Back down to earth with an almighty bump! - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 28.11.2014, 11:38 AM
Team Captain

Default Back down to earth with an almighty bump!

After the humbling experience of being owned by the Eagles, what's everyone's thoughts on what needs to be improved in the offseason to take us to the next level?

I think we need to focus on the pass rush and secondary, we simply can't rely on the offense to keep scoring 20+ points every game. If you have no pass rush then your secondary will be picked off time after time. Saying that, the secondary needs an upgrade also.

We've addressed the O-Line in recent drafts, now it's the defenses turn...
Old 28.11.2014, 11:58 AM
Hall of Fame

I'll pop this into here from the other thread.

Looking down the road we seriously have to think of a way to build a team that can beat the Eagles. Chip Kelly and his offence look like they will be around for a while. If we can't beat them, then we aren't winning the division, and if we aren't winning the division then we aren't going to play-offs.

I don't really want to go back to the 3 - 4, but if Marinelli leaves then it wouldn't surprise me. The 49ers, Cardinals and Packers have beaten the Eagles, all run 3 - 4 D's. Obviously the 49ers and Cards are good defences regardless, but I do wonder if the pressure and 'options' a 3 - 4 D can create is the answer to slowing down the Eagles.

It starts and ends up front. That's why I'd love to know if we could have traded up for Aaron Donald in the draft with our 1st & 3rd? probably not? and we'll never know. (plus we'd have missed out on Martin. Can't have everything I suppose).

If we stay 4 - 3 though, I worry that Marinelli's scheme just isn't suited to slowing down the Eagles. Henry Melton, in the all important 3 tech spot, isn't worth $9m+ next year as it stands. Problem is, I don't see a stud suited to that role in the draft at the moment either. Can Tyrone Crawford step up?

We have to help the defence anyway, but first we need to know if Marinelli is still here? Has Matt Eberflus took over? Have we brought someone else in? What scheme are we running? Who is still on the roster? So many questions, and we won't know the answers until April.
Old 30.11.2014, 12:25 PM
Pro

Yes we do need to change something because McCoy was like a hot knife through butter and Sanchez played us off the field but I think the speed that the Eagles played at had a big part.

Does anyone think that as it was a short week with Garretts one game at a time approach helped us or could it just be down to pure fitness as everybody was blowing and it wasn't even hot?

I know we have run the ball a lot but does anyone else think maybe we are too predictable?
Old 30.11.2014, 12:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrik2002 View Post
Yes we do need to change something because McCoy was like a hot knife through butter and Sanchez played us off the field but I think the speed that the Eagles played at had a big part.

Does anyone think that as it was a short week with Garretts one game at a time approach helped us or could it just be down to pure fitness as everybody was blowing and it wasn't even hot?

I know we have run the ball a lot but does anyone else think maybe we are too predictable?
We have to run the ball, even if it's predictable, to keep the ball from the Eagles, and to rest our defence. If we go 3 and out, either running or passing, the D will be in big trouble. For me, if we run 60 plays in a game, and it falls 35 running, 25 passing, that's fine.

Everyone will struggle with the pace of the Eagles. It's an anomaly, as they are used to running it week in week out, they are conditioned to do it. The opposition gets 1 game to acclimatise to it, and that's if you are 'lucky' enough to be in their division. They will score plenty too, so unless you can deal with their pass rush, your QB will make mistakes or be under pressure.

The key was 3rd down, on both sides of the ball. We failed on 3rd and short situations, they succeeded on 3rd and long. The Maclin play was a killer. I said during the game, the key is to get them 3rd & long. That applies to every team, but even more so the Eagles. Force Sanchez to make a bigger play, or give yourself the room to contain McCoy or Sproles.

We did a good job of keeping our 3rd downs manageable, but we make the wrong running play calls at the worst time. We take Murray out sometimes to 'confuse' the D, trying to make them guess the pass more, but then Randle or Dunbar can't break tackles. Or we run a draw play out the shotgun, something that doesn't suit a downhill runner like Murray at all. Get rid of the FB, give Murray chance to build up speed, get the O line moving left or right, then Murray take one cut and go.
Old 30.11.2014, 05:47 PM
Pro

Thanks for your opinion RichardCunliffe.

You see a lot more different types of running plays in the NFL which make space for the runner and the Cowboys have used some good different running plays this year but there didn't seem much of a mix on Thursday night. They just didn't get going. It would be nice to see Romo throw the ball and use Murry as a decoy a little more. We all know Murry is a ox and he can tackle where Randle and Dunbar struggles.

I am not going to criticise the team at all because they have been brilliant at times this season and I hope that this lost doesn't effect them and makes them stronger. The 4th quarter against the Giants was a superb display of how to effectively protect the QB and then there was the win in Seattle.

I can't wait for the return game in two weeks as I think we will win in Philly but lets get back on track and beat the Bears.
Old 30.11.2014, 05:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrik2002 View Post
Thanks for your opinion RichardCunliffe.

You see a lot more different types of running plays in the NFL which make space for the runner and the Cowboys have used some good different running plays this year but there didn't seem much of a mix on Thursday night. They just didn't get going. It would be nice to see Romo throw the ball and use Murry as a decoy a little more. We all know Murry is a ox and he can tackle where Randle and Dunbar struggles.

I am not going to criticise the team at all because they have been brilliant at times this season and I hope that this lost doesn't effect them and makes them stronger. The 4th quarter against the Giants was a superb display of how to effectively protect the QB and then there was the win in Seattle.

I can't wait for the return game in two weeks as I think we will win in Philly but lets get back on track and beat the Bears.
As Jason Garrett likes to say......one game at a time.