Old 11.09.2010, 06:59 PM
All Pro

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/b...hschool-265720

This one's a cracker as well
Old 15.09.2010, 12:42 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
Before the moaning and groaning begins, I want to point out that a draw away to Switzerland is a good result for England. The Swiss are a decent, if negative, footballing nation who consistantly qualify for the major tournaments. We can't just turn up and expect to beat them. They're a difficult team to beat and it's always harder to win away from home. Hope we stuff them though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
The Swiss are the only team I can remember losing to Luxembourg (last year iirc) but then they beat Spain in the World Cup so it's hard to know what to expect. We should beat them but when was the last time an England team played to it's potential?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Admirer View Post
Last qualifying campaign. We qualified with three games left after merking the next best team in the group 4-1 and 5-1. So about 6 games ago.
Rome wasn't built in a day but our euro champs results, and more importantly, the performances, are slowly but surely resurrecting my faith in the England team. Let's hope Postman Pat can see the coincidence and he leaves Lumpard out of the team/squad for the rest of the campaign. I could be wrong but I'm sure I heard or read a stat that stated England had won the last six matches that Lampard had missed. Coincidence my backside.
Old 18.09.2010, 04:00 PM
All Pro

That Lampard stat isnt the one that concerns me!
4-1 to Germany
1-0 to Brazil
2-2 v Dutch
2-0 to Spain
2-1 to England v Germany
These results are the ones that matter to me, these are the calibre of teams that reach the final stages of major competitions, apart from the World cup game v germany they were all friendlies. Maybe we didnt have our "first" team out but maybe the opposition didnt either. These are the teams that England need to be beating if we are to stand any chance of winning a trophy. Friendly against France coming up soon, another side that had an appalling world cup. Im not saying its going to be the most competitive match but i would like to see how we stack up against another decent team that is in the rebuilding process.

Not to bring a downer on it all but we have another easy qualifying group we should win comfortably, its the high class opposition that worries me.
Old 18.09.2010, 04:18 PM
MVP

Nah we all know Lampard is what's holding the England team back. If we didn't play him, and instead played someone who is genuienly world class in his position like umm, but anyway if Lampard doesn't play for England we'd have beaten Germany and won the world cup. No doubt about it. It was Lamps that caused Stevie G to misplace about 40% of his passes at the world cup. And he's fat, look

Old 19.09.2010, 08:44 PM
All Pro

I'm doubting the sincerity of your post. I wouldn't put all the England problems at Lampard's feet either but as we have one to easy games without him, he is definately the problem
Old 19.09.2010, 09:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kaizer View Post
I'm doubting the sincerity of your post. I wouldn't put all the England problems at Lampard's feet either but as we have one to easy games without him, he is definately the problem
Not so sure.... it was his shot that wasnt ruled as a goal against germany and would have drug us back into the game.

All while Gerrard was doing his best to serve up an assist to Ozil every single time he got the ball. One would have thought he had Ozil in his fantasy team.

Easy to say who is responsible for what when he play the minnows, but when we played the Big boys from Germany, its was Gerrard who went missing and not Lampard.

3 of the 4 goals england conceded were the result of his positional indiscipline, and after the game Loew remarked that he was gobsmacked that Gerrard was found drifting towards the middle of the park when he was supposed to be playing on the wing.

Sums it up really.

Last edited by vann_mcelroy; 19.09.2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 20.09.2010, 01:23 PM
All Pro

Its hard to read sarcasm and poor grammer. I have said that Lampard recently has been the better player and people always laugh. I thought he has been better than Gerrard for a while now in terms of form, 22goals last season compared to Gerrard's 9.
Old 20.09.2010, 01:31 PM
Pro Bowler

I've been saying for almost two years now that Gerrard has been awful, he's begun to live on his reputation rather than playing to improve it. The only thing that infuriates me more than his f**king diving is when you see him walking around Anfield, if his shorts had pockets his hands would be in them. No doubt he has all the tools to be a great footballer but he just doesn't seem interested anymore. To top it all off Torres got serious stick last week while for a player who isn't long back from injury and searching for form, his goals to games ratio for Liverpool must be one the best in the World at the moment. Gerrard never ever gets criticised by the Pool fans, but I put that down more to their delusional Newcastle type view of the club than anything else. The failure to critically analyse the things closest and dearest to you are part of the reason for the decline of LFC
Old 20.09.2010, 03:38 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kaizer View Post
Imo it either has to be Gerrard or Lampard with a defensive midfielder in there so they can do what they're good at. The manager needs to have a back bone and go with one and pick the best team rather then the best players until then we'll just be an average unbalanced side.
Old 21.09.2010, 07:39 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke87 View Post
Imo it either has to be Gerrard or Lampard with a defensive midfielder in there so they can do what they're good at. The manager needs to have a back bone and go with one and pick the best team rather then the best players until then we'll just be an average unbalanced side.
I don't understand why England are playing a defensive midfielder against the sorts of opposition we are playing. If it was one of the best sides in the world the we should have one playing, but against Switzerland and Bulgaria we shouldn't need one. I think 4-4-2 is an outdated formation if you look at how the current game is being played but maybe thats just me.