Draft 2016 - Page 12 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 29.04.2016, 03:25 AM
Hall of Fame

It's not as if the Cowboys needed anything to bring more hype and glamour to the franchise anyway, but drafting a RB at 4 will certainly to that!

The sight of Elliott '21' heading into the endzone is going to be a brilliant sight from now on. Lets run the football!
Old 29.04.2016, 08:23 AM
Starter

Well I'm going to go against the grain and say I'm disappointed. I would much rather have had Ramsey. I think He will be a great back but there were more pressing needs. Here's some things I noticed.

1) Watching the War Room Cam you could tell the whole room knew they were drafting Elliot, once the coverage started.

2) I felt at the Press Conference on Monday JG over-praised Ramsey and SJ under-praised EE. That's why I thought it was going to be EE.

3) When on the clock the Cowboys fielded an offer from the Ravens. It was to move back to 6 but the Ravens wanted EE. Would have missed on both EE and JR if taken

4) Biggest disappointment-missing out on Paxton Lynch. Sounds like the Seahawks didn't keep the Cowboys in the loop as they would have sweetened the pot. Credit to the Cowboys for trying, shame on the Seahawks for not listening!
Old 29.04.2016, 08:29 AM
Starter

Just listening to SJ would have been a 2nd round pick for Lynch. What a shame as I don't think the Cowboys are as high on the remaining QBs. I think we will draft a QB but not now at #34. Maybe 4th round (Prescot?)
Old 29.04.2016, 08:40 AM
Starter

Looks like the Cowboys were prepared to give up their 2nd and 3rd round picks to get Lynch. That would have been no's 34 and 67. (source Todd Archer)

The Broncos gave up 31 and 94.

Was Cowboys offer better?
Old 29.04.2016, 09:22 AM
Team Captain

So its Elliott we take first, well that's the offense just about sorted, is it defense the rest of the way, DE (Dodd, Correa, Ogbah) or DB (Alexander) with the next pick I presume or somebody else guys.
Old 29.04.2016, 09:48 AM
Hall of Fame

I'm glad we didn't make a trade for Lynch, especially if the cost was 34 + 67. It does show though that they are serious about a QB in this draft, I just hope they steer clear until pick 135 now though or even later.

Just like pick no.4 I'm sure they'd like to shuffle back a couple of spots from no.34 and add another pick, especially with several names of interest still on the board. I think they sit and pick a guy on defence though, plenty of DT's on the board, plus a few wild cards.

Sit and grab a good guy at 34 then look to pick up picks by trading back from 67 if they really want to.
Old 29.04.2016, 10:10 AM
Starter

I think the Cowboys realise that their best bet to find Romo's replacement is with a high pick. I don't think they will pick a QB today but will do so on Day 3. The chances of that QB becoming Romo's replacement and a franchise QB is probably less than 25%.

I think we now have to copy the model of the Broncos, Packers, Patriots etc.
Hopefully over the next 3 drafts we will be picking in the mid to late 20's. We will need to have a QB fall into our laps like Lynch has for the Broncos. We need a situation where we don't have to give much to move up. What we don't want is a situation where we have to give up future #1's to move up to take a QB. The top teams never do this.

I think what is clear is that the Cowboys had Lynch rated high on their board. I think they probably thought he would be gone before say pick #20. Sounds like they spoke to multiple teams to move up but no takers when SJ was working the phones. I wonder if the Cowboys should have done more work on a deal like this before the draft (perhaps they did).

What are your thoughts on Lynch as a player?

Last edited by Majicman; 29.04.2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 29.04.2016, 10:31 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post
I think the Cowboys realise that their best bet to find Romo's replacement is with a high pick. I don't think they will pick a QB today but will do so on Day 3. The chances of that QB becoming Romo's replacement and a franchise QB is probably less than 25%.

Hopefully over the next 3 drafts we will be picking in the mid to late 20's. We will need to have a QB fall into our laps like Lynch has for the Broncos. We need a situation where we don't have to give much to move up. What we don't want is a situation where we have to give up future #1's to move up to take a QB. The top teams never do this.

I think what is clear is that the Cowboys had Lynch rated high on their board. I think they probably thought he would be gone before say pick #20. Sounds like they spoke to multiple teams to move up but no takers when SJ was working the phones. I wonder if the Cowboys should have done more work on a deal like this before the draft (perhaps they did).

I can see Jerry being willing to give up a future 1st round pick next year or the year after for a QB, that's why drafting a QB before pick 135 is possibly a waste.

Next years draft is loaded with RB's, but the Cowboys now have their RB in place, so that could push a QB down the board a little? 3 or 4 edge rushers could go high next year too.

Lynch is a tough one. He's 6'7 so that more than checks the size box. He's mobile too which everyone likes. In the Memphis offence though a lot of his passes were short, screens, slants, etc. He often had a WR open early, in the NFL that will be different and he might need time to adjust. His arm strength is fine, but that offence meant Lynch never had to show it consistently. I saw him get lazy on some of the easy throws too at times. People seem to think he has the best upside of any QB in the draft, and Bryan Broaddus certainly likes him. For me though I'd be worried that I haven't seen him do a lot, whereas Goff showed much more on tape imo.
Old 29.04.2016, 10:34 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicman View Post

I've only seen Lynch 3 or 4 times, but have been disappointed in what I saw, he obviously has played well sometimes just not when I was watching.
Old 29.04.2016, 10:41 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I can see Jerry being willing to give up a future 1st round pick next year or the year after for a QB, that's why drafting a QB before pick 135 is possibly a waste.
I hope the days of doing things like that are gone. The good teams just don't do it. It's not how you build long-term. I think if we were that high on Lynch we should have got him. Best scenario all along for me was to trade down to mid-1st, pick Lynch and then DEF in 2nd round. RB could have waited...

Tags
draft 2016 , nfluk