A messge to all Saints fans - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New Orleans Saints

Old 22.03.2012, 01:31 PM
Starter

Default A messge to all Saints fans

Yes, what certain memebers of the Saints did was wrong and they deserved to be punished. But does the punishment fit the crime? Absolutely no way.

So I'm going to boycott all non-Saints NFL related stuff from today.

I'm not going to renew my Gamepass subscription - there are other ways of watching every Saints game.
I'm not going to go to the Wembley / IS game ever again.
I'm not going to buy any NFL-branded gear (was thinking about getting a new Nike Brees jersey, but not gonna bother now)
I'm not going to read ESPN, nfl.com, CBS sports, Fox sports, PFT, SI, etc etc. I don't give a **** about the rest of the league now, so I can get my Saints info from saintsreport.com and other Saints-related sites.

Dictator Goodell is a control freak and is gradually ruining the game. How he can hand out such harsh penalties when other teams have done similar things in the past and not been punished is beyond me.

Goodell must go. plain and simple.

I expect some people will think this is childish, but hey you're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to mine.

So I would like to suggest that other Saints fans boycott the NFL as I plan to do.
Old 22.03.2012, 01:45 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan29 View Post
Yes, what certain memebers of the Saints did was wrong and they deserved to be punished. But does the punishment fit the crime? Absolutely no way.

So I'm going to boycott all non-Saints NFL related stuff from today.

I'm not going to renew my Gamepass subscription - there are other ways of watching every Saints game.
I'm not going to go to the Wembley / IS game ever again.
I'm not going to buy any NFL-branded gear (was thinking about getting a new Nike Brees jersey, but not gonna bother now)
I'm not going to read ESPN, nfl.com, CBS sports, Fox sports, PFT, SI, etc etc. I don't give a **** about the rest of the league now, so I can get my Saints info from saintsreport.com and other Saints-related sites.

Dictator Goodell is a control freak and is gradually ruining the game. How he can hand out such harsh penalties when other teams have done similar things in the past and not been punished is beyond me.

Goodell must go. plain and simple.

I expect some people will think this is childish, but hey you're entitled to your opinion. Just as I'm entitled to mine.

So I would like to suggest that other Saints fans boycott the NFL as I plan to do.
well done. see you next year.
Old 22.03.2012, 02:02 PM
Pro Bowler

Grow a pair you child.
Old 22.03.2012, 08:54 PM
Pro Bowler

SaintsFan29 I can understand how you feel, but you're looking at this all wrong. Now is the time our team needs our support the most.

I'm going to be renewing my GamePass subscription next season because 1) I F'N hate Sky! And 2) I love my Saints, and come hell or high water I'll put down my money to watch my team every week, Sure I'm annoyed about Goodell's decision (although that's more about letting WiIliams and other teams off too lightly than anything else!) but my team mean too much to me for not paying to watch to be an option.

I won't be going to the IS game this year either, but that's just because I hate Brady and it'll be a walkover. If the game is a great one then I'm happy to pay to go. It's important that we push for more NFL events here, not less, or we as a country will become even more marginalised in relation to the game we love.

Providing they're still playing for us at the start of the season I'll be in a new Graham or Sproles jersey. Showing our colours is important, and the best way we have of giving the finger to everyone complaining that we didn't get hit hard enough.

I understand you frustration, but now is the time for unity and support of our Saints. Don't let the ******* commissioner grind you down.
Old 23.03.2012, 05:26 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_walrus View Post
SaintsFan29 I can understand how you feel, but you're looking at this all wrong. Now is the time our team needs our support the most.

I'm going to be renewing my GamePass subscription next season because 1) I F'N hate Sky! And 2) I love my Saints, and come hell or high water I'll put down my money to watch my team every week, Sure I'm annoyed about Goodell's decision (although that's more about letting WiIliams and other teams off too lightly than anything else!) but my team mean too much to me for not paying to watch to be an option.

I won't be going to the IS game this year either, but that's just because I hate Brady and it'll be a walkover. If the game is a great one then I'm happy to pay to go. It's important that we push for more NFL events here, not less, or we as a country will become even more marginalised in relation to the game we love.

Providing they're still playing for us at the start of the season I'll be in a new Graham or Sproles jersey. Showing our colours is important, and the best way we have of giving the finger to everyone complaining that we didn't get hit hard enough.

I understand you frustration, but now is the time for unity and support of our Saints. Don't let the ******* commissioner grind you down.
Well said! I'm with you dude!
Old 23.03.2012, 07:01 PM
MVP

Lol really? It was clear it was known about by a lot of people in the organisation. Anyone playing innocent is just lying to save their own skin. Only reason fans have to be bitter is that the Saints weren't the only ones doing this stuff and you are the ones being made the example of because someone leaked information. Want a reason to be really bitter go back to the days you were the Aints . You know before you had a run of dominance capped off by a Superbowl back when you went decades between playoff wins. Saints fans have had the good life it?s not like this have tarnished it just put a obstacle in the way of future success. Harsh you lose your headcoach but it's just for one season.
Old 23.03.2012, 07:03 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan29 View Post
Stuff
You're joking right? I doubt the NFL will miss your money much, and I doubt many other people will boycott anything to do with the NFL just because of your reactions.

Goodell was well within his rights to ban Payton, and the others, and punish the franchise (draft picks etc). The defense were being paid extra to end peoples careers. Don't think it was right?

Did you not watch the 2009 game versus the Vikings? Those hits on Favre were unacceptable. I'll always remember that game - I remember Favre when he played the broncos in superbowl 32 (the first game I watched) and for someone to try and destroy his career (and possibly his way of life after football) for $10,000 is horrendous. Spectators were horried by some of the tackles / hits...

The players are lucky he can't take their superbowl rings off them, as after all this has come out - I don't think they deserve them. You might be the champs on paper, but definitely not the "wholesome" team that everyone thought you were before this.

How is Goodell ruining the game by trying to protect the players? The NFL is being sued all the time for guys with head injuries now, why shouldn't he ban people who were trying to end other players careers on purpose?

If you aren't good enough to win without cheating, you aren't good enough to win, and don't deserve the respect of the other teams.

Personally, I think you guys got off lightly.
Old 23.03.2012, 07:08 PM
All Pro

Right, that's it, the NFL might as well shut up shop right now.
Old 24.03.2012, 03:32 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix492 View Post
You're joking right? I doubt the NFL will miss your money much, and I doubt many other people will boycott anything to do with the NFL just because of your reactions.

Goodell was well within his rights to ban Payton, and the others, and punish the franchise (draft picks etc). The defense were being paid extra to end peoples careers. Don't think it was right?

Did you not watch the 2009 game versus the Vikings? Those hits on Favre were unacceptable. I'll always remember that game - I remember Favre when he played the broncos in superbowl 32 (the first game I watched) and for someone to try and destroy his career (and possibly his way of life after football) for $10,000 is horrendous. Spectators were horried by some of the tackles / hits...

The players are lucky he can't take their superbowl rings off them, as after all this has come out - I don't think they deserve them. You might be the champs on paper, but definitely not the "wholesome" team that everyone thought you were before this.

How is Goodell ruining the game by trying to protect the players? The NFL is being sued all the time for guys with head injuries now, why shouldn't he ban people who were trying to end other players careers on purpose?

If you aren't good enough to win without cheating, you aren't good enough to win, and don't deserve the respect of the other teams.

Personally, I think you guys got off lightly.
One of the most uneducated posts i've seen on the board.

Going after the QB is a perfectly legitimate play in any playbook, ever heard of a blitz? Going after a QB extra hard is also completely legal, the hall of fame is full of players who made their name doing this. How playing hard can be seen as cheating is just laughable.

What is wrong is offering a financial bonus for any play, and i agree its wrong to single out an individual and punishments should be levied. However it's not cheating, filming and knowing the other teams play calls is cheating. Hitting hard isn't.

I've watched the 2009 game against the Vikings many times. It's a masterclass in how to run a defence. Were there a few late hits?, yes and the ones that were late got flagged (as is the referees job). The defensive plan was go about disrupting Brett Favre pure an simple, to make him nervous at every snap.

In Brett Favres own words "those guys were just doing there job", if his own O'line had done their job there wouldn't have been a problem, but the changing schemes had them on a backfoot throughout the game where they didn't know what was coming next.

I'll add that the team was rightly punished for allowing the bounty system to go ahead. But i'm pretty sure that the QB blitz will remain in football for a long time.
Old 24.03.2012, 03:47 PM
Rookie

Have to applaud Goddell. Said he spoke at length to Sean Peyton twice in the last couple of weeks, he exchanged e-mails where bountys were mentioned, HE KNEW. "If you're going to lie to my face, on more than one occasion, that is almost as unforgiveable as the crime itself. So watch me make an example of you".

Another annoying thing about this: people throwing about the word snitch and not really getting the true 'implication' of the word. A snitch is an enemy. If he's the enemy, then what he reported should have never been told? Which means in all likelihood it isn't limited to the Saints?