Jimmy Garoppolo - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 10.02.2017, 03:58 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz View Post
Surprised Brock Osweiler's name hasn't been mentioned yet. A Superbowl winning team and a backup Quarterback who has played in the season, this sounds like a familiar story, and that story didn't turn out too well last time.
Why trade for a guy who was the worst starting QB in the league last season, and who the year before was benched for a version of Manning whose throws barely reached the sidelines? The league knows what Osweiler is, and that's garbage.

He is basically untradeable as no one would touch his contact and Osweiler has no incentive to reduce it. No one would pay him close to the money he is due in Houston
Sponsored Links
Old 10.02.2017, 04:03 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
Why trade for a guy who was the worst starting QB in the league last season, and who the year before was benched for a version of Manning whose throws barely reached the sidelines? The league knows what Osweiler is, and that's garbage.

He is basically untradeable as no one would touch his contact and Osweiler has no incentive to reduce it. No one would pay him close to the money he is due in Houston
I'm assuming he was pointing out buyer beware?
Old 10.02.2017, 05:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus corax View Post
Heard a few people in the media saying it would be a good idea for a team to flip New England a 1st round pick to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo.

Really?

That's way too rich for my blood. I don't think Garoppolo has shown anything like enough to make me part with a 1st round pick for him. One of the teams that have inevitably been suggested has been Cleveland. If I was a Browns fan, and they gave up one of their two first round picks to get Garoppolo, I would be getting that 'oh no, not again' feeling.

Anyone else think Jimmy G is worth that much?
according to the "nfl insiders" the Bears/49ers/Browns/Texans have all shown interest in Jimmy.The patriots also have no reason to let him go if teams dont meet whatever there asking price is.guess we will see how desperate some teams are between now and the draft.

if you look at the QB market there's Tyrod Taylor if he gets released or Mike Glennon who is a free agent but according to Shefter a few weeks back is wanting a decent payday that may put some teams off.there are veterans like McCown/Fitzpatrick and then Romo/Cutler.are the other options for needy teams.

Kyle Shanahan is suppose to have also had Jimmy as the 2nd best QB in the 2014 draft after Derek Carr so teams liked him coming out of college and now he's had 3 years under Belichick.
Old 10.02.2017, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
according to the "nfl insiders" the Bears/49ers/Browns/Texans have all shown interest in Jimmy.The patriots also have no reason to let him go if teams dont meet whatever there asking price is.guess we will see how desperate some teams are between now and the draft.

if you look at the QB market there's Tyrod Taylor if he gets released or Mike Glennon who is a free agent but according to Shefter a few weeks back is wanting a decent payday that may put some teams off.there are veterans like McCown/Fitzpatrick and then Romo/Cutler.are the other options for needy teams.

Kyle Shanahan is suppose to have also had Jimmy as the 2nd best QB in the 2014 draft after Derek Carr so teams liked him coming out of college and now he's had 3 years under Belichick.
Shanahan has also been linked with bringing Matt Schaub to San Francisco...
Old 10.02.2017, 06:01 PM
MVP

I'm in the minority, but I think the Pats may get that 1st they covet.

As each season passes and rules are tweaked it's becoming more and more a passing league, you need a QB who is at least 'Good' to maintain a challenge of any sorts - You could argue that the Broncos went against the grain a year ago with a washed up Peyton/Brock combo, although Osweiller was solid for a large part.

If the opportunity comes that you have a shot at a starting calibre NFL QB, then teams are going to roll the dice, even more so if they have the ammo like say somebody like the Browns.

I get what people say about small sample size, although I'm buying less the notion that because he's playing in the Pats system, he looks better than he is, but he's got more experience than any player ever to come out of college, nobody blinks when teams throw firsts at QB's year in year out. There are so many busts over the years.

It's so critical to have a QB these days, it may well be that teams bite on Jimmy partly through fear of kicking themselves 2 or 3 years from now.
Old 10.02.2017, 06:35 PM
All Pro

Getting him on his rookie contract to evaluate him for a season is a huge plus in any trade deal. Not getting stuck with a massive long contract as said is very good news.

A team high up like the bears could of course give up the 3rd pick and get garopolo plus the pats 2nd, that would start to look a deal worth making.
Old 10.02.2017, 07:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post

As Payton3434 mentioned below the point is more that there was a similar story last season and the outcome of that Osweiler experiment is well known.
Old 10.02.2017, 10:42 PM
Hall of Fame

I could see a deal being swung that involved conditional picks from the 2018 draft tbh. That way a team wouldn't be 'over paying' now, and the Pats would potentially get good value from the deal in the future if Jimmy G proves a success. Perhaps a 2nd this year, and a 2nd next year depending on how things pan out. Unlikely that a team in the top 10 gives up a 1st round pick this year, so then it's about putting a different package together.

If this draft class is lacking in starting QB's, as the media seem to suggest, then trading for a 25 year old Garropolo would seem to make sense. The knock on him in 2014 was perhaps he didn't have the strongest of arms, so would cold weather teams be wary of that (Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo). I know he's been in NE but it seems like his skill set would suit some systems/conditions better than others.
Old 12.02.2017, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
From the limited sample size I've seen I think he is. He's certainly better than the QB prospects in this draft class.

He was a 2nd round pick when drafted and has got better. I know he only played six quarters but he was really damn good. Quick release, good footwork and he's smart. Was reading the blitz against Arizona very well, and there's plays against Miami where he holds the safety with his eyes and goes back to hit a receiver (the Marty Bennett touchdown in particular). All good traits, but obviously the issue is he hasn't had an extended period of time to prove it.

I think the contract helps a trading team - if he sucks you're not tied to him for multiple years (hey Brock!) but if he is as good as advertised then you can lock him down mid season or franchise him.

Pats also have no need to trade him. He is under contract next year extremely cheaply, and who knows Brady could fall off a cliff etc

I think all those factors mean the Pats have a strong hand, there's a lot of demand for QBs - I'd be surprised if they didn't get a 1st rounder.
They need to move him this year. He'll be a free agent next year. No team is motivated to buy since Jimmy can just come to them in free agency.

Sam Bradford and the Vikings were a unique situation with a preseason superbowl contender's starting QB going down the week before the season. Bradford had time to learn the playbook and acclimate himself over the season. This is by far the best time to get the best available deal for Garoppolo. Unless someone's starter QB goes down a week before the season. Otherwise they'll lose Garoppolo for nothing more than a compensatory 3rd or 4th round draft pick when he leaves for free agency.

Besides that, Brady intends to play for 3-5 more years. When it's time to raise the curtains on his career I'm sure Brady will let management know so they can begin searching for another QB if they believe Brissett isn't the guy. There's simply no room for Garoppolo, especially with him being due a major raise.

Last edited by ChibaMarines; 12.02.2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12.02.2017, 10:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
Good point but the big difference is that any team trading for Jimmy G will get him with 1 year left on his rookie deal so if he does play and turns out to be another Brock then they can just let him leave without any cap issues.think his $1m cap number in 2017 actually pushes up his trade value when you compare him to trading for say Romo or Cutler who have base salaries of over $15m for 2017.
Any trade for Garoppolo will almost assuredly be accompanied by a contract extension.

#1 Not extending him shows no kind of faith in him which will be an annoyance to Garoppolo.

#2 He hits the free agency market the next season and can put you in a bind if he felt like it.

#3 You risk him playing lights out and now have to pay him lights out money instead of the previous price.

Under a microscope players like Osweiler, Kaepernick, Taylor really don't have that bad of contracts. It's bad in Osweiler's case because he's a terrible player, BUT the guaranteed money will be paid off after next season so if he stinks again the Texans can move on. Taylor and Kaepernick are on similar deals, and I assume Garoppolo will probably get something in the area code of 4-5 years with the guaranteed money paid in 2 years. It sucks if you get a lemon, but 2 years of 30 million isn't gonna kill a team like the Browns, 49ers , or Bears if Garoppolo sucks. If he works out on the otherhand you get good value especially with how often the cap rises.

Last edited by ChibaMarines; 12.02.2017 at 11:09 AM.