Politics - Page 1611 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

  #16101  
Old 09.02.2019, 09:02 PM
Two-minute drill's Avatar
Two-minute drill Two-minute drill is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 5,309
Default

RE: Venezuela:

The most stunning hypocrisy of Venezuela’s coup is US claiming a “starving nation” & “dictatorship” demands intervention, while at the same time working with dictators to put millions on brink of starvation in Yemen
https://twitter.com/AbbyMartin/statu...05230476861440

are there any imperialist interventionists on nfluk ?. john boulton and mike pompeo are rancid.
Reply With Quote
  #16102  
Old 09.02.2019, 11:21 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so according to the pro-Brexit BBC Daily Politics this week Italy is already officially in recession and other parts of the EU aren't to far behind so they are going to risk a knock on effect of a no-deal Brexit which would hit us but would also hit them in some way shape or form.

also have not seen it explained where the EU will get the £18bn plus short fall from what we currently send to them each year once our divorce bill runs out in two years time.

also never bought the Mail/Express in my life,they any good??
And if Italy is in recession do you think selling prosecco to the UK will lift them out of recession? Did it last time?

I think quite a few countries are headed for recession, us included. Brexit will be a factor but far from the only factor.
Reply With Quote
  #16103  
Old 10.02.2019, 05:19 AM
Two-minute drill's Avatar
Two-minute drill Two-minute drill is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 5,309
Default

"this money is to pay for my grandma who is 100 years old and she has been hospitalised for days. she has no insurance"

Liar, sorry, Lilian Tintori.
Liar Tintori.
Reply With Quote
  #16104  
Old 11.02.2019, 10:53 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

Vodafone customer and former UKIP leader Suzanne Evans laments the fact the company might bring back roaming charges post-Brexit. You’d say it beggars belief, except it happens so often now it just merits a loud sigh.

Meanwhile, how does Chris Grayling keep getting ministerial jobs? Has this guy ever done anything well?

One reason I fear the worst over Brexit is that we are being asked to put our trust in the government to overcome the various hurdles, and the government has people like him at the controls. Transport will be utter chaos. Still, he did his lorry exercise in Kent with about 80 lorries... it’s like simulating an earthquake by gently swaying from side to side.
Reply With Quote
  #16105  
Old 11.02.2019, 11:13 PM
Dj00ns Dj00ns is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.09.2018
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
the Dem's would be sensible with that approach but have you actually read the green new policy that everyone is raving about,it makes Corbyn 2017 manifesto look well thought out and more achievable.
Sticking the word "green" in front of something doesn't fill me with confidence. I assumed it was a crock. Well, let's read it...

...

A crock alright.

I wouldn't post this..

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...Deal-FINAL.pdf

..to this forum, let alone Congress.

For one thing, it is full of untruths.

"A significant portion of the United States population" does not have clean water? Or healthy food? What, nobody can buy vegetables any more? If the people of the USA do not have access to healthy food, who does? You have genuinely poor people in the world having to sweat blood to grow their own food and Americans who can't be bothered to walk to a grocer.

Sigh. If American politics lurches from Trump to this, it will be getting worse, not better. Trump may be a plum but even he has managed to go 2 years without taking a monkey wrench to the economy.

You can't vote millions of good, high-wage jobs into existence.

You can imagine the scene if this woman became President, can't you? It would be something straight out of Yes Minister.

"We promised to upgrade all existing buildings in the United States to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification. Stop climate change!"

"Yes Mrs President. The necessary additional cladding, insulating wool, water monitors, pumps, radiators, copper wire, rubber insulation, materials transport and upvc double glazing can be ready by adding a night shift to every factory in the United States for the next 4 years. This will approximately double the levels of industrial pollution and our carbon footprint. We will have to burn 50% more fossil fuels, because solar power does not work in the night. Or, really, in the winter. Or in the Autumn or the Spring in much of the country.

I think some politicians get their ideas from Peppa Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Biden by CCN polling would be there best candidate followed by Sanders but that would hardly be great for a diverse society.

even Elizabeth Warren who will throw her hat in the ring soon has had decade old documents where she described herself as American-Indian surface which she has had to apologies for or if your following the Virginia mess where the top 3 ranking dem's in that state are all in trouble over historical incidents proves that no one in totally Teflon.
Come on Oprah!
Reply With Quote
  #16106  
Old 11.02.2019, 11:27 PM
Dj00ns Dj00ns is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.09.2018
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
so according to the pro-Brexit BBC Daily Politics this week Italy is already officially in recession and other parts of the EU aren't to far behind so they are going to risk a knock on effect of a no-deal Brexit which would hit us but would also hit them in some way shape or form.
Yes. Just like we are doing.

It didn't happen, did it? The German car makers were meant to send German politicians rushing to London to prostrate themselves before us and beg for a generous deal.

We were meant to hold all the cards! They would be the easiest negotiations in history.

This was when there was 2.5 years to Brexit. Now there are 46 days. Has the penny not dropped, yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
also have not seen it explained where the EU will get the £18bn plus short fall from what we currently send to them each year once our divorce bill runs out in two years time.
Our annual net contribution is not £18bn. It is between £8-9bn.

The EU Budget is appx E150bn. So the answer is that they will have to tighten their belt a little. Probably delay some projects. Tbh if they could get a grip on fraud in places like Hungary you'd think they could get this back and more besides. The EU certainly isn't perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #16107  
Old 12.02.2019, 12:44 AM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj00ns View Post
Sticking the word "green" in front of something doesn't fill me with confidence. I assumed it was a crock. Well, let's read it...

...

A crock alright.

I wouldn't post this..

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...Deal-FINAL.pdf

..to this forum, let alone Congress.

For one thing, it is full of untruths.

"A significant portion of the United States population" does not have clean water? Or healthy food? What, nobody can buy vegetables any more? If the people of the USA do not have access to healthy food, who does? You have genuinely poor people in the world having to sweat blood to grow their own food and Americans who can't be bothered to walk to a grocer.

Sigh. If American politics lurches from Trump to this, it will be getting worse, not better. Trump may be a plum but even he has managed to go 2 years without taking a monkey wrench to the economy.

You can't vote millions of good, high-wage jobs into existence.

You can imagine the scene if this woman became President, can't you? It would be something straight out of Yes Minister.

"We promised to upgrade all existing buildings in the United States to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification. Stop climate change!"

"Yes Mrs President. The necessary additional cladding, insulating wool, water monitors, pumps, radiators, copper wire, rubber insulation, materials transport and upvc double glazing can be ready by adding a night shift to every factory in the United States for the next 4 years. This will approximately double the levels of industrial pollution and our carbon footprint. We will have to burn 50% more fossil fuels, because solar power does not work in the night. Or, really, in the winter. Or in the Autumn or the Spring in much of the country.

I think some politicians get their ideas from Peppa Pig.



Come on Oprah!

i havent gone through it but on the note of clean water it is a major issue in the States.

you can google it or you know the folks at Last Week Tonight did this piece not that long ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUizvEjR-0U





Trump is doing plenty of damage to pretty much everything look at the impact of his tax bill or his environmental policies. he pretty much hires the opposite person needed for every job.



and i still think the Dems should go begging to The Rock, its dopey but he has the power to take Trump out in every way possible.
Reply With Quote
  #16108  
Old 12.02.2019, 01:38 AM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Posts: 8,299
Default

I will say that sometimes when I've been in downtown in some US cities I've found it almost impossible to buy fruit and veg outside of perhaps an apple or a banana, at least without stepping into a restaurant and ordering a full meal, and even then it would be light on greens and heavy on carbs and fats. I could buy plenty of junk food, sodas and takeaway pizzas or hotdogs. But not much healthy. My diet when travelling around the US without a car and mostly being in hotels near/in downtown was generally appalling. There are no proper supermarkets in downtown, just 7/11s and similar selling junk. For those who live near to downtown, which is mostly the poor in many American cities, finding healthy food is a challenge in a way that it isn't here.
Reply With Quote
  #16109  
Old 12.02.2019, 02:10 PM
Dj00ns Dj00ns is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.09.2018
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I will say that sometimes when I've been in downtown in some US cities I've found it almost impossible to buy fruit and veg outside of perhaps an apple or a banana, at least without stepping into a restaurant and ordering a full meal, and even then it would be light on greens and heavy on carbs and fats. I could buy plenty of junk food, sodas and takeaway pizzas or hotdogs. But not much healthy. My diet when travelling around the US without a car and mostly being in hotels near/in downtown was generally appalling. There are no proper supermarkets in downtown, just 7/11s and similar selling junk. For those who live near to downtown, which is mostly the poor in many American cities, finding healthy food is a challenge in a way that it isn't here.
The US is one of the worlds most capitalist Nations. Selling and profit are King.

If there aren't vegetables downtown it's not because of some capitalist conspiracy to deny the poor vegetables. It's because the poor don't buy vegetables. Wouldn't buy them if they were there. Probably wouldn't accept them as a gift. Or if they did, wouldn't eat them.

You don't need a store to sell vegetables. If there is this huge untapped demand for them, it only takes a guy who will drive out to where they do sell vegetables, who will load up his truck, bring them back and knock on doors. Or fulfill orders he took earlier. In America of all places there is an abundance of people who would do this if there was a market for it.

If downtown can make a street market for $10 bags of black tar heroin that comes all the way from Mexico, dodging the police all the way.. it can make a market for $10 bags of vegetables that come from the farm a half hour drive away.

When I went and stayed with friends in the States my jaw dropped because they ate out every night. The kitchen was somewhere for keeping fizzy drinks. They ate out the whole week and then - as a treat - my hostess did as she promised and cooked for me on the Friday night. I'm not criticising them. Nice people. It was just their lifestyle. Big clothes, though.

In somewhere with a free market as fluid as the US, people get what they want. They might complain about it later, but money talks and if that money was destined for healthy food, healthy food would come flooding in.
Reply With Quote
  #16110  
Old 12.02.2019, 02:23 PM
Dj00ns Dj00ns is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 20.09.2018
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
i havent gone through it but on the note of clean water it is a major issue in the States.

you can google it or you know the folks at Last Week Tonight did this piece not that long ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUizvEjR-0U
Flint was an abberation. What a mess. But the USA as a country does not have a serious dirty water problem. If it did, people would be dying from waterborne diseases.

In parts of the world with dirty water children die in swathes from Cholera, Dysentery, Typhoid.. you name it.

Lead is a problem the West has been grappling with for years. From lead crystal decanters to lead paint to leaded petrol.. and yes, lead pipes. It is gradually being phased out of everything. But it is an enormous job. The kind of job that can take a generation. Long term exposure to this once ubiquitous metal is not ideal but it pales beside the risks of genuinely dirty water.

Nor am I saying it isn't a political issue. The border wall is an issue too. But what people are concerned about and what they should justifiably be concerned about are not always the same thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 11:20 PM.