Draft 2016 - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Sponsored Links

Old 05.03.2016, 09:44 AM
All Pro

I havnt seen anything of the Chargers in recent years, they dont appear on Sky too often! hoping they improve so we can see them Anyway i think Lissemore played every game last year? so hes a NT who doesnt play NT 0 tech? i know its not all about sacks but he didnt get one at all last season? Buckner seems to line up most of the time at right end (Conklin buried him) so some shifting around might be needed, i presume Ingram gets the sacks rushing from a wide pos? you need that on 3-4 i think. i like 3-4 that would be my choice of system, its unlikely the Chargers change tho under the same def co?
Sponsored Links
Old 05.03.2016, 03:21 PM
All Pro

Lissemore's a 4-3 DT/NT who is being used as a 1 gap NT in our 3/4. He's totally out of place and looks mediocre as a result. He really should be playing DE, and shuffling over to NT when we go to Nickel.

I don't know whether it's a case of not having the players, or whether the staff are totally delusional about the effectiveness of this scheme. What's worrying is it started with the arrival of Telesco, and while he was in Indi that team also had a reputation for a defence which was consistently bullied at the L.O.S and horrendous v's the run. I think they just don't 'get it' because they've had 3 full off-seasons to do something about it already.

Ingram plays Strong side OLB mostly although he does move around a bit. Before the season just gone he'd frequently line up at ILB and blitz, and he also played with his hand on the ground as a 4/3 DE in Nickel. It was mostly stand-up OLB the season past.

Last edited by Boltman; 05.03.2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05.03.2016, 08:49 PM
All Pro

sounds to me like Buckner wouldnt be the change they need? lots of probs to be sorted out,
Old 05.03.2016, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
sounds to me like Buckner wouldnt be the change they need? lots of probs to be sorted out,
Think Buckner would immediately solidify a leaky run Defense, and provide a strong inside pass rush down the line. He also appears to be a better fit than Bosa. Ramsey may be a better player than either, but DL appears to be the more pressing need. Depends what they do in FA, I guess...
Old 06.03.2016, 01:21 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Buckner would be a big help because the RE slot is every bit as poorly manned as the NT position. If there was a once in a generation talent available in the draft at NT I'd be all for taking him, but there isn't one worthy of the #3 pick. Buckner is decent value at the slot, but I wouldn't be against trading down to 7-15 and taking a DT instead if the picks we get in return are worth it.
Old 06.03.2016, 09:37 PM
All Pro

Liuget plays right DE would Buckner displace him? being a former ist round choice?
Old 06.03.2016, 10:14 PM
All Pro

Crossed wires.

I've always considered 'RE' to be the tackle/end who lines up across from the Left Tackle/Left Guard, i.e. the Weak side End. I realise other people 'flip' the defense and name the positions as viewed from the offensive side of the L.O.S.

To be clear, the way I describe a defense Liuget plays Left DE for San Diego, the Strong side DE. It's the other side we have the issue with, i.e. Buckner's collegiate position and where I'd expect him to line up should SD draft him.
Old 06.03.2016, 11:34 PM
Starter

Send a message via MSN to sjhowey

Lively thread

Buckner/Ramsey for me, or trade away for extra picks. Swayed more towards Ramsey in having watched highlights on some of the prospects. We need a game changer on D whether its DL or secondary.

Hoping Ryan Kelly is in our lap come R3, a center who comes without roller-skates would be fantastic. IMO the rest of the oline is strong (when healthy), C has been the cataylst for disaster, on top of the poor schemes. I can't recall one play where Rivers was able to step up in the pocket last season.

Going to be an interesting FA period first..
Old 07.03.2016, 12:50 AM
All Pro

I like Ramsey, I really do, but as I've already explained, I don't see him as having any meaningful impact on our Defensive unit. We had Weddle for years, but still the front seven got run all over buy scrubs and UDFA's and had trouble getting to the passer. All the best, actually no, all the merely good defences begin and end with the front seven. Safety is about the least 'difference making' position on the roster after Kicker, Punter, and arguably RB. Ramsey could be the next Deion and Ronnie Lott combined and he still makes no sense to pick at #3, especially after we let an All-Pro Safety walk simply because we felt disinclined to actually use the Franchise tag.

Our Secondary was actually quite passable last year, so I don't see any sense in adding to it while we have glaring deficiencies elsewhere. I can actually see Telesco taking Ramsey, in fact, I think it's quite likely, but it would be an unforgivably moronic pick given that he let Weddle walk away and seems completely oblivious to our 3 or 4 year long ineptitude on the DL.

IF, and big 'IF' we traded down and took him, or perhaps picked up a DL in the 2nd and/or 3rd, then I can understand it. However, for me the draft is more and more about 'bang for the buck' given that high pick rookies are now expected to come in and produce right away. There's far, far better value available at #3 than any Safety provides. It's not dissimilar to why both the Mathews and Gordon picks were so mindblowingly stupid. There's no logical argument for taking an RB that high unless he's a once in a generation talent like Tomlinson or Peterson, never mind trading up to do so. It's telling our franchise did it twice in the space of five drafts, so taking Ramsey would be right in keeping with that.

Ask yourself this :-

What would contribute most to this team right now? A marquee pass-rusher, run-stuffer, or OL, a solid starter at a similar position in the 2nd, perhaps a WR (someone like Coleman is bound to slip to our pick), and a 3rd round Safety

Or

Ramsey, and a solid starter on OL/DL, and perhaps a 3rd round WR who will barely see the field?

There are very few ways I can see Telesco making a complete mess of this draft, such is the talent pool, but taking a Safety at #3 is one of them.

I tell you what though; remembering the Chargers team of 2004-2006, Ramsey is exactly what that team was missing. That's the time you take a Safety in the 1st round, i.e. when the team is totally stacked and you can afford to blow your first rounder on a guy who you never actually want to have to do anything on the field because if he does it means something bad happened!

I suppose another way I could make this point is to ask - Right now, name who you think is the best Safety in the NFL, and ask yourself, if you could only choose one player and the choice was between that Safety and JJ Watt, who would you take? Unless you've already got JJ Watt, you take him every single time.

Last edited by Boltman; 07.03.2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07.03.2016, 08:34 PM
All Pro

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/...on/3-4-defense
ok just what i saw here,

Tags
chargers , draft 2016 , nfluk