The *all new* 2011 New England Patriots Draft thread! - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New England Patriots

Old 21.11.2010, 03:02 PM
GOAT

Send a message via MSN to Razors Edge
Default The *all new* 2011 New England Patriots Draft thread!

Welcome once again Pats fans to one of my favourite parts of the year - the all encompassing Draft thread. What I'm aiming to do is compile a list of the best Pats-orientated Draft-eligible prospects available for next April. Notice the key-phrase there - "Pats-orientated". That means you'll not see any 6'1" 220lb Linebackers, or any 6'1" 280lb Defensive Tackles, or any 6'5" 340lb Offensive Tackles.

Offensive position guidelines

What we're looking for are mobile, athletic linemen - Tackles in the 6'6"+/310-320lb range, Guards in the 6'3"-6'5"/310-315lb range, and aggressive Centers in the 6'3"/305lb range.

Receivers can be any height, but what they must possess are good or better route running skills, good or better hands, and a sudden first step.

Running backs must be able to pass block and receive out of the back field. One trick ponies are no good.

If you're thinking Quarterback then there's a set of rules all on their own that you have to follow:
  • Good or better mechanics
  • Productivity
  • Football Intelligence
  • Leadership
  • Height
When it comes to Big Daddy Bill's Quarterback Emporium, you must possess a minimum of three of the above traits.

Defensive position guidelines

Nose Tackles have to be space eaters first, otherwise you'd best possess a terrific first step and be able to penetrate. If you're under 300lbs, forget it.

Defensive Ends - long arms, wide bodies. See Seymour, Richard, and Warren, Ty. You have to be able to hold your ground and eat blockers (literally), and if you can get after the passer, it's an added bonus. That's why Seymour is probably the greatest 3-4 End that's ever lived, by the way.

Outside Linebackers - if you can't stop the run, then don't bother applying. It's all about setting the edge first, getting after the passer second. The archetypal 3-4 OLB is in the 6'5"/270lb range, especially where the Pats two gap 3-4 scheme is concerned. We've settled for smaller though recently - Rosie had a lot of success opposite Vrabel, whilst TBC had a great year last year. Jermaine Cunningham's the biggest we've had since Vrabel and Willie Mac's hey-day though, and he's having a terrific rookie year. Again, one trick ponies need not apply.

If you're thinking Safety, then it's all about instincts and smarts. Size has little to do with it, although if you're 6'2" and can hit like a truck as well as move like a Gazelle and read a Quarterback, then you'll be higher than others.

Cornerbacks - hips and footwork. Hips and footwork. Size is a bonus although the Pats seemingly don't mind whether you're 5'9" or 6'1".

-------------------------------------------------

So, with that in mind, let's start you off with a few obvious ones.

Derek Sherrod, OT, MSU Bulldogs - 6'5", 305lbs;
a little smaller than what we've looked at in recent years (Vollmer, LeVoir, O'Callaghan, Britt), but he has perfect technique and feet. A Matt Light clone. Which is never a bad thing. Mostly.

Anthony Castonzo, OT, BC Eagles - 6'7", 304lbs; not quite the consensus #1 OT, but not far off. I have Sherrod higher personally, but that's no knock on Castonzo, although his weight will concern people. Must get bigger and stronger whilst maintaining his impressive agility.

Clint Boling, OG, Georgia Bulldogs - 6'5", 310lbs;
my favourite lineman in the entire Draft. Has played every position on the line bar centre and has looked competent at the very least in all four spots. Has excellent short area quickness, excellent footwork and is very athletic, although he won't make it at OT in the Pro's.

Right, three O-linemen for you there, let's see what you can come up with
Old 21.11.2010, 04:30 PM
All Pro

If he falls to the lower rounds do you think we take Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi to develop behind Brady?
Old 21.11.2010, 04:44 PM
GOAT

Send a message via MSN to Razors Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris caulfield View Post
If he falls to the lower rounds do you think we take Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi to develop behind Brady?
He'll be an option, but it depends on the opinion of the FO on the following subjects.

1. Is Brian Hoyer capable of leading this team to a winning season should Brady go down again?

2. Is the candidate a Cassel/Brady in the making?

3. How highly is the position valued? (which I suppose ties into the other two).

4. Is he the best player at the most valued position on the Draft board?

For the record, I have Stanzi as the #4 QB on my board (Luck......................................Mallet. .Locker...........Stanzi), and I'm a big fan, and you can bet your ass that with one of BB's disciples coaching him, we'll know everything about him right down to the way he likes his steak cooked.
Old 21.11.2010, 05:06 PM
Team Captain

I think we'll take a RB, don't know when but BJGE is doing a good job just now, has done more than Maroney anyway. Taylor, Morris and Faulk are coming to the end of their careers, Woodhead and BJGE have until the end of the season and their contracts are up.
Old 21.11.2010, 08:12 PM
All Pro

Great thread you got started here. Will hopefully help me understand a bit more what fits around our system and what sort of prospects are coming up. I don't ever see any college ball you see.

I'm guessing we will take a WR fairly high up. Probably second round after we've bulked up the O line and D?
Old 21.11.2010, 08:26 PM
All Pro

I like this thread i can learn about draftees and such. On the subject of Brian Hoyer i wouldn't even trust him to pick up my dry cleaning.
Old 22.11.2010, 12:39 AM
Hall of Fame

Thoughts on Kellen Moore?
Old 22.11.2010, 12:42 AM
All Pro

Personally I cant see us needing a RB. Woodhead looks like a class act and big bill would be a fool not to get him a new contract. I think our O line needs strengthening for next season.
Old 22.11.2010, 12:55 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnitude View Post
Thoughts on Kellen Moore?
I think he will stay for he senior season.
Old 22.11.2010, 02:39 PM
All Pro

Stefen Wisniewski, OC/G, Penn State, 6’3, 298lbs
Has the versatility to play guard or centre. Is technically sound and physical. Good in pass protection and run blocking with good enough mobility to get to the second level. I would happily take him with our first 2nd round pick.

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado, 6’8, 310lbs
Similar to Vollmer in both the positive and negative aspects of his game. Very athletic former tight end. Technique in pass protection needs some work but is a solid run blocker with the ability to reach the second level. Project at LT but could be a solid RT. Has a lot of upside but I wouldn’t select him before our second 2nd round pick.

I watched Stanzi @ Northwestern and I thought he was very meh TBH. His arm strength is pretty average and he underthrows a lot of his passes and doesn’t really get any velocity on his short/intermediate throws. I would question his decision making as there were a number of throws in the Northwestern game that were more than a little dodgy and he holds on to the ball for too long at times.