Predictions 2015 - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Old 21.09.2015, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Guys, I think panic is the likely response here. Let's not over-react. Keep in mind the way Tampa and Oakland played last week vs this week. That's all I am saying.

That said, I think we are in very serious trouble if Cutler is out for any length of time. Fingers crossed it is not too serious. Despite the INT I thought Cutler played very well up to the point of his injury. If he were to go through the season with 1 INT per game that is fine. His general play in 1.5 games has been vastly improved over last year. And lets's not forget we've had nothing at receiver in those games either.

I'm hearing an awful lot of concern for the D. Some I do agree with, some I do not.

The Pass Rush is fine. I think any fears about that should have been allayed yesterday. Those who are worried must be only looking at the sack column and not the game. Pernell McPhee was a terror yesterday. He got consistent pressure. It did not translate into sacks but that was good play from Palmer passing under pressure. I also thought Jared Allen got a good pass rush and Jarvis Jenkins was active. Let's not forget we have Ratliff to return. The pass rush will be fine. It's not among the leagues best, but it is not the problem.

However, the area where I am genuinely worried. The area which is going to stop us being an adequate team is in the secondary. Alan Ball has been horrendous in both of our games so far. Kyle Fuller scares me, he's been awful. He's looking like the Kyle Fuller from the second half of last season. both just have bad fundamentals all around. McManis is struggling in the slot also. We have nothing at corner.

I want to see Terrance Mitchell start next week in place of Fuller. They pulled Fuller at the end yesterday I noticed. I think it's time. I also hope Tracy Porter can get healthy and take Ball's spot. But it could be wishful thinking.

I thought we had real issues at safety coming into the year but I've been quite impressed with Antrel Rolle. He's played quite well. Also, Adrian Amos has been fine. For a rookie he's not made any mistakes. Hasn't made any big plays either, but he's been ok.

48 points looks bad. And it is. But with Clausen under center we cannot do anything on offence. So teams will rack up points if we don't have any offence.

If Cutler is gone for any length of time then we will be one of the favourites for the #1 pick. But if he's back I still feel like we will win 5 games. Must improve at corner though. Massively.
Sponsored Links
Old 21.09.2015, 10:54 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Guys, I think panic is the likely response here. Let's not over-react. Keep in mind the way Tampa and Oakland played last week vs this week. That's all I am saying.

That said, I think we are in very serious trouble if Cutler is out for any length of time. Fingers crossed it is not too serious. Despite the INT I thought Cutler played very well up to the point of his injury. If he were to go through the season with 1 INT per game that is fine. His general play in 1.5 games has been vastly improved over last year. And lets's not forget we've had nothing at receiver in those games either.

I'm hearing an awful lot of concern for the D. Some I do agree with, some I do not.

The Pass Rush is fine. I think any fears about that should have been allayed yesterday. Those who are worried must be only looking at the sack column and not the game. Pernell McPhee was a terror yesterday. He got consistent pressure. It did not translate into sacks but that was good play from Palmer passing under pressure. I also thought Jared Allen got a good pass rush and Jarvis Jenkins was active. Let's not forget we have Ratliff to return. The pass rush will be fine. It's not among the leagues best, but it is not the problem.

However, the area where I am genuinely worried. The area which is going to stop us being an adequate team is in the secondary. Alan Ball has been horrendous in both of our games so far. Kyle Fuller scares me, he's been awful. He's looking like the Kyle Fuller from the second half of last season. both just have bad fundamentals all around. McManis is struggling in the slot also. We have nothing at corner.

I want to see Terrance Mitchell start next week in place of Fuller. They pulled Fuller at the end yesterday I noticed. I think it's time. I also hope Tracy Porter can get healthy and take Ball's spot. But it could be wishful thinking.

I thought we had real issues at safety coming into the year but I've been quite impressed with Antrel Rolle. He's played quite well. Also, Adrian Amos has been fine. For a rookie he's not made any mistakes. Hasn't made any big plays either, but he's been ok.

48 points looks bad. And it is. But with Clausen under center we cannot do anything on offence. So teams will rack up points if we don't have any offence.

If Cutler is gone for any length of time then we will be one of the favourites for the #1 pick. But if he's back I still feel like we will win 5 games. Must improve at corner though. Massively.
Agree more or less. I am happy with the D except the secondary, surely there is somebody out there better than Ball? I don't like to get on young players backs, but right now Fuller is looking to going in the bust direction.

Sods law we have played Rodgers and s Bruce Arians vertical offense which has really exposed our DB's.

My fantasy football strategy until I see better things is to pick any receiver going against us.
Old 21.09.2015, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Agree more or less. I am happy with the D except the secondary, surely there is somebody out there better than Ball? I don't like to get on young players backs, but right now Fuller is looking to going in the bust direction.

Sods law we have played Rodgers and s Bruce Arians vertical offense which has really exposed our DB's.

My fantasy football strategy until I see better things is to pick any receiver going against us.
Yeah, there is no sugar coating the situation at corner unfortunately. Terrance Mitchell did very well in preseason, he has to start. The Bears need to be all over the waiver wire if any half decent corners become available. We are in desperate need of competition at all three corner sports.

The only silver lining being that it is early in the season and I think we're a better team than is perhaps apparent - overall.

We have played two teams who I suspect are going to challenge for the NFC Championship. I had been quite harsh on Arizona in preseason, but looking at their two games it seems their defence is solid and their offence potentially very good. Carson Palmer is finally getting some of the credit he deserves.

I am writing off next weeks game in Seattle. I would start Clausen even if Cutler is 90% and let him get healthy (obviously Cutler's injury could be more severe than that, but fingers crossed). Then we play the Raiders and we'll see where we stand a little more.
Old 22.09.2015, 09:37 AM
All Pro

until cutler got injured our offense was looking decent, there was a good rhythm. You have to keep in mind our offensive plan is to work the clock not just score. We were looking competitive.

The D didn't play as badly as the score suggests. I entirely agree our CBs are the real weakness on a D with few genuine bright spots.

Clauson isn't an NFL QB; he has a job because there simply aren't enough o go around. We won't beat any other team in this league with Clauson.

On the positive side (kind of) we would have struggled to not be 0-4 even with Cutler. When Cutler comes back the journey to hoping for a draft stud is still on track.
Old 22.09.2015, 05:16 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post

I am not entirely sure we were watching the same game. I even went back and watched the first half on game pass and McPhee was nearly invisible as was the rest of the pass rush.

Allen is old. Really old. And he is looking really old. I'll give him credit for the pick, but he provided zero pass rush.

In fact there was no pass rush all day.

As a team they had zero tackles for loss on the day according to Fox Sports.

As for your comments on Rolle, he is in the same camp as Allen, old and slow. He has been old and slow for a couple years. It was a huge mistake to give him a big money contract.

They are facing a lengthy rebuild at best. Apart from moving Kyle Long back to guard, there are zero credible building blocks evident. Perhaps Goldman as a space eater but he really hasn't flashed anything yet. Perhaps Amos can be serviceable, but doesn't seem that special. That's it.

This team is full of holes and need to start playing youngsters now. That includes Fales because we all know Clausen is nothing special.

This team has a serious chance to go 0-16!

Bear Down!
Old 22.09.2015, 05:21 PM
Pro

Here are a couple quick hits from one of the most respected football writers in America, Hub Arkush...

"OLBs: Pernell McPhee rushed from different angles in his second Bears start but again failed to make an impact. Jared Allen showed his athleticism with an interception but struggled to get around LT Jared Veldheer. Lamarr Houston’s reps increased, matching Willie Young’s, but neither player’s production improved. Sam Acho’s regular-season debut in a Bears uniform was uneventful. Chicago joins Oakland as the NFL's only teams with zero sacks in two games."

"Kyle Fuller: Fuller received a pass in this space last week, but his regression wasn’t ignored by Fox and won’t be here, either. His eyes were in the backfield on a flea-flicker for a Larry Fitzgerald touchdown after being beat almost instantly on Fitzgerald’s first score, an inside-breaking route similar to one he surrendered a touchdown on last week. In addition to benching him, Fox delivered some pointed post-game criticism that suggests Fuller simply wasn’t sufficiently prepared, a huge indictment of a first-round talent whose last taste of success came nearly a full calendar year ago."

Rest of the article here http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/...eek-2/aquzw6e/
Old 23.09.2015, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwnicholson View Post
I am not entirely sure we were watching the same game. I even went back and watched the first half on game pass and McPhee was nearly invisible as was the rest of the pass rush.
Well one thing we do agree on is that we must be watching different games.

McPhee finished the game with 3 QB hits and 4 hurries which is more pressure than Von Miller, Justin Houston or JJ Watt were able to generate in Week 2. So to say he was anonymous is frankly ridiculous. I don't care how "respected" a writer is, I will trust what I see Especially when it is verified by people whose processes I know first hand, like the guys at PFF. Having worked for them for a little while I know there processes and how these things are measured and they are factually correct - and indisputable. They also agree with what I saw by having McPhee listed in the team of the Week (link below). You can debate the grading on these things, as I do. But from the basis of what actually happened their date is correct and verified by scouts and NFL teams themselves. But honestly, that's all window dressing. Watching the game it's clear that McPhee was all over the Right Tackle and caused pressure on numerous occasions. It just did not translate to sacks - but sacks are an awful metric anyway. Pressure is key.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...on-for-week-2/
Old 23.09.2015, 06:04 PM
Pro

PFF and it's "advanced metrics" have certainly been the darling of the media as of late haven't they? Unfortunately, just like Moneyball, they don't actually translate into real wins, losses, and performance, IMO. The website claims that professional teams enlist their services, so I guess all those professional scouts, quality control assistants, video analysts, and coaches that get paid salary are just a huge waste of money. Instead I guess they should all be replaced with part time analysts with a few months training and limited experience actually scouting or playing run by a guy who list's it as his second career that he only does during football season.

PFF also underestimates, IMO, the complexity of players operating in space WRT zone schemes, sight adjustments, and non verbal communication. If coaches need to analyse film extensively and speak with players and other coaches to determine what happened on a particular play, why does PFF believe that they can judge who blew a coverage or ran the wrong route? I will admit in one on one battles such as OL they are probably more effective as it is less subjective.

To say that the analysis is factually correct and indisputable is laughable. Player performance is always subjective, it is not black or white.

Take for instance the very list you sent me, there are some obvious performers on that list that needed to be there this week i.e. Rothlisberger, Brown, and Gronk. There were also some players that clearly outperformed those that were deemed players of the week.

Darrelle Revis CB?
Marcus Peters CB?
Jamie Collins OLB?
Chandler Jones DE?
Stephen Gostkowski K or Mason Crosby K?
Countless RBs that were better than Forsett -- AP for example was a beast against Detroit.

I am no scout, and to be honest, I have never heard of a QB disruption, and I grew up playing the game in public and high school and have been an avid fan for quite a while. I have no idea what it entails, but I know it is not an official stat. I suspect it's subjective much like when coaches review the film and all of a sudden everybody gets a few more tackles on D for the team website stats.

I will agree that sacks are overrated sometimes, but to say that McPhee dominated that game is just plain wrong IMO. Did he have an impact? Yes, but hardly dominant or IMO above average. Was he largely invisible at times? Yes. You graded him out higher than Justin Houston's 2 sacks, 5 Tackles, and a batted down ball eh? Curious. Or JJ Watt's Sack, 4 Tackles, and 2 Knocked down passes. Hmmm.

As always, YMMV, but these are my opinions.
Old 24.09.2015, 02:39 PM
Starter

Whether we think that McPhee is 'disrupting the QB' or not (and I don't see it) - it's simply not enough in total for a Bears D that looks tired and ineffective (for the last 3 seasons at least)

Taking this link in a different direction - is there a game changing NFL elite college player coming to the draft in 2016 ?

And if he is not a QB, do we take him anyway ?

We ARE going to have a very high draft pick based on what we've seen so far - we all agree on that don't we ?

3 and 13 or 2 and 14 perhaps ?
Old 24.09.2015, 04:40 PM
Starter

If we are picking in the first three which looks likely(or even first) surely we have to go with a QB? I know they are never sure things but the chances are a lot higher at the top of the first round. Hopefully we won't be picking this high in the next few years but I fear it might take at least 3 years to rebuild this mess.

The draft busts in the last 10 years has been frightening. Especially the first round.

How many players on the roster now can you see defiantly being here in three years?

Defence

Mcphee
Goldman
Amos
Sutton?
Ferguson?
Fuller?

Offense

Long
Langford
White
Jeffrey?