Parcells' duff leadership should have landed the team in. They bit the bullet to let Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman go, letting Ryan Young leave in the same deal. They rode out the Mo Lewis contract (a ridiculous contract offered by Parcells) and have brought in good, young players.

Revamping the roster while remaining competitive has been a brilliant achievement.

Bradway's 2001 draft was superb - but players had to be let go to avoid more salary cap trouble.

While the offense still revolves around Pennington, Coles, Martin and Mawae - all Parcells people, there has been a good injection of talent from Bradway in the form of McCareins, Jolley, Kendall and others.

And the defense is becoming a Bradway/Edwards defense - led by Robertson, Vilma, Barton, Barrett and now Law, with Coleman and many othger young safeties looking like inspired draft picks. Ellis and Abraham are the only remaining front-rank players from the Parcells era.

Bradway and Edwards have done a phenomenal job and this team will compete for the Super Bowl this year.
Old 18.08.2005, 09:33 AM
Team Captain

[quote author=ukjetsfan link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=510#msg272922 date=1124357059]
[quote author=nyjets91kw link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=510#msg272870 date=1124352088]
No question, the Herman Edwards-Terry Bradway regime has been a success, but they're still winning with players from the Bill Parcells era. [/quote]

Bradway and Edwards have done a phenomenal job and this team will compete for the Super Bowl this year.
[/quote]

Totally agree. I remember how gutted I was when we let Aaron Glenn go in the expansion draft but like you said it releived us of the problems we would be in now with the salary cap...
Old 18.08.2005, 02:50 PM
All Pro

I've got hold of a copy of the Jets-Lions game and have watched the first couple of drives.

Here are some of my impressions:

Fiedler looked okay. I would not be overly distressed if he had to start a couple of games this season.

Blaylock is very nippy indeed. Not just fast, but a jitterbug of a runner who spins and bounces away from contact. He looks like a great pickup and a very nice contrast to Martin.

Martin still has explosion in his legs. He looked fiery and fit and also made progress after contact a couple of times.

Adrian Jones did a decent job in his first competitive outing at RT. He made a nice block on Martin's 11-yard run.

Bryan Thomas' sack was classy. He made a shallow rush, gathered himself and then went again, beating his man to the outside with speed.

Miller made a nice KO return, looking on the verge of breaking it for a really big gain.

Overall - the offense looked smooth and the 98-yard drive was a thing of beauty. Great mix of run and pass and nearly always gaining ground.

The defense looked a bit loose. Pass coverage was off and the Lions receivers looked very dangerous. Pass pressure was sporadic - this was without Robertson and Abraham remember. There was one play where Ellis and Vilma converged on Harrington to take him down on a scramble. They looked very fast and reminded me of the Cowboys defense of the mid-nineties - speedy and swarming.

Overall, an impressive quarter or so of action. The offense was probably a bit more polished than I expected at this stage, the defense has more work to do - but a lot of that comes down to getting starters inserted into the lineup.

BTW - Pontel is advertising the Jets-Vikings preseason game for sale at about £10. I would probably prefer to pay for a month of NASN, but it's an option for those without satellite who are desperate to see some Jets action!