Any Good Books? - Page 9 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 31.07.2014, 07:32 PM
Starter

Finished 'The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football' a week or so ago. Very good read and well written.

Some great uplifting stories in it but also some terrible and eye opening ones. I recommend it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-System-S.../dp/0385536615
Old 01.08.2014, 01:12 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyw5 View Post
Finished 'The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football' a week or so ago. Very good read and well written.

Some great uplifting stories in it but also some terrible and eye opening ones. I recommend it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-System-S.../dp/0385536615
I read this earlier in the year. It has plenty of interesting tip bits about the game that we simply don't get from our different culture. However, I would say that a basic knowledge of football terms is quite important at times as it does use rather exacting language at times.
Old 04.08.2014, 02:31 PM
Pro

If anyone wants a really good book to find out more about what it's like to be involved in the NFL as a coach, player or ortherwise I can highly reccommend Collision Low Crossers - it focuses on the Jets but is a great read even you're not a Jets fan like me.
Old 08.08.2014, 01:30 PM
Pro Bowler

have just finished reading Keep Your Eye Off The ball was a good read.

Read Tailgate To Heaven last year which was great.

Have just ordered When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi and Friday Night Lights from amazon looking forward to reading them - just need to decide which to read first
Old 08.08.2014, 07:52 PM
Team Captain

Both great but I prefer Friday Night Lights
Old 08.08.2014, 08:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcheddar88 View Post

Have just ordered When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi and Friday Night Lights from amazon looking forward to reading them - just need to decide which to read first
I just listened to the Lombardi book as an audiobook and it was good- some interesting insights into Lombardi's character and Lombardi the man.
Old 08.08.2014, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcheddar88 View Post

Tailgate to heaven was meh.

In fact It was boring, and not well written at all.

I've always hesitated to say so because the author is kind of hero-worshiped among the uk nfl community, but IMO, the book isn't worth a second glance.

Last edited by HSTDriver; 08.08.2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08.08.2014, 11:36 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Tailgate to heaven was meh.

In fact It was boring, and not well written at all.

I've always hesitated to say so because the author is kind of hero-worshiped among the uk nfl community, but IMO, the book isn't worth a second glance.
I've not got round to reading it yet so it's good to hear from somebody who isn't saying it's completely amazing and the best book ever.

I read Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer, which I believe is kind of the same type of thing but the guy follows Alabama's college team for a season. It's a decent book and I reccomend it but it's not the best football book I've ever read
Old 10.08.2014, 06:49 PM
Pro

I've read a good few over recent years, here's my opinion on a few:

Badasses -Oakland Raiders of the 1970s: excellent read.

Paul Brown -The rise and fall and rise again of football's most innovative coach: great, unbiased author, lots of stories I'd not heard of before.

Going Long -The story the of the AFL: fantastic read, great insight and stories.

What a game they played: great short bios of players pre-WW2.

Lambeau -The man behind the mystique: interesting insight to determined individual.

1977 -Denver, the Broncos and a coming of age: puts you into Denver during the 1977 season, great read.

Johnny U: Fantastic bio.

Browns Town 1964: Great info on the last championship team.

1960 Philadelphia Eagles -The team that they said had nothing but a championship: Good read, goes through the season well.

When the Lions roared -1957 Detroit Lions: Awful, no insight, interviewed only 1 player, could have done better myself!

A Cowboy's life -Bob Lilly: Disappointing.

Vagabond Halfback -The life and times of Johnny Blood McNally: indepth, some great stories, good read.

When Football was football -The Chicago Cardinals and the birth of the NFL: Indepth, lots of great stories and insight.

Red Grange and the rise of modern football: Super read, good bio.

Heart of a Lion -The wild and woolly life of Bobby Layne: fantastic read, some great stories.

Breakthrough Boys -1971 Dallas Cowboys: great read to a controversial season.

Halas auto: fantastic insight to the early days of pro football.

1963 -Story of the world champion Chicago Bears: Good insight and goes through season well.

Monster of the Midway -Bronko Nagurski and the 1943 Chicago Bears: super read, looking at football in the 1920s-1940s.

Next up:
Tom Landry auto
Kardiac Kids (1980 Cleveland Browns)
Their life's work (Pitt dynasty)
The last headbangers (1970s)
The Super 70s
Old 13.08.2014, 08:29 PM
Rookie

"Keep your eye off the ball" is a good easy read. It explains the game in more detail without being to heavy. Also read Nate Jacksons "Slow getting up" which is an autobiography of his NFL career it's okay but not brilliant.