London franchise name? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

View Poll Results: What should a London franchise be called?
Cavaliers 9 3.88%
Kings 6 2.59%
Knights 53 22.84%
Monarchs 43 18.53%
Royals 24 10.34%
Other 97 41.81%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.05.2014, 11:43 PM
mikeygnfl's Avatar
mikeygnfl mikeygnfl is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 06.09.2010
Posts: 766
Default London franchise name?

With three International Series games coming to Wembley this year, it may not be too far away from London having its own franchise.

Last edited by mikeygnfl; 01.05.2014 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02.05.2014, 12:10 AM
goodkarma84's Avatar
goodkarma84 goodkarma84 is online now
GOAT
 
Join Date: 15.09.2008
Posts: 27,273
Default

Werewolves of London.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.05.2014, 12:59 AM
jimbobjoylove's Avatar
jimbobjoylove jimbobjoylove is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 02.11.2010
Posts: 3,771
Default

I'm a raving anti-monarchist so anything of that ilk would see me want to see them lose

Putting that aside though, I reckon the NFL wouldn't "go back" to the Monarchs name. While it's recognisable for a small portion of people, it was always a 2nd tier team, and if there ever is a London franchise then there's no need to associate a premier NFL team with the past.

If it was the Jaguars that eventually got moved over, I think they'd keep the Jags name. Would make no sense to do all this Union Ja stuff to then change the name after the move.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.05.2014, 06:12 AM
HSTDriver's Avatar
HSTDriver HSTDriver is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 22.08.2009
Posts: 11,276
Default

Any name relating to monarchs, knights, bulldogs etc would just feel very tacky. Especially when coupled with the obligatory red/white/blue uniform.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.05.2014, 08:04 AM
Dolphin_Akie's Avatar
Dolphin_Akie Dolphin_Akie is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 03.12.2010
Posts: 14,304
Default

Not a fan of anything like Royals, Cavaliers or Kings just because there are already franchises with those names. Even if Royals would be more suited to a London team than a team based in Kansas City, need it to be original.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.05.2014, 08:11 AM
RUN RUN RICKY's Avatar
RUN RUN RICKY RUN RUN RICKY is offline
Team Captain
 
Join Date: 30.10.2005
Posts: 487
Default

Agreed, if they move a team over here they should keep the name although, for example, Jaguars aren't exactly synonymous with London or the UK.

Nothing relating to the monarchy - it's definitely lame - but something like Hurricanes or Spitfires which have an obvious connection with British history could work if they have to go down that route.

My preference would be no international teams.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.05.2014, 08:51 AM
AlexBronco's Avatar
AlexBronco AlexBronco is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 04.02.2013
Posts: 1,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN RUN RICKY View Post
Agreed, if they move a team over here they should keep the name although, for example, Jaguars aren't exactly synonymous with London or the UK.

Nothing relating to the monarchy - it's definitely lame - but something like Hurricanes or Spitfires which have an obvious connection with British history could work if they have to go down that route.

My preference would be no international teams.
Aye, but the car makes Jag is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.05.2014, 09:03 AM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent Vincent is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02.02.2007
Posts: 15,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
I'm a raving anti-monarchist so anything of that ilk would see me want to see them lose

Putting that aside though, I reckon the NFL wouldn't "go back" to the Monarchs name. While it's recognisable for a small portion of people, it was always a 2nd tier team, and if there ever is a London franchise then there's no need to associate a premier NFL team with the past.

If it was the Jaguars that eventually got moved over, I think they'd keep the Jags name. Would make no sense to do all this Union Ja stuff to then change the name after the move.
Some people really don't understand this whole Union Jax thing. It really is nothing to do with the team moving over here - quite the opposite. The team and city are making the most of the exclusive marketing rights to grow the brand of the Jaguars over the next four years on an international market, and they are doing a rather good job. Nothing more to it.

If a London team is created, I'd like something like the 'Bulldogs' or 'Spitfires' or something else inherently British (non-monarchy related though).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.05.2014, 09:06 AM
PhilGroom's Avatar
PhilGroom PhilGroom is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 04.02.2008
Posts: 5,552
Default

And so it begins.... again
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.05.2014, 09:07 AM
Packman12's Avatar
Packman12 Packman12 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 19.06.2005
Posts: 16,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Some people really don't understand this whole Union Jax thing. It really is nothing to do with the team moving over here - quite the opposite. The team and city are making the most of the exclusive marketing rights to grow the brand of the Jaguars over the next four years on an international market, and they are doing a rather good job. Nothing more to it.
They are also using it as a ruse to say that the Jaguars fan base is growing at a staggering rate, which is not true. We still have the same Jags fans on here as ever before.

The vast majority of Union Jax members are people who wanted free stuff who support other teams.

Of the names listed the Knights is the best name
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 04:13 AM.