Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

Sponsored Links

Old 24.04.2005, 02:09 AM
All Pro

Default Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders

We don't appear to have an official Raiders thread in C2M's list, so I thought I would do the christening honours.

How 'bout dem Raiders?

Finally beginning to draft sensibly for almost 2 years in a row. This year, top 2 picks have been CBs and 4th pick is an ILB. A QB (3rd pick) isn't so bad, gives him a little time to develop behind Collins (ever noticed how Gannon gets no press these days?); although Collins potentially has another 5 years left. There was that moment when we traded up in the 1st (with Seattle) where it looked possible we'd be taking Rodgers. Not a bad pick in itself, but certainly not filling current need positions.

The CBs - Fabian Washington and Stanford Routt - are both unsurprisingly fast. Puts a lot of pressure on Charles Woodson given that he only signed a 1-year tender.

It's appearing to have been a good offseason this year.

BBS
Sponsored Links
Old 24.04.2005, 03:26 AM
All Pro

Default Re:Holy Toledo ... How 'bout dem Raiders

They must be having one of the best off-seasons in recent history. Everything they have done so far from free agency to the Moss trade to draft trading and now the draft itself absoloutely reeks of class. Bloody stinks of it!
Old 24.04.2005, 08:42 AM
All Pro

Yep, it's been a good offseason. Still a bit worried about linebacker though.
Old 24.04.2005, 08:51 AM
All Pro

Although I was disappointed that Barret Ruud wasn't available in the second round
Old 24.04.2005, 11:59 AM
MVP

Send a message via MSN to Bongo46

I really like the Andrew Walter pick. Its time for them to get rid of Gruden's WCO QB's Gannon and Tuisosopo and get guys on their roster who suit the vertical game and I think Walter can be the man once Collins is done for them. Assuming of Course by the time this happens Norv Turner is still in charge.
Old 24.04.2005, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

I personally think the start of the Raiders draft stinks. They took 2 corners with consecutive picks (to pair with the bust from 2 years ago) both of whom are real speedsters but I can't see either living up to their potential. Washington has a chance but I really feel Routt was a huge reach and will bust. Walter was a decent pick in the situation but I think the best pick was Morisson. I'm gutted we'll have to play him twice a year.

As for their off-season overall I think someone should tell Al if running the 3-4 you need something called LBs. Moss was a decent trade but I wouldn't have wanted him on the Chargers.
Old 24.04.2005, 12:33 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to danguardace

AFC West look really tough this. all four teams look capable of reaching the post-season.
Old 24.04.2005, 01:03 PM
Pro Bowler

I wasn't too impressed with the Raiders' draft either, I don't understand why they traded up to get that corner.
I'm not a Walter fan but that could be because I am a WildCats fan ( ;D) so I've probably got clouded judgement on that pick.
Old 24.04.2005, 01:08 PM

Way I see the AFC West is that it's the Chargers for the taking with the Chiefs in close company in a dog fight for a Wildcard. The Broncos IMO are toast, they haven't IMO got the right personnel to run the 3-4 and Oakland just have absolutely nothing on defense. Charles Woodson is past it and just plain pap, and Fabian Washington isn't gonna help their pass rush or run defense up front.

You saw in that draft Al's love affair with speed, taking that guy out of University of Houston early in round 2.

Only question I'd ask of the chiefs is what defense their running? I thought I'd heard they were running the 3-4, but I haven't really seen the personnel shanges on the DL for this to be capable.
Old 24.04.2005, 01:16 PM
All Pro

Lack of a real pass-rush still concerns me. I know everyone else in the Division should be worried about pass-rushing against Oakland considering the Moss signing, but you still need somebody to get after the QB, especially if you stick with the 3-4 defense.

Then again, if Warren Sapp played like he was meant to it wouldn't be an issue :-\