Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 253 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 19.02.2009, 05:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Really? With 3.4 yards per carry in 2007 I was not impressed. Granted the blocking was no good but still I never saw anything that made me think he is better than third string. He is decent pass catcher mind you.I assume if Peterson was good enough we would not have signed Jones.

I wouldn't essentially be looking for a backup myself. I want someone who can be used alongside forte to extend his shelf-life and protect our biggest asset since many featured backs crumble after carrying the load for three years or so. I know it is no guarantee since all it takes is one hit but given that Forte will be taking hits in the passing game as well I would like to see us have options to take the load off him. It has worked well for many teams in the NFL.
I honestly do believe that Adrian Peterson and Garrett Wolfe give us enough as it stands, Adrian's a (excuse the over-used term) 'football player' and can block/catch the ball very well like you said and Wolfe's the 'change of pace back'.

I'd just love to see what we've got given a shot rather than another knee-jerk reaction from our front office.
Old 20.02.2009, 03:00 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
True...

but we do need a backup QB, so who would you like to see backup Orton?
Honestly with whats out there a draftee LOL, Leftwich, & I'm intrigued by Boller but no-one gives me much confidence
Old 20.02.2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
Honestly with whats out there a draftee LOL, Leftwich, & I'm intrigued by Boller but no-one gives me much confidence
If Boller was cheap I don't think he'd be a bad shout. I have always thought the potential was there with him. When he came into the league I really thought he'd be a good player he seemed to have all the right qualities but he just seemed to fold under pressure. You never know with guys like that they might benefit form a change of scenery.

The only thing I have against drafting a Qb is that mid-rounders are often a distance from being NFL ready, damn even first rounders often need a few seasons. I hope Hanie has some potential but it is impossible to know unless he actually gets to play.
Old 21.02.2009, 08:58 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to Claire Da Bear

The bears as a team have never had a super star QB the weather and the way we just dont need a show boater we need a steady work horse and to be honest i feeling orton. our D needs a tune up as its starting to spring leeks and the bears would be nothing if our D is not up to much.

As the back up the matt forte i would sell all my interal organ to get peterson to play for us with 2 threats like that just waiting to get the ball it would cores big big head aches for many teams. But since we finished mid packi for the draft as we do every year since i can remember we need some luck and lovie and this boys to do there home work and scout out some under the raider picks and with a light sprinking of vaule for money free agents we could look and feel amazing.

And as much as i hate to rag on my boy brian urlacher (6 time pro bowler) he was just not hungery enough for me this year and i feel he needs a pay cut but i would hate to lose him from the team. i think we are all so used to see him playing like superman that this last season was a real let down for all us bears fans.
Old 21.02.2009, 10:23 PM
All Pro

Hi Da Bears,

yeah we having had a real star QB since Sid Luckman in the 40's...but I always think that Jimmy Mac was a star,might have been a great QB,but he seem to get the job done..and I always remember when he was side lined with back spasms in a game agaenst the Vikings and he bugged Ditka so much to put him in that Ditka just put him in to shut him up...and his first was a touchdown bomb to I think Willie Gualt...

As for Urlac,he is on the down side of his career and was playing with a bad neck.
Old 21.02.2009, 10:30 PM
All Pro

We actually had 2 future HOF QB's on the roster since Luckman
Old 21.02.2009, 10:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
We actually had 2 future HOF QB's on the roster since Luckman
ok..Bobby Layne & George Blanda,but they didnt stay around because of Hala's man love for Luckman..and they both went on to better things with other teams..
Old 22.02.2009, 03:19 PM
All Pro

I'm so glad Lovie's come out and named Kyle as the starter.

It's the best possible scenario for the franchise.
Old 22.02.2009, 05:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeNeil View Post
I'm so glad Lovie's come out and named Kyle as the starter.

It's the best possible scenario for the franchise.
100% Agreed. Considering what actual pressing needs we have, pursuing a QB isn't a necessity at all.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go for another OT with our first pick, and then a DB with our second.
Old 22.02.2009, 05:45 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dux783 View Post
100% Agreed. Considering what actual pressing needs we have, pursuing a QB isn't a necessity at all.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go for another OT with our first pick, and then a DB with our second.
I doubt that, to be honest.

I think the offensive line is one position you can effectively draft in the later rounds, and Corey Graham and Charles Tillman @ CB's a solid pairing; if we can manage to draft ourselves a good pass-rusher (hopefully on the first day).

I can't see us not going WR with our first pick.