........Dallas Cowboys thread - Page 198 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 17.03.2018, 10:27 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
The worrying thing for me with the talk of Smith and the SAM is........when was the last time you heard/saw the importance of the SAM in this scheme? I mean it's been occupied by Kyle Wilbur and Damien Wilson for what seems like forever.

This scheme is about the WILL and the MIKE. So we spent a high 2nd round pick on a LB who it turns out plays your least important LB spot and sees the field less than 50% of the time?! That to me is a sign of concern. Either Smith isn't able to handle the playbook yet or he's physically still got some way to go.
Dont pretend to know the ins and outs of the scheme at Cowboys, but didnt Lee play at SAM?
Sponsored Links
Old 17.03.2018, 11:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Dont pretend to know the ins and outs of the scheme at Cowboys, but didnt Lee play at SAM?
I don't think so. He's played the MIKE and the WILL. He played ILB in a 3-4 too, again I think those 2 spots are classed as MIKE and WILL too.

Tbh I always find the LB designation a little wierd/confusing. The SAM is meant to be the 'strongside' defender, so 99% of the time where the opposing TE lines up. When players go in motion though that obviously affects the linebacker. Sean Lee is pretty much always referred to as the WILL/MIKE by people who know more about football than me, BUT there must be times when he covers TE's. In fact I'm sure there are.

Marinelli's scheme is similar to a Tampa 2, with its own nuisances. Think of the great Tampa 2.....in Tampa. Derrick Brooks was your run/hit/chase tackling machine that the scheme was designed to funnel plays towards. Now they have Lavonte David in a similar mould. They are/were WILL's. Sean Lee is similar if not quite as athletic (he makes up for it with speed of thought though).
Old 18.03.2018, 10:23 AM
All Pro

Quote:
The worrying thing for me with the talk of Smith and the SAM is........when was the last time you heard/saw the importance of the SAM in this scheme? I mean it's been occupied by Kyle Wilbur and Damien Wilson for what seems like forever.

This scheme is about the WILL and the MIKE. So we spent a high 2nd round pick on a LB who it turns out plays your least important LB spot and sees the field less than 50% of the time?! That to me is a sign of concern. Either Smith isn't able to handle the playbook yet or he's physically still got some way to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6IIrwQcps
58 secs in against the Bears he is lined up at SAM? the only time as i can see tho
Old 18.03.2018, 06:42 PM
All Pro

Interesting they are hosting Pat T Cameron Fleming-maybe the thought is to shift Collins back to LG after all? Thought Collins did ok at RT tho considering the opposition he faced, but with Cooper a FA its poss, hes only 25 and i think the Pats would like him back as Solder has gone already-wouldnt cost the earth either.
Old 18.03.2018, 07:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Interesting they are hosting Pat T Cameron Fleming-maybe the thought is to shift Collins back to LG after all? Thought Collins did ok at RT tho considering the opposition he faced, but with Cooper a FA its poss, hes only 25 and i think the Pats would like him back as Solder has gone already-wouldnt cost the earth either.
It'll be a mild surprise if that was to happen after all the talk of Collins being their RT after they re-signed him. I think they can find a better RT than Collins tbh, which would then mean a return to LG would make sense.

Not convinced Fleming is the answer, although as you say he's only 25. Nothing to say he wouldn't improve.

(still wonder if they should have drafted Ramcyzk in rd 1 last year and left Collins at LG all along)
Old 18.03.2018, 08:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
It'll be a mild surprise if that was to happen after all the talk of Collins being their RT after they re-signed him. I think they can find a better RT than Collins tbh, which would then mean a return to LG would make sense.

Not convinced Fleming is the answer, although as you say he's only 25. Nothing to say he wouldn't improve.

(still wonder if they should have drafted Ramcyzk in rd 1 last year and left Collins at LG all along)
Yeah thats a good point, at this stage it would have made more sense than Charlton
Old 19.03.2018, 11:57 AM
All Pro

You were saying about Wilber?