New York Jets Thread - Page 53 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New York Jets

Old 18.08.2005, 03:55 PM
MVP

Default Re:New York Jets Thread

[quote author=ukjetsfan link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=510#msg273139 date=1124376614]
I've got hold of a copy of the Jets-Lions game and have watched the first couple of drives.

Here are some of my impressions:

Fiedler looked okay. I would not be overly distressed if he had to start a couple of games this season.

Blaylock is very nippy indeed. Not just fast, but a jitterbug of a runner who spins and bounces away from contact. He looks like a great pickup and a very nice contrast to Martin.

Martin still has explosion in his legs. He looked fiery and fit and also made progress after contact a couple of times.

Adrian Jones did a decent job in his first competitive outing at RT. He made a nice block on Martin's 11-yard run.

Bryan Thomas' sack was classy. He made a shallow rush, gathered himself and then went again, beating his man to the outside with speed.

Miller made a nice KO return, looking on the verge of breaking it for a really big gain.

Overall - the offense looked smooth and the 98-yard drive was a thing of beauty. Great mix of run and pass and nearly always gaining ground.

The defense looked a bit loose. Pass coverage was off and the Lions receivers looked very dangerous. Pass pressure was sporadic - this was without Robertson and Abraham remember. There was one play where Ellis and Vilma converged on Harrington to take him down on a scramble. They looked very fast and reminded me of the Cowboys defense of the mid-nineties - speedy and swarming.

Overall, an impressive quarter or so of action. The offense was probably a bit more polished than I expected at this stage, the defense has more work to do - but a lot of that comes down to getting starters inserted into the lineup.

BTW - Pontel is advertising the Jets-Vikings preseason game for sale at about £10. I would probably prefer to pay for a month of NASN, but it's an option for those without satellite who are desperate to see some Jets action!
[/quote]

Thanks for the round up,it does seem our starting 22 did a nice job even with some of our playmakers were missing.It will be interesting to see how Chad does against the vikings tomorrow.
Old 18.08.2005, 04:25 PM
MVP

There are some really great articles in the NY papers today,ranging from tragic stories to player profiles.Be sure to check them out

There is however one article not on that page,it seems the Jets are interested in building a stadium in Queens on what was the site of the Worlds Fair in 1964.A joint stadium with the Giants still seems to be plan A.

Quote:
JETS EYE LANDING AT '64 WORLD'S FAIR SITE

By JEREMY OLSHAN

August 18, 2005 -- In a desperate play to escape lifetime exile in New Jersey, the Jets are huddling with the city to hammer out plans to build a new stadium over the remains of a massive fountain from the 1964 World's Fair.
The six-acre Fountain of the Planets, which once exploded in glorious pyrotechnic displays, is now a murky pool littered with plastic bottles and trash.

With the West Side stadium plan dead, and a deal for a shared stadium with the Giants at New Jersey's Meadowlands weeks away, team sources say the fountain site probably is the last, best hope to put the New York back in New York Jets.

Team president Jay Cross accepted an invitation to meet with Queens Borough President Helen Marshall next week to discuss the plan.

As talk of staying in New Jersey intensifies, fans have besieged team officials with e-mails, pleading with them to find another way.

"It's conceivable a plan could be worked out in time," said Matthew Higgins, team vice president. "But it's going to require a great deal of urgency."

Located on the eastern end of Flushing Meadows, right off the Van Wyck Expressway, the proposed open-air stadium would be within field goal range of the Unisphere, Shea Stadium and the National Tennis Center.

The walk to parking lots and mass transit would be substantially longer than from Shea, and the Jets would once again be in the flight path of La Guardia's planes.

Marshall said she's willing to give the team the parkland, as long as the Jets agree to replace the lost acreage, which would likely include several new soccer fields as well as the fountain.

"She'd also expect new amenities to be added to the park, and others to be improved," spokesman Dan Andrews said.

Willets Point, the 47 acres of salvage yards near Shea — where many expected the Jets to look — is not workable, teams sources say, because the city would not have enough time to relocate the 150 business there and complete the necessary environmental work.

But some Queens activists, even longtime proponents of bringing the Jets home, disagree.

Although he railed against the West Side stadium in favor of Willets Point, David Oats, chairman of the Queens Olympic Committee, said the Jets new plan is equally unworkable.

"We're immensely outraged that the plan to return the Jets does not include a renewal of Willets Point and instead calls for destroying an historic and beautiful area," Oats said.
Jets Insinder have a picture of the initial plan(At least i think its of the official plan,my geography of the Queens area is poor).
Old 18.08.2005, 06:33 PM
Starter

Send a message via AIM to Craig#10

Please guys lets not start talking about a new stadium anywhere in New York for now lol
Old 19.08.2005, 06:16 AM
All Pro

I'm hearing rumours that John Abraham has met with his agents and is currently in New York.

That is all I've heard/read, but it might indicate that a meeting with team officials is planned - and that could mean an end to this holdout!
Old 19.08.2005, 10:45 AM
Starter

Send a message via AIM to Craig#10

Lets hope so!
Old 20.08.2005, 12:57 AM
DarthJet

YES!! 2nd qtr and Chad just launched one downfield and the camera showed him as he let go and there was NO look of discomfort as he threw, I think he`s gonna be just fine this year 8)
another one of about 20yrds or so to Coles looked pretty crisp too:-)
Old 20.08.2005, 06:23 AM
All Pro

Looking forward to some feedback on this game from people who saw it - from the reports it sounds like a few good things happened - Chad's TD to Coles, Chrebet's TD catch, Pouha's forced fumble and a **** on a Graham punt!

Sounds like the secondary is still a work in progress, though...
Old 20.08.2005, 08:40 AM
All Pro

[quote author=ukjetsfan link=board=1;threadid=8297;start=525#msg273947 date=1124519039]
Looking forward to some feedback on this game from people who saw it - from the reports it sounds like a few good things happened - Chad's TD to Coles, Chrebet's TD catch, Pouha's forced fumble and a **** on a Graham punt!

Sounds like the secondary is still a work in progress, though...
[/quote]
Hello Jets fans,

just a quick note, my father lives in Geelong and watches the cats regularly, he says Grahams kicking is long high and accurate, he says he could be a great NFL punter, so good reports !!!!
Old 20.08.2005, 09:50 AM
MVP

From looking at the stats,It was great to see Pennington look sharp,a few more deep passes would of been nice but i'm not going to complain.

Coles looked good as well,I was worried that with Pennington missing a lot of training camp,it would be a while before they regained chemistry.Last night eased my worries.
Old 20.08.2005, 12:27 PM
All Pro

Good game..
The better team lost

Seriously that punter is going to be dangerous this year, he is going to cause turnovers.
Jets had a lot of help from 17 Minnesota penalties but I'd say they'd be pretty please with the way the Offense passed the ball.
Our Offense could move the ball at will though even without a running game, but get Ty Law in there and could be a slightly different story.