London franchise name? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

View Poll Results: What should a London franchise be called?
Cavaliers 9 3.88%
Kings 6 2.59%
Knights 53 22.84%
Monarchs 43 18.53%
Royals 24 10.34%
Other 97 41.81%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01.05.2014, 11:43 PM
Pro Bowler

Default London franchise name?

With three International Series games coming to Wembley this year, it may not be too far away from London having its own franchise.

Last edited by mikeygnfl; 01.05.2014 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02.05.2014, 12:10 AM
GOAT

Werewolves of London.
Old 02.05.2014, 12:59 AM
All Pro

I'm a raving anti-monarchist so anything of that ilk would see me want to see them lose

Putting that aside though, I reckon the NFL wouldn't "go back" to the Monarchs name. While it's recognisable for a small portion of people, it was always a 2nd tier team, and if there ever is a London franchise then there's no need to associate a premier NFL team with the past.

If it was the Jaguars that eventually got moved over, I think they'd keep the Jags name. Would make no sense to do all this Union Ja stuff to then change the name after the move.
Old 02.05.2014, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Any name relating to monarchs, knights, bulldogs etc would just feel very tacky. Especially when coupled with the obligatory red/white/blue uniform.
Old 02.05.2014, 08:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Not a fan of anything like Royals, Cavaliers or Kings just because there are already franchises with those names. Even if Royals would be more suited to a London team than a team based in Kansas City, need it to be original.
Old 02.05.2014, 08:11 AM
Team Captain

Agreed, if they move a team over here they should keep the name although, for example, Jaguars aren't exactly synonymous with London or the UK.

Nothing relating to the monarchy - it's definitely lame - but something like Hurricanes or Spitfires which have an obvious connection with British history could work if they have to go down that route.

My preference would be no international teams.
Old 02.05.2014, 08:51 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN RUN RICKY View Post
Agreed, if they move a team over here they should keep the name although, for example, Jaguars aren't exactly synonymous with London or the UK.

Nothing relating to the monarchy - it's definitely lame - but something like Hurricanes or Spitfires which have an obvious connection with British history could work if they have to go down that route.

My preference would be no international teams.
Aye, but the car makes Jag is.
Old 02.05.2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
I'm a raving anti-monarchist so anything of that ilk would see me want to see them lose

Putting that aside though, I reckon the NFL wouldn't "go back" to the Monarchs name. While it's recognisable for a small portion of people, it was always a 2nd tier team, and if there ever is a London franchise then there's no need to associate a premier NFL team with the past.

If it was the Jaguars that eventually got moved over, I think they'd keep the Jags name. Would make no sense to do all this Union Ja stuff to then change the name after the move.
Some people really don't understand this whole Union Jax thing. It really is nothing to do with the team moving over here - quite the opposite. The team and city are making the most of the exclusive marketing rights to grow the brand of the Jaguars over the next four years on an international market, and they are doing a rather good job. Nothing more to it.

If a London team is created, I'd like something like the 'Bulldogs' or 'Spitfires' or something else inherently British (non-monarchy related though).
Old 02.05.2014, 09:06 AM
MVP

And so it begins.... again
Old 02.05.2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Some people really don't understand this whole Union Jax thing. It really is nothing to do with the team moving over here - quite the opposite. The team and city are making the most of the exclusive marketing rights to grow the brand of the Jaguars over the next four years on an international market, and they are doing a rather good job. Nothing more to it.
They are also using it as a ruse to say that the Jaguars fan base is growing at a staggering rate, which is not true. We still have the same Jags fans on here as ever before.

The vast majority of Union Jax members are people who wanted free stuff who support other teams.

Of the names listed the Knights is the best name