Politics - Page 1660 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 26.06.2019, 12:15 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Starting to think that time could be Boris's enemy here. I think if the members vote was immediately after the final 2 were confirmed he would have been fine, but with several weeks to go he seems to be wobbling. Sort of reminds me of when a team goes 1-0 up too early and they try to sit on the lead, which is the tactic Boris tried to adopt with keeping quiet and not really speaking to people.

Have to say I agree with the journalist who was his old boss who said he is thoroughly unfit to be PM. The man has no integrity whatsoever and he just plays to the gallery. Which in the current political climate is very dangerous indeed. He's gone from tax cuts to the rich to saying he'll be helping the poor first within the space of a week. He'll literally say anything, won't he? And I think someone who will say or do anything to ensure he preserves his own position is a dangerous thing for a leader. There was a good piece on the radio once about Boris's book on Churchill, and how Boris seemed to think Churchill chose to take on the ****s because he thought that's what would play best. That tells you how Boris thinks. 'what will make me look best, what do I stand to gain from?'. Luckily for us, Churchill was not like that, he did what was right, not what he thought would play well.

I think the most disappointing thing of all is how many Tory MPs can't see that, or can see it and don't care. You expect it of lunatics like Leadsom and the miniature human balloon, but I for one do not think that half of the Tory parliamentary party are idiots. Which means some of them should be taking a look at themselves.

And I still haven't had any answers about what conservative values Boris embodies. And since I asked that question, he's only gotten worse with his Camberwell domestic row. That picture released in all the papers... I bet that turns out to be an old photo too. Even Ferrari tried to call him out on that. All very cringe.

maybe but Hunt isnt fit either, both fellas will do similar damage in different ways.

i agree i dont think half of the MPs are idiots, its more than that

the domestic sums up so much, that the main focus came down on why it was reported and having ago at that person, rather than the incident.
Old 26.06.2019, 01:00 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
and today Boris was on not one but two radio stations doing pretty long interviews so guess that's him dodging the media again.
And how did it work out do you think Lee?

Quote:
so guessing there's no problem with Sir Ed Davey talking about an alliance to "decapitate the blond head in uxbridge" in a snap GE.
No. It was a very poor choice of words, potentially inflammatory and a stupid thing to say, something I think he's already owned up to?

What's interesting to me is how you presume that people would defend him because he's on 'our side'? Now, I'm not going to pretend there aren't people like that because there are. I do think there are less of them on what you might call 'my side' than there are on yours though and I also think that, generally speaking, if someone says something that's wrong or stupid and they own up to it and either set the record straight or apologise straight away then we have to take the situation at face value?

“I recognise this wasn’t an acceptable choice of phrase and I’m sorry. This was careless use of language, meant in electoral sense and in no way literally. While we should be robust in our opposition, we do have to carefully consider impact of our words and I failed to do that.”

You can't really get more unequivocal than that, can you? Not even the politicians favorite caveat: "if I caused offense".

Meanwhile we have Bus Painting Bojo still trying to say that the increase in Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffes prison sentence is Irans fault and in no way relates to his comments in a Parliamentary Select Committee interview?

Last edited by LesterHayes; 26.06.2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 26.06.2019, 06:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
picking carefully though, isn't he? Nick Ferrari on LBC, the guy who gives JRM a platform almost every week. Didn't Boris want to hang around until a bit later to speak to James O'Brien? Or the Scottish chap who ran rings around Liz Truss, Boris Backer in chief, a few months ago?
oh look Boris and Jeremy on a digital hustings on facebook but also streamed on Sky.

also who is "JRM"??dont listen much to LBC.
Old 26.06.2019, 06:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
the domestic sums up so much, that the main focus came down on why it was reported and having ago at that person, rather than the incident.
yeah and now they cant even got out and enjoy some time outside together without the paparazzi hounding them for photo's.
Old 26.06.2019, 06:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
And how did it work out do you think Lee?

No. It was a very poor choice of words, potentially inflammatory and a stupid thing to say, something I think he's already owned up to?

What's interesting to me is how you presume that people would defend him because he's on 'our side'? Now, I'm not going to pretend there aren't people like that because there are. I do think there are less of them on what you might call 'my side' than there are on yours though and I also think that, generally speaking, if someone says something that's wrong or stupid and they own up to it and either set the record straight or apologise straight away then we have to take the situation at face value?

“I recognise this wasn’t an acceptable choice of phrase and I’m sorry. This was careless use of language, meant in electoral sense and in no way literally. While we should be robust in our opposition, we do have to carefully consider impact of our words and I failed to do that.”

You can't really get more unequivocal than that, can you? Not even the politicians favorite caveat: "if I caused offense".

Meanwhile we have Bus Painting Bojo still trying to say that the increase in Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffes prison sentence is Irans fault and in no way relates to his comments in a Parliamentary Select Committee interview?
yeah the people who put this campaign poster together never thought for a second that using that language was un-acceptable in this day and age until it was released.

also a bit confused on the whole Iran issue,surely Corbyn can just reach out to "his friends" who have very strong links to Iran rather than just doing social media moments outside to FO and wearing a badge at PMQ's.
Old 27.06.2019, 09:00 AM
All Pro

Hey Lee. The point of a conversation (even one like this) is that we exchange views and answer each others questions. How about you do that? I said that Boris is ducking media interviews because they make him look like a twit whose ideas and plans do not stand up to even moderate scrutiny. You responded by pointing out he did 2 interviews yesterday. I asked how you thought they went? Well, how do you think they went?

Anyway...

Quote:
yeah the people who put this campaign poster together never thought for a second that using that language was un-acceptable in this day and age until it was released.
Eh? Wasn't it an article in a newspaper? We're talking about Ed Davey right? He wrote in The Times didn't he? Campaign poster?

Anyway, subject dealt with. He apologised. No caveat, no weasily language. I think he may have blown his chance to become leader of the Lib Dems which I think is fair enough because it was stupid. Not much else to say really except that Boris famously called muslim women "letterboxes" and "bankrobbers" in an article he wrote for a newspaper and hasn't, as yet, apologised. For anything. Anything to say about that point?

Quote:
also a bit confused on the whole Iran issue,surely Corbyn can just reach out to "his friends" who have very strong links to Iran rather than just doing social media moments outside to FO and wearing a badge at PMQ's.
Nothing to be confused about mate. That poor women is on hunger strike in an Iranian prison, where she expects to be for some time, partly because she was daft enough to want to go to Iran in the first place and partly because our Foreign Secretary at the time made some ill judged off the cuff quip that ended up further heating the hot water she was already in. How about you address that point before going off at a tangent about some trotskyite fool with no power to do anything whatsoever?

Over to you.

Last edited by LesterHayes; 27.06.2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 29.06.2019, 04:58 PM
Hall of Fame

so the internal polling has Boris ahead of Hunt by 67% to 33% so its looking like we will get a PM Boris and then the fun and games begin with rumours of around 20 conservative MP's(think only 2 have been publically named) talking about doing anything to avoid the no deal even delaying other bills if they dont think they can get some kind of parliament veto.

if Boris does get the 2/3rd backing of the members to go with over half the MP's in there vote does that give him enough clout to whip the party to get Brexit done and then try to move on with some new policies.

Think Boris will be very colour full and sure parts of the media will be waiting(hoping) for the gaffs but the latest polling does see the Brexit party losing some support to the conservatives so with Labour at war maybe we may get a post-october and hopefully Brexit GE then everyone should be more than happy.
Old 29.06.2019, 10:58 PM
GOAT

Quote:
so the internal polling has Boris ahead of Hunt by 67% to 33% so its looking like we will get a PM Boris and then the fun and games begin with rumours of around 20 conservative MP's(think only 2 have been publically named) talking about doing anything to avoid the no deal even delaying other bills if they dont think they can get some kind of parliament veto.

if Boris does get the 2/3rd backing of the members to go with over half the MP's in there vote does that give him enough clout to whip the party to get Brexit done and then try to move on with some new policies.

Think Boris will be very colour full and sure parts of the media will be waiting(hoping) for the gaffs but the latest polling does see the Brexit party losing some support to the conservatives so with Labour at war maybe we may get a post-october and hopefully Brexit GE then everyone should be more than happy

and by happy you mean people jumping off of tall buildings?

in an ideal world those Tories actually have a backbone and stop no deal, force a 2nd referendum (remain and any clear brexit option) and then a GE.

then everyone will be happy or at least need to shut up as it will be over.

as the will of the people will of been fully heard
Old 30.06.2019, 03:14 PM
GOAT

dont worry Nigel its on its way

Old 30.06.2019, 06:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
and by happy you mean people jumping off of tall buildings?

in an ideal world those Tories actually have a backbone and stop no deal, force a 2nd referendum (remain and any clear brexit option) and then a GE.

then everyone will be happy or at least need to shut up as it will be over.

as the will of the people will of been fully heard
even Hunt now seems 100% committed to getting Brexit delivered somehow by end of October and then we can move on with actually mapping out the UK future.almost mind blowing to think this deal is just suppose to be the "short-term" agreement that should be replaced in the coming years.

as great as a GE would be it would be madness for the 2 main parties so would be entertaining to see what kind of coalition of chaos we might be left with but think you can have a say again in 2022'ish.