Week 2. Texans @ Bengals. - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 15.09.2017, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

I've never really understood why the Bengals have stood by Marvin Lewis for so long tbh (13+ years). If he'd taken them to a Super Bowl or even a couple of Championship Games maybe, but they've never even won a Playoff game under him. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity...
Old 15.09.2017, 07:35 AM
MVP

I wonder if the Bengals could be the first team ever to go 0-16 without scoring a touchdown?
Old 15.09.2017, 08:09 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I've never really understood why the Bengals have stood by Marvin Lewis for so long tbh (13+ years). If he'd taken them to a Super Bowl or even a couple of Championship Games maybe, but they've never even won a Playoff game under him. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity...
He's like Wenger at Arsenal. Should have gone a long time ago. The problem is Marv and Browns relationship, best buddies. I remember one of our Hard knocks seasons touching on it. I remember when we had Bob Bratkowski as OC, he was absolutely DIRE, but he managed to stay on longer than he should have because of his ties with Brown.

When he got his extension the other year many raised an eyebrow (Me included). He's done a cracking job with us getting us to be playoff contenders 2009-2015 but could never take that next step.

We've had a full offseason to prep this O, and it literally looks like it's been thrown together in 5 minutes. We've had C issues that they continue to ignore, all because Alexander (O-line coach) likes Bodine and we traded up for him..

We're a franchise where we reward mediocrity.
Old 15.09.2017, 08:53 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBoy View Post
I never stay up for these games anyway as it is too late for us in UK with Job on a Friday morning. I will catch it on Friday afternoon probably, both Oline are horrendous, Both D are decent.

Houston are a team we seem to never be able to beat. Im going for a close loss for the Bengals 16 - 12. Ugly game.

Damn i was pretty close. a field goal on each side out.
Old 15.09.2017, 08:57 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonicolz View Post
He's like Wenger at Arsenal. Should have gone a long time ago. The problem is Marv and Browns relationship, best buddies. I remember one of our Hard knocks seasons touching on it. I remember when we had Bob Bratkowski as OC, he was absolutely DIRE, but he managed to stay on longer than he should have because of his ties with Brown.

When he got his extension the other year many raised an eyebrow (Me included). He's done a cracking job with us getting us to be playoff contenders 2009-2015 but could never take that next step.

We've had a full offseason to prep this O, and it literally looks like it's been thrown together in 5 minutes. We've had C issues that they continue to ignore, all because Alexander (O-line coach) likes Bodine and we traded up for him..

We're a franchise where we reward mediocrity.
There was a reason Zampese was a QB coach for so long. he is trash. Piano man (Paul Alexander) has been trash for years and Marvin is just a lame duck bad head coach.
Old 15.09.2017, 09:31 AM
Pro Bowler

How bout dem Bengals?
Old 15.09.2017, 09:38 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
How bout dem Bengals?

LOL how about them Browns .... gotta love being relevant on a 5 - 6 win kinda looking team.
Old 15.09.2017, 10:21 AM
All Pro

Dalton was always held up by his weapons and OL which masked his weak arm, skittish tendencies and doofus plays. You look back at that 2015 Bengals squad, especially on offence, and think if Brady/Rodgers/Brees etc had such offensive weapons (Green, Jones, Sanu, Eifert, Bernard, Hill, a top 5 OL with Hue Jackson coaching) they'd have broken all scoring records. Dalton failed to get past the first round of the playoffs.

Cincinnati are on for a sneaky bad 5-11/4-12 season here - if that doesn't get Lewis the sack he won't go until he retires/dies
Old 15.09.2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

If the Bengals are drafting in the Top 5 next year and fire Lewis then they'll be looking for a new QB. They can save $13.9m in cap space by releasing Dalton in 2018.
Old 15.09.2017, 12:17 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Dalton was always held up by his weapons and OL which masked his weak arm, skittish tendencies and doofus plays. You look back at that 2015 Bengals squad, especially on offence, and think if Brady/Rodgers/Brees etc had such offensive weapons (Green, Jones, Sanu, Eifert, Bernard, Hill, a top 5 OL with Hue Jackson coaching) they'd have broken all scoring records. Dalton failed to get past the first round of the playoffs.

Cincinnati are on for a sneaky bad 5-11/4-12 season here - if that doesn't get Lewis the sack he won't go until he retires/dies
This year is the last year of Marvs contract, I can't see him being renewed again. Not even by Mike Brown. The one thing he wouldn't want is to be called an embarrassment, and ATM that's what our play is making us look like.

I've been a defender of Dalton in the past, but last year he was not great, and when Green went down our O dropped off considerably, so maybe your right, the skills we had around maybe did prop him up whereas a Rodgers or a Brady wouldn't have faltered much at all in that scenario. It's becoming increasingly hard to defend him when he shrinks in his role like he has done the first two games this year.

The last drive last night kinda summed it up.

It's not surprising he doesn't have any trust in his O-Line though, for his entire career he's had Whitworth who lets face it was one of the best LT's in this league year in and year out. I've never seen our O-Line this bad though, I mean it's beyond appalling ATM.

I feel sorry for the D, they played really well barring one play last night.