ProTour Cycling Thread - Page 493 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 17.08.2017, 08:55 AM
Hall of Fame

Looks like more evidence to support the idea of going for stage wins in the big races rather than playing it safe and finishing say 18th in the GC.

The drop off in prize money for top 20 GC finishes is much steeper than I'd expected.
Old 17.08.2017, 11:45 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Looks like more evidence to support the idea of going for stage wins in the big races rather than playing it safe and finishing say 18th in the GC.

The drop off in prize money for top 20 GC finishes is much steeper than I'd expected.
Plus the publicity. Who wants to advertise with a guy who anonymously rode to 13th place? You want your brand name with a photo of Warren Barguil celebrating a stage win at the top of the Izoard wearing the polka dots. Barguil will gets loads more money in endorsements following his Tour than someone who played it safe.
Old 17.08.2017, 02:50 PM
MVP

I have set up a https://www.velogames.com/ league for the Vuelta, not sure why after my effort for the Tour but someone has to prop the rest up...
League Name: NFL UK
League Code: 29810666
Old 19.08.2017, 09:26 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
I have set up a https://www.velogames.com/ league for the Vuelta, not sure why after my effort for the Tour but someone has to prop the rest up...
League Name: NFL UK
League Code: 29810666
This might need a bump as the forum was kind enough to ban everyone leaving me as the only entrant. Deadline is 4pm today.
Old 19.08.2017, 10:08 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This might need a bump as the forum was kind enough to ban everyone leaving me as the only entrant. Deadline is 4pm today.
I'll throw a team together and enter later on.
Old 21.08.2017, 10:37 PM
MVP

Great day of downhill finish racing in the Pyrenees today.
Old 26.08.2017, 09:32 PM
MVP

Warren Barguil thrown of the Vuelta by Sunweb after refusing to follow team orders and help team leader Wilco Kelderman after a puncture.

Last edited by iffies; 26.08.2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 26.08.2017, 09:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Warren Barguil thrown of the Vuelta by Sunweb after refusing to follow team orders and help team leader Wilco Kelderman after a puncture.
Yeah he was sent home last night. I think there's more to it than that: Barguil is already leaving at the end of the season after signing for Fortuneo next year and is probably just out for himself now. He was ahead of Kelderman on GC already and seems to have generally wanted a free role to ride in his own interests in the mountain stages, which isn't what Sunweb wanted. I should think it is highly possible he won't race in a Sunweb jersey again now. UCI rules stop you racing again until the race you abandoned has finished anyway so that takes us up to the World Championships, which he will race in French colours, and after that there were only a couple of Italian one day races that he could have raced anyway.

Barguil is dropping down to a 2nd division team but must be on a pay rise to want to go. And with it being a French team he's certain to get wildcard invites to all the big ASO races including of course the Tour de France. And he will not have to ride for anyone else there he will be undisputed leader.
Old 26.08.2017, 09:52 PM
MVP

Froome has this Vuelta won already. Can't see him losing it short of disaster now. By the time the time trial is over i expect him to be 3-4 minutes clear of everyone. It is a strong field on paper but in reality I think only Chavez is on top form among the rest. And Froome at least so far looks to be on better form here than in the Tour.
Old 30.08.2017, 09:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Froome has this Vuelta won already. Can't see him losing it short of disaster now. By the time the time trial is over i expect him to be 3-4 minutes clear of everyone. It is a strong field on paper but in reality I think only Chavez is on top form among the rest. And Froome at least so far looks to be on better form here than in the Tour.
He seems to have a bee in his bonnet about never having won the Vuelta, and is riding like it. Fair play to him, people love to hate him but he's in the lead and attacky as anything. Riding like a champ.