New York Jets Thread - Page 781 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 03.01.2018, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

A way too early peek at some of the players we might target at #6, some of whom will undoubtedly be taken unless we trade up (which is a possibility):

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame

Bradley Chubb, DE/OLB North Carolina State

Arden Key, DE/OLB, LSU

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
Sponsored Links
Old 03.01.2018, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Browns, Giants and Broncos all picking ahead of the Jets and all four looking at QBs. Mock drafts will become a lot clearer once we know where Kirk Cousins will be playing in 2018.
Old 03.01.2018, 08:11 PM
All Pro

A fair list there Wayne. I can't see us going guard with the #6 pick. It's probably the most stable position we have on the line and its not really a premium pick position. Normally I'm happy with BPA but I really think the only defensive position we should be considering in round 1 is a genuine edge rusher this time. We have to get some real quality on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 03.01.2018, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
A fair list there Wayne. I can't see us going guard with the #6 pick. It's probably the most stable position we have on the line and its not really a premium pick position. Normally I'm happy with BPA but I really think the only defensive position we should be considering in round 1 is a genuine edge rusher this time. We have to get some real quality on the offensive side of the ball.
Think Nelson would be a considerable upgrade on what we have, but agree that it's unlikely we go that way. If we sign a QB in FA, I could see us considering Calvin Ridley (although #6 looks a bit high)...

Edge rusher has been a weakness for some time. However, Chubb probably doesn't drop that far and Key looks a bit of a risk. Had something of a lost season (mainly due to injuries) and there's no guarantee he would be effective as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL...

Last edited by wayne ellis; 03.01.2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03.01.2018, 09:18 PM
Starter

One of the top 4 qbs will be on the board when we pick, but as a previous post said, pick your poison.

I actually think the huge problem is the o line, so wouldn't grumble at Williams. If we massively upgrade the o line this off-season then I wonder if we might see hackenburg. A very big Part of me (hopes) the post above about him is right and they do see something in him. He can't be a flop if he hasn't been given the chance. (Unlike petty)
Old 08.01.2018, 04:47 PM
Starter

Could there be a split in priorities between the HC and GM in draft v FA??

Mac needs to show that we have a qb for the next 3-5 years at least, which could involve drafting someone and having a learning year. However, does Bowles need a win season more and might not be able to afford the time as much?? I wonder if the mutual answer is getting a QB in FA over a pot shot in the draft? Would then allow us to draft the BPA at 6 which could be another special pick. Interesting.
Old 08.01.2018, 08:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-e-t-s12 View Post
Could there be a split in priorities between the HC and GM in draft v FA??

Mac needs to show that we have a qb for the next 3-5 years at least, which could involve drafting someone and having a learning year. However, does Bowles need a win season more and might not be able to afford the time as much?? I wonder if the mutual answer is getting a QB in FA over a pot shot in the draft? Would then allow us to draft the BPA at 6 which could be another special pick. Interesting.
I'd rather hope that the purpose of the 2 year extensions both received was to tie them together at the hip metaphorically. Both succeed or fail together, so working together is essential.

We know that there's no playoff mandate for them next year but more signs of progress. If all things remained equal we were competitive into the 4th quarter most games so progress would be a minimum couple of extra wins. Things do not usually and likely will not in this case remain equal and the close season will determine what acceptable progress is. A first time starter at QB and maybe another 5-11 season would do it, providing there aren't blowouts and the team address some issues on field. A Cousins-type vet? At least 9 wins and no major FA misses or coaching mind farts might be more realistic I'd hope at least.
Old 10.01.2018, 04:38 PM
MVP

I am torn, I haven't watched much if any college this year - but I really feel with the teams above us in the draft that we shouldn't be taking a QB at 6... Im all for drafting up if we take a guy we are going to go all in on and stick with... and start with them - look round the league plenty of teams have drafted QBs and played them from week 1 and stuck with them.

I want us to identify our guy and go get him though.. not have a punt on the one that's left...

Watching other teams and highlights for almost every game this season it has proved to me more than ever our ability to draft and then appropriately select a depth chart and the 55 man roster is woeful. Especially when I see so many young RBs destroying teams - I love a good running back and this year I have been delighted to see so many really top running backs putting the running back in the league (pun intended).

I have been for last two years saying we should just take a Young(ish) FA with potential and see what happens - we have done the opposite and signed old dudes and its done OK compared to how I thought it would (at QB only) which makes me think what could have been...

Id be happy with taking on as starter many of the "Back-ups"/FA in the league this off-season - so many of them if you have the right playbook and roster round them could be winners.

I agree with the above if one go both should go and they should live or die together GM and HC.
Old 18.01.2018, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

We've fired OC John Morton, because the Jets are where continuity goes to die...

Unless Todd Haley's coming, and bringing Le'Veon Bell with him, this seems monumentally stupid. Morton got decent production out of a College level Offense, and constantly chopping and changing at OC is no good for anybody.

He wasn't perfect, and I've heard the gossip from "unnamed sources" suggesting why he was fired, but he was a clear upgrade over what we've had in recent years.

Also, if there really was friction between him and Bowles, why not dump him on Black Monday instead of waiting two and a half weeks?
Old 18.01.2018, 10:07 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
We've fired OC John Morton, because the Jets are where continuity goes to die...

Unless Todd Haley's coming, and bringing Le'Veon Bell with him, this seems monumentally stupid. Morton got decent production out of a College level Offense, and constantly chopping and changing at OC is no good for anybody.

He wasn't perfect, and I've heard the gossip from "unnamed sources" suggesting why he was fired, but he was a clear upgrade over what we've had in recent years.

Also, if there really was friction between him and Bowles, why not dump him on Black Monday instead of waiting two and a half weeks?
Never a dull day in Jetland!! Haley makes the only sense when it comes to timing. He has multiple ties back to Bowles and I think the Steeler brand of O is where Bowles wants to be (which begs the question, why hire guys who run spread and West Coast offences as OCs).

While the move looks like such as Jets thing to do, if the rumoured frictions and philosophical differences between the two are true, it is a necessary move too. Cimini also saying a lot of the players couldn't relate to Morton. It's not like Morton was stellar and there were plenty of 'did he really just do that' moments, not to mention timing issues with plays coming into the huddle.

My gut says Haley will be OC and we'll see Arians in camp and perhaps in season as some sort of offensive consultant - basically holding Todd's hands when it comes to thinking O rather than D.