Los Angeles Chargers Thread - Page 817 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 01.01.2018, 11:12 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
Not sure if I feel positive or negative about our season.

Probably both. After 4-12 and 5-11 seasons it's been great to see us win games and have something to cheer for right up to week 17 and after starting 0-4 too!!

I've seen some fans say we may as well have gone 3-13 but that's hard to consistently watch plus at some point you want to see your high draft picks pay off and the team start to improve? Hard to cheer your team to consistently lose right? Clear positives heading into next year.

But can't help think we've blown a shot. If you break losses down into "deserved, could've won & shouldve won" we should have won 2.

1 more win gets us a wildcard, 2 more and we are the 3 seed. Never any guarentees going into the next year so feels a little like a wasted year.

We were pretty healthy this year too. That is rare.
I wonder if a healthy Jason Verrett and Forrest Lamp help you find that extra win or two? Perhaps Verrett's absence is lessened by what else you have on defence, but even though he's a rookie Lamp surely would have been an upgrade somewhere along your offensive line.

You've certainly got some reason's for optimism moving forward though, Bosa, Ingram, your secondary, etc.

How many more years do you think Phillip Rivers plays? (and continue to produce). He's 'only' 36.
Sponsored Links
Old 01.01.2018, 11:31 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I wonder if a healthy Jason Verrett and Forrest Lamp help you find that extra win or two? Perhaps Verrett's absence is lessened by what else you have on defence, but even though he's a rookie Lamp surely would have been an upgrade somewhere along your offensive line.

You've certainly got some reason's for optimism moving forward though, Bosa, Ingram, your secondary, etc.

How many more years do you think Phillip Rivers plays? (and continue to produce). He's 'only' 36.
There's no doubt a healthy Verrett is an addition tonthis defence but a healthy Verrett is like a 4 leaf clover. I'm not sure it exists and to be fair Trevor Williams played very well this year. He's a rookie I believe so was excellent all things considered. With another Rookie Desmond King (who was also very good) playing the slot, you could argue Verrett being healthy stunts both the aforementioned players growth. We now know what they can do.

I'd probably bring verrett back but has to be a team friendly deal.

But look, we should have beaten the Dolphins and Jags irrespective of injuries to any players. We blew those 2 games, I don't think Verrett being healthy turns those losses into wins.

The oline was pretty good this year. The other Rookie Feeney was a clear upgrade on Slauson and Okung was a rock at LT. Be good to get lamp back next year and into the mix and can only help with the rotation and depth at the very least.

Bosa and Ingram were great. I felt like towards to end of the year teams doubled and tripled them both and their productions slipped. Imagine if the Chargers could add a stud DT up the middle? Can't double and triple them all!

Overall Rivers had a good year. Couple of horrible games (both against KC) but some excellent performances. Can only hope he keeps drinking from the fountain of youth and can play at a high level again next year
Old 01.01.2018, 11:40 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There's no doubt a healthy Verrett is an addition tonthis defence but a healthy Verrett is like a 4 leaf clover. I'm not sure it exists and to be fair Trevor Williams played very well this year. He's a rookie I believe so was excellent all things considered. With another Rookie Desmond King (who was also very good) playing the slot, you could argue Verrett being healthy stunts both the aforementioned players growth. We now know what they can do.

I'd probably bring verrett back but has to be a team friendly deal.

But look, we should have beaten the Dolphins and Jags irrespective of injuries to any players. We blew those 2 games, I don't think Verrett being healthy turns those losses into wins.

The oline was pretty good this year. The other Rookie Feeney was a clear upgrade on Slauson and Okung was a rock at LT. Be good to get lamp back next year and into the mix and can only help with the rotation and depth at the very least.

Bosa and Ingram were great. I felt like towards to end of the year teams doubled and tripled them both and their productions slipped. Imagine if the Chargers could add a stud DT up the middle? Can't double and triple them all!

Overall Rivers had a good year. Couple of horrible games (both against KC) but some excellent performances. Can only hope he keeps drinking from the fountain of youth and can play at a high level again next year
I was thinking the exact same thing when I mentioned Bosa and Ingram.

Guessing Lamp is your RG if Feeney played well at LG. I don't know, the Chargers with a soild interior O line. What's the world coming to!
Old 01.01.2018, 11:56 AM
MVP

Quote:

Guessing Lamp is your RG if Feeney played well at LG. I don't know, the Chargers with a soild interior O line. What's the world coming to!
About time really. Rivers has spent most of his career behind a shocking oline it would be nice to give him a solid line to finish up with, have one more run so to speak
Old 01.01.2018, 12:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
About time really. Rivers has spent most of his career behind a shocking oline it would be nice to give him a solid line to finish up with, have one more run so to speak
Aside from his throwing action, my endearing memory of Phillip Rivers when he finally calls it quits will be him battling to survive whilst under constant pressure. Making throws with defenders in his face, awkwardly scrambling around trying to buy time, or picking himself up off the floor and dusting himself down with a look of dismay on his face.

Like you say, he deserves some decent protection for once.
Old 01.01.2018, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

50,000 career passing yards for Rivers.
Old 01.01.2018, 08:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Aside from his throwing action, my endearing memory of Phillip Rivers when he finally calls it quits will be him battling to survive whilst under constant pressure. Making throws with defenders in his face, awkwardly scrambling around trying to buy time, or picking himself up off the floor and dusting himself down with a look of dismay on his face.

Like you say, he deserves some decent protection for once.
Hugely underrated by the masses in my opinion. Should be a HOF'er but not sure he gets there without a ring
Old 01.01.2018, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hugely underrated by the masses in my opinion. Should be a HOF'er but not sure he gets there without a ring
Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly. None of them won a ring. They're all in the HOF. Rivers deserves to join them in Canton.
Old 03.01.2018, 08:14 PM
All Pro

Quote:

The issue I have is that year on year on year I expect us to get a stud DTI'm the first, But we haven't had one since jamal Williams. I don't think that will change .

I fully expect us to get a wasted offensive tackle again. The only one worth getting is mcglinchley (sp) and he isnt gonna fall to us. We will panic and reach for a guard pretending to be a tackle as we always do
Old 04.01.2018, 01:07 PM
Starter

I see it as a very positive season considering new head coach and the relocation. Surely for free agents we would be an attractive proposition on an upward trajectory?

Need interior DL men big time. Mebane getting old, Liuget didn't play that well but I guess Philon did just fine.
Exterior we seem ok with Bosa/Ingram/McCain.
We need a linebacker to help Perryman out.
Absolutely stacked at corner with Hayward/Williams/King/Verrett. Could see Verrett traded.
Safety seems to be working as it is (hopefully resign Boston for a decent contract) but wouldn't be against a late round pick.

Draft a QB successor to Rivers.
Draft a running back and a wide receiver.
We should stick Lamp at right tackle if we can and draft a guard/centre as surely Slauson is off.
Consider a late round TE as Cumberland/McGrath wasn't up to much and Gates may/may not be staying. Will probably give him another year though...

Really feel like a few draft hits and one or two decent free agents away from a really good year.