Browns take Garrett? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 11.02.2017, 03:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I can imagine them trading out if an offer is there, and given you have picks 2,3 and 6 currently needing QBs (although I suspect at least 1 will get a FA like Glennon), you could conceivably see someone jumping up. Even Chicago from 3 if they fall in love with one.

But staying put, yes I think you take Garrett unless you completely fall for one of the QBs. With Garrett you start turning that front 7 into a solid unit, with the rest of last year draft picks having another year of experience. The one surprise I could see, is if the Browns decide to throw a curveball and decide someone like Lattimore is worth giving their Secondary a star, in that division it isnt a crazy idea to be able to stand toe to toe with the big QBs.

But right now, I think they take Garrett
I suppose pass rush or DB combats the opposing QB. It's a deep draft for both pass rushers and DB's by all accounts, so they could go Garrett at 1 then come back for the best DB at 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Of the 2 A&M games I've watched back so far I've not particularly rated him I must say. Been a lot more impressed by Allen, the Bama DT. But everyone says he will go no1. I don't think the Browns will take a QB this high. I would build up the lines first. Though unfortunately for Cleveland there's no OL in the top ten ranked this year. I definitely think the order to do it on offense if you can is line first, then QB, then receiver. And of course a great running game both helps a new QB but it needs a line to work. This is where the Rams have gone wrong and the Cowboys have done it right - the line makes it all happen.
He did struggle with ankle issues this season. I watched a few games myself, and I agree, I didn't see someone that lives up the hype. That said I've seen flashes that do separate him from the bunch.

As for building lines, the Browns did try that approach. Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Alex Mack, Mitchell Schwartz - that's quite an investment. Mack and Schwartz have gone on to be important parts of other lines. Putting all the pieces together in the right 'window' is a tough thing to do. The Browns haven't really had too many play makers, now they've got Coleman, Pryor and Barnridge they've got to rebuild their line again........and still find the right QB.
Sponsored Links
Old 11.02.2017, 09:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post

He did struggle with ankle issues this season. I watched a few games myself, and I agree, I didn't see someone that lives up the hype. That said I've seen flashes that do separate him from the bunch.
One of the games I watched was the Music City Bowl from the 2015 season. Watched edge rushers and came out of that thinking Devonte Fields of Louisville was more impressive. He must have had a bad 2016 as he's not even in many top 100s now... I know there are character concerns but he's not alone there.
Old 15.02.2017, 05:03 PM
MVP

I interpreted Garrett's comments as - PLEASE someone save me from playing in Cleveland.

Which would be understandable on some level but if I was a GM it would be a bit of a red flag for me and would probably make me look elsewhere, especially with such a high pick.
Old 16.02.2017, 12:41 AM
All Pro

Most players dont want to go to a currently bad team, we all know that.

Except most players in Garrett's position aren't stupid enough to air those views. Am sure it wont cost him money, and it's only a small thing, but it's not indicative of a smart person.
Old 16.02.2017, 06:51 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobjoylove View Post
Most players dont want to go to a currently bad team, we all know that.

Except most players in Garrett's position aren't stupid enough to air those views. Am sure it wont cost him money, and it's only a small thing, but it's not indicative of a smart person.
This was a tongue in cheek spoof wasn't it?

Anyway, I think the Browns would be insane not to draft Watson with the first pick, they need a franchise QB, Watson is a bona fide winner. He is just what that franchise needs.
Getting a good pass rusher would be nice, but how much good has having arguably the best LT in football done?

The championship teams QBs
Brady HOF
Ryan league MVP
Rodgers HOF
Rothlesberger possible HOF

Who were the pass rushers and LTs again?

The Browns take Watson and they become instantly better.

IMO of course but I'm right :-)
Old 17.02.2017, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul II View Post
This was a tongue in cheek spoof wasn't it?

Anyway, I think the Browns would be insane not to draft Watson with the first pick, they need a franchise QB, Watson is a bona fide winner. He is just what that franchise needs.
Getting a good pass rusher would be nice, but how much good has having arguably the best LT in football done?

The championship teams QBs
Brady HOF
Ryan league MVP
Rodgers HOF
Rothlesberger possible HOF

Who were the pass rushers and LTs again?

The Browns take Watson and they become instantly better.

IMO of course but I'm right :-)
Of course, if you draft an elite QB you get better. But there's not many of those.

Watson has an awful lot of question makers. I'll not be shocked if he goes in Round 2. He might be a great QB. But most scouts have him ranked anywhere between 2-4 of the QBs in this class. And we've seen it before with Tebow, Troy Smith and in many others. That having great intangibles and success in college does not translate to the NFL unless you have good mechanics, pocket intelligence, accuracy and above all consistency. All of which are areas of concern with Watson.

Also, I think it's worth noting that Big Ben's Super Bowl wins were in spite of him, not because of him. He'd be the poster boy for why a stout defence can give you a chance. It's flipped in his late career where his passing ability really emerged. But you can win with great D.

Nevertheless, Cleveland need a QB. They'll likely consider one. But I think Garrett is by far the best prospect in this draft. I will guess they take him at one. Watson or Mahomes will very likely be there at 12 if they like either of those guys.