Posts about fans?! - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 29.09.2014, 01:36 PM
durham_raider's Avatar
durham_raider durham_raider is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 24.10.2003
Posts: 1,461
Default

We'll I was in the Black Hole and the Raider fans were loud and constant throughout. Even at 31 points down they were still trying to get behind their team. What was more, as the stadium was emptying around them with casual/neutral fans looking to beat the tube rush the Raiders fans stayed til the end. How many fans of other teams could say the same??

Feel real sympathy with the guys who have spent thousands coming over from Oakland and the rest of the US to be subjected to such a shambolic and gutless performance.

Still, met some great people whom I'll never forget.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old 29.09.2014, 01:47 PM
Mountain Man's Avatar
Mountain Man Mountain Man is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 03.12.2008
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabro View Post
wow man I think your tampon just fell out?
Grow up. Sorry if truth and reality hurts.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 29.09.2014, 01:59 PM
silver&black's Avatar
silver&black silver&black is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 11.01.2010
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durham_raider View Post
We'll I was in the Black Hole and the Raider fans were loud and constant throughout. Even at 31 points down they were still trying to get behind their team. What was more, as the stadium was emptying around them with casual/neutral fans looking to beat the tube rush the Raiders fans stayed til the end. How many fans of other teams could say the same??

Feel real sympathy with the guys who have spent thousands coming over from Oakland and the rest of the US to be subjected to such a shambolic and gutless performance.

Still, met some great people whom I'll never forget.
Got to agree totally with this it was all over by the third quarter but I was also in this endzone and the noise and Raider fans kept on cheering to the bitter end and it was bitter
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 29.09.2014, 02:05 PM
BritishBronco's Avatar
BritishBronco BritishBronco is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.10.2007
Posts: 5,017
Default

I think there's some truth to the Brit/American comparisons, Brits can tend to be a bit more understated with their support for the large part and not so unashamedly vocal and brash (though certain segments of British fans are and particularly after a few drinks). I don't mean that in a bad way at all talking about Americans, I quite like it really, but I do think the supporter culture of the two country's is a bit different and that accentuates the difference in atmosphere between a London game and an American one
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 29.09.2014, 02:16 PM
Diabro's Avatar
Diabro Diabro is offline
Banned (Mano, again!)
 
Join Date: 29.09.2014
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBronco View Post
I think there's some truth to the Brit/American comparisons, Brits can tend to be a bit more understated with their support for the large part and not so unashamedly vocal and brash (though certain segments of British fans are and particularly after a few drinks). I don't mean that in a bad way at all talking about Americans, I quite like it really, but I do think the supporter culture of the two country's is a bit different and that accentuates the difference in atmosphere between a London game and an American one
Disagree

You can't just group every American stereotypically. All American are loud and outgoing haha trust me I lived there and some are social outcasts! There are more brits I know that you could be described as more "Social" than many Americans I know! There's gamers out there that never leave their room. There's people that work 9-5 then go home and watch TV all afternoon.

You can't group Americans like those from "TV shows" lol -
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 29.09.2014, 02:40 PM
MaddenAboutTheDolphins's Avatar
MaddenAboutTheDolphins MaddenAboutTheDolphins is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 08.12.2010
Posts: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nadge View Post
Here's an idea, lose the flags on seats and give noise makers?! Instead of "waive your flag" or "make noise", bang your drum?
Seriously, if they started giving out 80,000 drums it would be the last NFL game I would pay to see at Wembley.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 29.09.2014, 02:45 PM
connelly360's Avatar
connelly360 connelly360 is offline
Starter
 
Join Date: 02.05.2013
Posts: 224
Default

I stayed until the end.
Sat behind me in club wembley were 20 american phins fans that flew over together. One of the old guys looked really familiar. Well they left before the end of the 3rd. So it's not all brit fans.
I do not think this will be a problem at the falcons game being earlier and transport is easier at that time. Should be a great experience for first timers at the falcons game.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 29.09.2014, 03:35 PM
pozbaird's Avatar
pozbaird pozbaird is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 14.01.2010
Posts: 1,360
Default

I genuinely don't understand why anyone is still bemoaning the fact that Wembley "isn't like a game in America".... of course it isn't. If you have 75,000 Broncos fans in Mile High and the Chargers are facing a third and long - it's going to be mental.

If you have a mostly neutral crowd in 32 different jerseys at Wembley there for the love of the sport - it isn't going to be mental, third and long or not. Let's be honest, if, oh, let's say, Everton FC are at home to Manchester City, and they go 1-0 up... the Gladys Street end will be nuts. If the game takes place in Nashville or Philadelphia, and the fans are all sitting there because they like a bit of soccer....not so nuts.

I don't get the need for Wembley to mimic a partisan game in the USA. If the game itself is a good un' (Steelers v Vikings), the atmosphere will be good. If the game is a blowout (and there's been a few), then naturally a crowd that is largely neutral in the first place will be less into it.

Instead of trying to make Wembley into something it's not - a USA hosted game, why can't we simply enjoy, and build upon, what has become a genuinely different 'Wembley weekend'. Everyone seems to like it - the owners, players and fans. I certainly love it, and thoroughly enjoy being there for the love of the sport. Wearing my trusty Broncos 'Wembley 10' jersey - I am happy to cheer and applaud good play by both teams, no matter who they are, and the Steelers v Vikings game had me roaring on both teams. I am already well up for seeing Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford do their thing next month, and with what looks like being two well-matched teams taking to the field. Megatron or Jones.... no matter who, wearing red or light blue jerseys - I hope to see some great stuff from both teams and hope it matches the Steelers v Vikings game for excitement.

Let's hear it for the UK, and Wembley being unique - not trying to be something it isn't.

Last edited by pozbaird; 29.09.2014 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 29.09.2014, 04:02 PM
BritishBronco's Avatar
BritishBronco BritishBronco is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 10.10.2007
Posts: 5,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabro View Post
Disagree

You can't just group every American stereotypically. All American are loud and outgoing haha trust me I lived there and some are social outcasts! There are more brits I know that you could be described as more "Social" than many Americans I know! There's gamers out there that never leave their room. There's people that work 9-5 then go home and watch TV all afternoon.

You can't group Americans like those from "TV shows" lol -
Well for one thing I wasn't even talking about their personalities, I was talking about the difference in fan culture which obviously does differ across different countries.

Also nobody made any comment about 'all' Americans, it goes without saying that not all of any one nationality are exactly alike
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 29.09.2014, 05:39 PM
frickerley's Avatar
frickerley frickerley is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 05.09.2003
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinsfan View Post
We had 5-6 raiders fans (wearing shirts, hats, etc ) next to us that never made a noise all game, I did wonder why they even came if I'm honest!. Only stood up and smiled when the Mexican wave came about, but then again I had a Dolphins female fan sat next to me that didn't make any noise until we scored or yet again the wave came over us then she was happy and very enthusiastic about the interaction of the fans
^
this, every wembley game I've been to, even the really good ones like chargers-saints or vikings-steelers. I understand new fans, or curious londoners on a day out, not knowing that cheering for the team you're backing is important, but to sit silently for 3 or 4 hours, perhaps cheering when a touchdown is scored? how can that be fun?
I always pick a team and cheer for them on D,and often find some people will join in around your section, and that spreads round the stadium.
I guess it's cliched british shyness and lack of knowledge that's keeping them quiet - poor play from some teams doesnt help either - but It really does annoy me that the nfluk PR machine will say it's a playoff-like atmosphere at wembley, when it's often more like a village cricket game - a ripple of applause for most plays and the odd cheer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 04:49 AM.