Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 185 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 23.06.2008, 11:17 AM
Starter

Default Re:Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread

That's not strictly true. As I said here: http://www.wide-right.com/2008/06/happy-bear.html

I think he was pretty effective last year even playing hurt. The problem is how that takes it's toll on him in the future. He could be burnt out by the time he's 29 and hitting Free Agency.

The problem is he's relatively undersized as a DT, and what would really help Harris to stay healthy would be help alongside him on the line.
Old 23.06.2008, 11:26 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Lowrie,Shaun link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1830#msg910962 date=1214219836]
That's not strictly true. As I said here: http://www.wide-right.com/2008/06/happy-bear.html

I think he was pretty effective last year even playing hurt. The problem is how that takes it's toll on him in the future. He could be burnt out by the time he's 29 and hitting Free Agency.

The problem is he's relatively undersized as a DT, and what would really help Harris to stay healthy would be help alongside him on the line.
[/quote]

Pretty effective isn't outstanding though. Fit, he is an excellent player, but he never is fit.

If the middle of our defense isn't rock solid we get burned against the run.
Old 23.06.2008, 11:33 AM
Starter

Yes, I agree, which is why it's important to have DT depth to help Harris in the trenches.

Even when he is healthy, he's not really a run stuffer. Apart from anything, the current revolving door at the other DT spot allows him to be double teamed almost every play.
Old 23.06.2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

[quote author=Lowrie,Shaun link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1830#msg910962 date=1214219836]

[/quote]

I must disagree here. Harris was very poor last season against the run. he was effective as a pass rusher but we would need him to play much better against the run especially given the huge contract he just received. Don't get me wrong i'm a huge an of tommie Harris and I am very happy he is signed and I am sure injuries affected his play last year, nevertheless he was below average against the run and he must get back to his best next year if we are to have success. While I see where your coming from when you say he is not a run stuffer and it is true that is not his strength but all DTs need to be good against the run or they should play end. Harris has shown he can be good in that area before but it wasn't last season. He would obviously benifit by a big guy like Tank Johnson was next to him but for $40m you need to be near the top of the pile in both areas.
Old 24.06.2008, 08:27 AM
All Pro

Tribune:

AUSTIN, Texas - Former Bears running back Cedric Benson was ordered Monday to install an ignition-lock breath tester in his car after he was charged with drunken driving.

Benson was charged in separate incidents of boating and driving while intoxicated. Travis County Court-at-Law Judge Elisabeth Earle ordered him to install the device within 72 hours as a condition of his bail at a pretrial hearing.

The device prevents the car from starting if it detects alcohol.

Earle said the ignition lock requirement is common for defendants facing multiple DWI charges and does not indicate whether Benson is guilty or innocent.

Benson's attorney did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

On May 3, the former Texas star was charged with boating while intoxicated on Lake Travis and resisting arrest. A few weeks later, he was charged with driving while intoxicated when he was pulled over in downtown Austin.

The Bears cut Benson after the second arrest. Chicago drafted him in the first round in 2005.
Old 24.06.2008, 08:40 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Dux link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1830#msg911282 date=1214296060]
Tribune:

AUSTIN, Texas - Former Bears running back Cedric Benson was ordered Monday to install an ignition-lock breath tester in his car after he was charged with drunken driving.

Benson was charged in separate incidents of boating and driving while intoxicated. Travis County Court-at-Law Judge Elisabeth Earle ordered him to install the device within 72 hours as a condition of his bail at a pretrial hearing.

The device prevents the car from starting if it detects alcohol.

Earle said the ignition lock requirement is common for defendants facing multiple DWI charges and does not indicate whether Benson is guilty or innocent.

Benson's attorney did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

On May 3, the former Texas star was charged with boating while intoxicated on Lake Travis and resisting arrest. A few weeks later, he was charged with driving while intoxicated when he was pulled over in downtown Austin.

The Bears cut Benson after the second arrest. Chicago drafted him in the first round in 2005.
[/quote]

I'm not sure whether to laugh or sigh.
Old 24.06.2008, 09:13 PM
Team Captain

[quote author=olig23 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1830#msg910998 date=1214223938]

[/quote]

I must disagree here. Harris was very poor last season against the run. he was effective as a pass rusher but we would need him to play much better against the run especially given the huge contract he just received. Don't get me wrong i'm a huge an of tommie Harris and I am very happy he is signed and I am sure injuries affected his play last year, nevertheless he was below average against the run and he must get back to his best next year if we are to have success. While I see where your coming from when you say he is not a run stuffer and it is true that is not his strength but all DTs need to be good against the run or they should play end. Harris has shown he can be good in that area before but it wasn't last season. He would obviously benifit by a big guy like Tank Johnson was next to him but for $40m you need to be near the top of the pile in both areas.
[/quote]

Harris does need to be more consistent his play last year was affected by injuries and juggling d-lineup alongside him. Bottom line he is a Pro Bowl DT and now needs to prove that this season and beyond. The Bears addresses the dline through the draft with Marcus Harrison who will also give us penetration to shore up the run game.The D overall will improve with more consistent line play. I think Harris is symptomatic of a few players who didn't play to potential last season. I think with these players stepping back up this season we will be better for it.
Old 28.06.2008, 01:44 PM
Pro

IMO last year we seemed to lack team ethic

the O line gave no protection to rex and Co
the D looked lost most of the time, with brian not being at his best.
the only saving grace was special teams in general and Mr Hester in particular (discuss?)
Old 28.06.2008, 04:34 PM
All Pro

I think we'll see an improvement in most areas this year.
Injuries hampered the Defence, and the Offence can't possibly be as bad again.
Old 29.06.2008, 09:32 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Dux link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1845#msg912973 date=1214670884]
the Offence can't possibly be as bad again.
[/quote]

Unless we have unearthed a rookie hidden gem WR we have been weakened severely. I don't think the team know exactly what we have right now.