Looks Like We're Sticking With Gabbert - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Jacksonville Jaguars

Old 09.02.2013, 05:36 PM
MVP

Default Looks Like We're Sticking With Gabbert

From NFL.Com:

"General manager Dave Caldwell isn't ready to give up on Blaine Gabbert, saying instead the team will shape its roster around the young quarterback.

"That was his second year," Caldwell told The Florida Times-Union this week. "What were they saying about other quarterbacks after their second year? We're looking for improvement (in his third year). We need to build around him. We'll upgrade whenever we can upgrade."

Caldwell told the newspaper the Jaguars aren't about to dazzle society in free agency, but instead build "slow and steady" through the draft. He spoke of growing the team over the course of a decade, which gives us a window into his thinking on Gabbert. Caldwell's Jaguars are not about the quick fix. Had Jacksonville hired another general manager, Gabbert might be bound for the street.

New head coach Gus Bradley has met with the quarterback and told The Times-Union, "(Gabbert's) been very impressive so far in our conversations."

The hazard is falling for offseason illusions. Tale after tale was told of Gabbert's growth last spring, but we didn't see enough of that on the field. Caldwell can make the argument that few second-year passers generate buzz, but this comes weeks after a string of rookie and sophomore-year quarterbacks -- Colin Kaepernick, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III -- fascinated the nation and led their teams to the postseason.

We highly doubt the Jaguars -- behind closed doors -- are content with what they've seen under center."

I have a sense of deja-vu. They were saying that about Gabbert last year.
Old 09.02.2013, 08:38 PM
All Pro

More of the same then. Brilliant.

I realize the choice of QB in the draft is poor and you very rarely get your franchise QB through free agency but surely this is too early to be committing to someone.

I would have been much more enthused if Caldwell/Bradley had said every spot on the depth chart is up for grabs and players have to earn it through training camp, pre-season etc.
Old 09.02.2013, 11:52 PM
Pro Bowler

Woo hoo, great news

I am pleased with this news. If he doesn't work out we take Bridgewater next year (if he enters draft). I have confidence he will show us he is our guy this year though!
Old 10.02.2013, 12:05 AM
Starter

I don't have any problem with this at all. He is still under contract anyway and I'm pretty sure he got it all up front so may as well give him a go. As there is nothing special in the draft its better to try and improve the many other areas that need attention and pick up a better QB next year who will have a better team around him
Old 10.02.2013, 07:12 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDV View Post
More of the same then. Brilliant.

I realize the choice of QB in the draft is poor and you very rarely get your franchise QB through free agency but surely this is too early to be committing to someone.

I would have been much more enthused if Caldwell/Bradley had said every spot on the depth chart is up for grabs and players have to earn it through training camp, pre-season etc.
This!!!

I can't understand why any Jags fan would be behind this decision.
Old 10.02.2013, 08:28 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
This!!!

I can't understand why any Jags fan would be behind this decision.
It's not like he has been told he doesn't have to earn it. They obviously believe that the options at QB this year are no better than what they already have.

They probably want to give him a chance to show what he has under them and feel if they draft a QB this year they will not be able to give both a fair chance this season!

Caldwell has already said it is a rebuild which will take a couple of years so although QB is the most important position, we do not want to be drafting one every year. We have other needs which can be dealt with this year.

If Gabbert has another bad year he will have had it and we can move on to someone else. Also, if it means BG has had a bad year. The Jaguars will have had a bad year, resulting in another high pick next year (for a QB).
Old 10.02.2013, 12:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Caldwell has made it clear that he wants to build through the draft so I have no problem with this decision. Henne isn't good enough, we all know that. Gabbert did show signs of improvement but obviously not as much as we had hoped. I still believe he can be a good NFL quarterback without ever being a 'franchise' QB.

I still think we'll draft a QB in the third/fourth round and see how they pan out and I have no problems with that.

If we can draft a couple of offensive linemen and/or pick up one in free agency, that will help Gabbert a lot. No QB is going to be successful when he's getting hit 20 times a game!
Old 10.02.2013, 09:09 PM
Team Captain

I'm not surprised and I support the decision, not because I'm a big Gabbert fan but the big question is who can you get who is better than him, doesn't seem to be one in free agency or the draft, so might as well keep him and perhaps he will surprise us, my prediction is he wont be our starting QB come the wembley game though
Old 11.02.2013, 06:17 PM
All Pro

Gabbert showed at least some progress last year.

In this years draft there is no sure fire QBs that can start straight away.
I think this is a clever move by Caldwell. He can see that the class this year isn't very good, and rather than his first big move as GM be a QB this year, hes going to stick with Gabbert. Its a cant lose for him personally. If Gabbert turns out good then he was right not to select a QB, and if Gabbert sucks hes got the opportunity to draft someone like Bridgewater or possibly Manziel next year. He can then bin Gabbert and point to the fact he wasn't part of the process that seen the Jags draft him.
Old 16.02.2013, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to GMcLeod

If we take Khan's comments about wanting to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville and use the 'UK home games' to market the team towards the Brits that flock to Florida every year at face value, then he's looking long-term. If that's the case off the field then it'll be the case on the field, and Bradley will have a rebuilding job on his hands for a few years. No point in getting another QB just for the sake of it if he's not going to be better than Gabbert, not without at least giving him a chance under Bradley.