College football needs to take focus off conferences, put it on teams - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 08.01.2010, 07:47 PM
All Pro

Default College football needs to take focus off conferences, put it on teams

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/c...teams-1.532247

Interesting read. The writer seeks to establish that judging teams based on their conference membership is not warranted.
Sponsored Links
Old 08.01.2010, 08:05 PM
All Pro

In fairness, outside of ESPN I think that people do look at the teams not the conferences. ESPN has a large vested interest and wants to promote the SEC in terms of speed and how elite they are as a football conference. Now the SEC has some good football teams, but the SEC speed is a myth. Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee were all defeated, at ease by as ESPN would have us believe "lower conferences" and did not show this SEC speed.

Alabama and Florida are probably the best two teams in the nation. They have speed indeed, but they also have great coaches, recruits etc. USC has speed, this year they had flat out speed but did not have the "football IQ" to go with the speed. Clemson had Jacoby Ford and CJ Spiller - two people that have won and set NCAA track records.

As far as I have seen it the media talks more about the teams. After Alabama won they talked about the program and people buying into Nick Saban. The Ohio State victory in the Rose Bowl was discussed in the terms of Tressel and his staff's ability to gameplan. Boise State as a team are talked about, their conference is not. In fact the criticism they receieve is for the strength of their non-conference schedule.

The Pac-10, ACC, MWC and SEC have all been mentioned recently in terms of a conference, mainly by ESPN. However when you break down such a report it looks at the teams - many do not have common themes. In the ACC, GT and VT are two different programs. USC and Arizona in the Pac-10 are two different programs.

Aside from ESPN I find that a lot of what I read is to do with the team itself. What I do find is that there is some promotion of confereces and this is more to do with the business side than the football side of college football. I am sure fans and coaches have little interest in which conference a team is from. There is no chance in Clemson this year we thought that because TCU were from the MWC they would role over, we expected them as a TCU team to be the most difficult opponents on our schedule.

I agree with the article (which was a good one) in the sense that the teams individually should be recognized and that their conference is just an affiliation and if you will a business. Yet I feel in general this is the case.
Old 09.01.2010, 03:39 AM
Pro Bowler

Send a message via AIM to nierika

I think the writer is a Big10 homer who is far too obsessed with conference bowl records (a worthless statistic IMO).
Old 09.01.2010, 01:37 PM
PurpleLion

College football teams play most of their games within conference. The best want to stay well ahead of conference teams. Their identity is based upon their competition and ones particular team style of play.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 09.01.2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Phrase
Old 09.01.2010, 01:46 PM
PurpleLion

The bowl game connection makes for many teams valuing more the games within conference. Teams are better with a january bowl game because of the strength that is gained. Any recruiting of great players is mostly associated with the athletes want of talent recognition.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 09.01.2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Phrase
Old 09.01.2010, 02:00 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABrit View Post
the SEC speed is a myth.
Spot on.

I can't believe that this idea that SEC players were faster than players in other conferences was ever taken seriously, to be honest. The logical extension of that argument is that kids from the deep south are naturally faster than kids from the midwest, mid-Atlantic or the plains, an idea so ludicrous anyone who expressed it would be laughed out of the room. The other conclusion we'd have to draw from the myth of "SEC speed" is that, since NFL teams don't draft exclusively from SEC schools, GMs must place a premium on slow, clumsy plodders.
Old 09.01.2010, 06:14 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to Merch1

SEC isn't faster but 6 BCS Championships (which IIRC is the same as every other conference combined) and 4 straight SEC BCS champions suggests the SEC is better coached and in better position for the top recruits and plays relatively well in the big game. SEC as a whole may not be better than anyone else, but it's high end teams each year are usually up there with the best.
Old 09.01.2010, 06:47 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch1 View Post
SEC isn't faster but 6 BCS Championships (which IIRC is the same as every other conference combined) and 4 straight SEC BCS champions suggests the SEC is better coached and in better position for the top recruits and plays relatively well in the big game.
No, it doesn't, and that's the point the article is making. The last 4 BCS championships say that in the last four years Florida (twice), LSU and Alabama have been the best coached and most talented teams in the country. Quite why sh#te like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State or South Carolina should be allowed to bask in that reflected glory has never been explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch1 View Post
SEC as a whole may not be better than anyone else, but it's high end teams each year are usually up there with the best.
I agree with that, but isn't that kind of the point? Only the top two teams in that conference in any given year are worth making any fuss over, yet year after year we hear the same sh#te about "SEC speed" and how the big, bad conference schedule SEC teams have to play is a valid excuse for a non-conference schedule consisting solely of glorified high school teams.

Last edited by dammitchloe; 09.01.2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 09.01.2010, 07:04 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitchloe View Post
No, it doesn't, and that's the point the article is making. The last 4 BCS championships say that in the last four years Florida (twice), LSU and Alabama have been the best coached and most talented teams in the country. Quite why sh#te like Vanderbilt, Mississippi State or South Carolina should be allowed to bask in that reflected glory has never been explained.

I agree with that, but isn't that kind of the point? Only the top two teams in that conference in any given year are worth making any fuss over, yet year after year we hear the same sh#te about "SEC speed" and how the big, bad conference schedule SEC teams have to play is a valid excuse for a non-conference schedule consisting solely of glorified high school teams.
Exactly. Vandy, Miss State and South Carolina are no better than Washington, Arizona State, Maryland, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan, Illinois, etc.etc.The crap about SEC depth is exactly that.
Old 09.01.2010, 07:42 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to Merch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Exactly. Vandy, Miss State and South Carolina are no better than Washington, Arizona State, Maryland, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan, Illinois, etc.etc.The crap about SEC depth is exactly that.
Vandy I agree with, though Miss. State with Dan Mullen in charge will be on the up. You really just lumped South Carolina (7-6) in with Michigan (5-7), Maryland (2-10), Illinois (3-9)? Those were some of the most dire teams all year.

The SEC finished with only 2 teams with a losing record. The only other BCS conference who could match that is the Big East. SEC has depth, just not as huge as it's made out to be. The Big Ten is claiming to have just as much depth but after their top 5, no other team has a winning record.

In fact I believe this was a down year for the SEC, next year Tennessee, Georgia and Auburn will be back in the mix with Alabama, Florida and LSU.

People may not like it, but currently, the SEC is the best conference. Closely followed by the Big Ten and Big 12 IMO.