Visit To Chicago - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Old 22.02.2014, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Default Visit To Chicago

Hi All

Just got a quick question for you guys that have visited Chicago before.

I am planning my first visit this coming year and I have spent some time planning our trip but I am unsure of the best area of Chicago to stay in so was just wondering if anybody could advise of the best locations in the city to stay. I just want to be fairly central and also I have heard that most of the city is fairly compact and a lot of the attractions are in walking distance. Any info or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Damian
Sponsored Links
Old 22.02.2014, 05:54 PM
Team Captain

Hi Damian

My girlfriend and I went to Chicago in December and stayed at the Congress Plaza Hotel on South Michigan Ave which I would recommend highly.

Within walking distance you have the Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Magnificent Mile, Field Museum, Gino's East from Man vs Food, and most importantly Soldier Field. United Center is just a short bus ride away for the Bulls and Blackhawks which we did also.

I would also recommend Yolk for breakfast which is a few blocks away.

You can organise a shuttle from O'Hare Airport which will stop outside the hotel, it snowed almost the entire time we were there but everything carried on as normal.

Hope this helps, any questions let me know!
Old 22.02.2014, 11:25 PM
Team Captain

I agree with South Michigan - I stayed at the Essex Inn and loved the hotel and location. Roosevelt Station is a 5 min walk if you wanted to catch the train for anything also (I got the train from the airport, cost $5)
Old 24.02.2014, 10:30 AM
All Pro

stayed at the congress as well when i went ..perfect location

also catch the train as well from the airport ...the ticket machine does not give change ...found that out the hard way

stayed in the Hostel international for a few nights as well .... ok for a few nights but as im such a light sleeper i had to change to a hotel and take the hit to my bank balance...enjoyed it much more as well

the holiday inn on the canal is a great hotel as well

stunning views ..especially for the bar
Old 24.02.2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

I just want to add as an outsider, that Chicago is a fantastic city and you will love it!
Old 23.03.2014, 08:47 AM
Rookie

Thanks to all for the reply's much appreciated.

Cant do a deal now till the schedules a rereleased hoping to go before November time if possible. Can anyone advise on who they have booked flights with please?? I have looked at Virgin and I know a couple of the American carriers fly from Manchester. Anybody used any other carrier?? Also I was thinking of going for about five nights as I want to see the city as well so was thinking of maybe flying out on the Thursday/Friday. Anybody recommend this as a good option??

Thanks Again
Old 23.03.2014, 09:28 AM
Team Captain

I flew with United, sponsors of the Bears! Not for that reason of course, was just a lucky coincidence! The air stewardess was lovely - when she saw I was a Bears fan we got talking and it turned out she was one of the hostesses that is used for the Bears trips, and gave me her Bears lanyard! :-) The hotel I booked through Virgin. Virgin only do flights to Chicago during the summer, unless they have changed since 2012, so just be aware of checking the airlines fly when you want to go! My trip was for a week and there was plenty to do, though friends of mine did the Thursday to Monday
Old 23.03.2014, 02:09 PM
Team Captain

As we did a multi-stop trip we went through lastminute.com.
We actually found it cheaper to do LDN - CHI - NY - LDN than just a simple return to Chicago, we ended flying with BA there on a Saturday and American Airlines on the way home on a Friday.
Old 24.04.2014, 07:12 AM
Pro

I'm thinking of going to Chicago to see a game in September, however now the schedule is out I'm unsure of which game to go see. The 2 games at soldier field in September are the first game vs the Bills or game 4 vs the Packers. Will I struggle to get a ticket for these games, with one being the first game of the season and the other being against the Bears biggest rivals?
Old 25.04.2014, 01:15 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgt View Post
I'm thinking of going to Chicago to see a game in September, however now the schedule is out I'm unsure of which game to go see. The 2 games at soldier field in September are the first game vs the Bills or game 4 vs the Packers. Will I struggle to get a ticket for these games, with one being the first game of the season and the other being against the Bears biggest rivals?
IMO getting tickets to play the bills will be easier, if you are interested in getting pack games craigslist etc a few weeks before would be the one to consider