Free Agents - Keep or Let Go? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Sponsored Links

Old 08.01.2016, 01:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Free Agents - Keep or Let Go?

Of the many Bears players due to become free agents next year, who would you keep and who would you let go? I have picked out some of the bigger names:-

Sam Acho
Alan Ball
Vladimir Ducasse
Matt Forte
Alshon Jeffery
Jarvis Jenkins
Marc Mariani
Shea McClellin
Zach Miller
Will Montgomery
Ryan Mundy
Tracy Porter
Chris Prosinski
Jacquizz Rodgers
Patrick Omameh (Restricted FA)
Josh Bellamy (Exclusive Rights FA)
Sponsored Links
Old 08.01.2016, 02:12 PM
Starter

My view is,

Sam Acho - Let go. McPhee,Houston and Young are a good start for OLB. Hopefully add a young guy through the draft.
Alan Ball - Bye Bye waste of 3 million
Vladimir Ducasse - Gone. The penaltys drove me crazy
Matt Forte - Want to keep him. Hopefully agree a team friendly deal, 2 years $8m?? Would hate to see him in another shirt but I think he will be gone.
Alston Jeffery - Keep on the tag. We need to know what we have in White and Jeffery needs to prove some durability before he gets a long term deal.
Jarvis Jenkins - Possibly a keeper depending on what happens in Draft/FA
Marc Mariani - Showed some nice stuff at the end of the year. He can fight for a place at training camp.
Shea Mcclellan - Gone. Thought he was a poor selection at the time and proved correct. We need to get much better at ILB
Zach Miller - Keep. I think he will sign a multi year deal.
Will Montgomery - Keep for another year. Grassu didn't look the best. Hopefully he improves with another off season of training.
Ryan Mundy - Gone
Tracy Porter - Keep. Had a good year. Our best CB in my opinion
Chris Prosinski - Gone
Jacquizz Rodgers - Gone. If we can keep 22 RB will be our stronger group.
Patrick Omameh (Restricted FA) - Fight for a spot at training camp. Looking for a high pick OL
Josh Bellamy (Exclusive Rights FA) - Improved on ST's worth keeping for training camp at least.
Old 08.01.2016, 03:31 PM
Pro Bowler

I'm thinking:-

Sam Acho - Gone, like you say there are better players and I think we'll draft high, of go through free agency for this position
Alan Ball - Gone, he was poor and outplayed by others in this position
Vladimir Ducasse - Dreadful, our worst OL
Matt Forte - There is emotional attachment to him, but I think he will go. We have Carey and Langford who show promise. Wish him all the best whether he's with us next year or not
Alshon Jeffery - Would be very surprised if we let him go, could get the Franchise tag
Jarvis Jenkins - I would keep him
Marc Mariani - As a Returner he wasn't great, but played okay at WR. Touch and go whether we keep him
Shea McClellin - Okay at ILB, but not great. Only keep on greatly reduced contract
Zach Miller - Imagine we'll sign him up and Bennett will leave
Will Montgomery - Didn't really see much of him through injury, keep whilst Grasu matures
Ryan Mundy - Injured a lot, another one who is touch and go to stay
Tracy Porter - Definitely keep, played really well this season
Chris Prosinski - Keep if cheap!
Jacquizz Rodgers - Go, we have 2 good young Running-Backs, not to mention Senorise Perry who we'll possibly keep for his special teams play
Patrick Omameh - Keep, I thought he looked decent for us
Josh Bellamy - Touch and go, see what young receivers we get either drafted or undrafted
Old 11.01.2016, 07:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
I'm thinking:-

Sam Acho - Gone, like you say there are better players and I think we'll draft high, of go through free agency for this position
Alan Ball - Gone, he was poor and outplayed by others in this position
Vladimir Ducasse - Dreadful, our worst OL
Matt Forte - There is emotional attachment to him, but I think he will go. We have Carey and Langford who show promise. Wish him all the best whether he's with us next year or not
Alshon Jeffery - Would be very surprised if we let him go, could get the Franchise tag
Jarvis Jenkins - I would keep him
Marc Mariani - As a Returner he wasn't great, but played okay at WR. Touch and go whether we keep him
Shea McClellin - Okay at ILB, but not great. Only keep on greatly reduced contract
Zach Miller - Imagine we'll sign him up and Bennett will leave
Will Montgomery - Didn't really see much of him through injury, keep whilst Grasu matures
Ryan Mundy - Injured a lot, another one who is touch and go to stay
Tracy Porter - Definitely keep, played really well this season
Chris Prosinski - Keep if cheap!
Jacquizz Rodgers - Go, we have 2 good young Running-Backs, not to mention Senorise Perry who we'll possibly keep for his special teams play
Patrick Omameh - Keep, I thought he looked decent for us
Josh Bellamy - Touch and go, see what young receivers we get either drafted or undrafted
Agree with most of that.

Our ILB position really needs addressing though. Both Shea and Christian Jones were disappointing. And yes, finances will probably decide whether we keep him or not.

I think Mundy is definately done though.
Old 13.01.2016, 11:15 AM
All Pro

Sam Acho - Gone. we'll draft or try to get better in FA.
Alan Ball - Gone.
Vladimir Ducasse - Gone.
Matt Forte - He will offer a home town discount but he still needs to get paid. I think he goes. If the market is flat we bring him back, but I think he will get paid.
Alston Jeffery - Keep on the tag. We need to know what we have in White and Jeffery needs to prove some durability before he gets a long term deal: That.
Jarvis Jenkins - Cheap negotiation, stay.
Marc Mariani - Thompson showed far better return skills. He showed up when he need to though... not sure, will definitely make it to camp.
Shea Mcclellan - Gone. Can't take on blocks, not a great tackler. No upsides here I think. Maybe keep him super cheap, who else is going to pay him?
Zach Miller - Keep. A great find.
Will Montgomery - Keep.
Ryan Mundy - Gone.
Tracy Porter - Keep. Had a good year. Our best CB in my opinion: that.
Chris Prosinski - Gone
Jacquizz Rodgers - Gone.
Patrick Omameh (Restricted FA) -camp.
Josh Bellamy (Exclusive Rights FA) - camp.
Old 19.01.2016, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

With the cap going up the Free Agent market will be more spartan than usual I suspect.

But I think we should keep way more than most of you from that lot.

Re-sign:
Alshon Jeffery - To a long term deal. Now is the time while we have the cap space. No sense in putting him under the cap unless he actively wants out.

Sam Acho - His experience and off-field leadership is important. We're young team getting younger and you need guys who set the right examples. Also, he plays the run very well.

Jarvis Jenkins - No brainer. Looks like a talented player a you must have depth on the d-line.

Zach Miller - definite keeper. Even if he flatlines as a #2. I'd like to see Bennett gone so we should keep Miller for sure.

Vladimir Ducasse - Again depth is key. He's a talented player, injuries really hurt his development. I think Fox likes the player he could be and it's worth keeping him on the roster, even if he's a backup.

Cut:
Matt Forte - Giving big money to 30 year old running backs is ALWAYS a bad idea. Even if they're Eric Dickerson. It's time for both sides to move on.

Alan Ball - He's just not very good.

Jaquizz Rodgers - surplus to requirements

Tracy Porter - Cannot play the slot. Average in coverage. Makes the odd big play but the secondary needs a overhaul. There is far better out there.

Josh Bellamy - Meh.

Chris Prosinski - MEH.

Could go either way:
Will Montgomery - I think he stays because Fox trusts him. But he's a below average starting center imo, as a blocker at least. Depends how much they like Grasu/Slauson at Center.

Shea McClellin - The team have already announced they are not going to take his option. That makes sense since he isn't worth first round money. He was pretty good at ILB last year though. Never going to be a star but a soid part of a rotation. Might be worth bringing back but will have a chance to sign anywhere he wants too.

Marc Mariani - Has an edge over Bellamy by virtue of his ST skills. Could go either way though.

Ryan Mundy - When healthy he's better than Antrell Rolle. But Rolle is a leader and Mundy has had a year out. I'd guess he's likely cut.

Patrick Omameh - I'd guess he'll get cut. I think he's poor. But the o-line strategy for the off-season is unclear. I think it needs a lot of work, but does Pace?

Also:
If there is any way we can offload Bennett and Bushrod that would be a win too. Similarly, Lamarr Houston and Willie Young. Also, WTF is that Eddie Royal contract. It's awful. We lack talent accross the board.
Old 19.01.2016, 12:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
With the cap going up the Free Agent market will be more spartan than usual I suspect.

But I think we should keep way more than most of you from that lot.

Re-sign:
Alshon Jeffery - To a long term deal. Now is the time while we have the cap space. No sense in putting him under the cap unless he actively wants out.

Sam Acho - His experience and off-field leadership is important. We're young team getting younger and you need guys who set the right examples. Also, he plays the run very well.

Jarvis Jenkins - No brainer. Looks like a talented player a you must have depth on the d-line.

Zach Miller - definite keeper. Even if he flatlines as a #2. I'd like to see Bennett gone so we should keep Miller for sure.

Vladimir Ducasse - Again depth is key. He's a talented player, injuries really hurt his development. I think Fox likes the player he could be and it's worth keeping him on the roster, even if he's a backup.

Cut:
Matt Forte - Giving big money to 30 year old running backs is ALWAYS a bad idea. Even if they're Eric Dickerson. It's time for both sides to move on.

Alan Ball - He's just not very good.

Jaquizz Rodgers - surplus to requirements

Tracy Porter - Cannot play the slot. Average in coverage. Makes the odd big play but the secondary needs a overhaul. There is far better out there.

Josh Bellamy - Meh.

Chris Prosinski - MEH.

Could go either way:
Will Montgomery - I think he stays because Fox trusts him. But he's a below average starting center imo, as a blocker at least. Depends how much they like Grasu/Slauson at Center.

Shea McClellin - The team have already announced they are not going to take his option. That makes sense since he isn't worth first round money. He was pretty good at ILB last year though. Never going to be a star but a soid part of a rotation. Might be worth bringing back but will have a chance to sign anywhere he wants too.

Marc Mariani - Has an edge over Bellamy by virtue of his ST skills. Could go either way though.

Ryan Mundy - When healthy he's better than Antrell Rolle. But Rolle is a leader and Mundy has had a year out. I'd guess he's likely cut.

Patrick Omameh - I'd guess he'll get cut. I think he's poor. But the o-line strategy for the off-season is unclear. I think it needs a lot of work, but does Pace?

Also:
If there is any way we can offload Bennett and Bushrod that would be a win too. Similarly, Lamarr Houston and Willie Young. Also, WTF is that Eddie Royal contract. It's awful. We lack talent accross the board.
Why get rid rid of Young? He was our best edge rusher after McPhee, has a reasonable salary too.
Old 22.01.2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Why get rid rid of Young? He was our best edge rusher after McPhee, has a reasonable salary too.
Because he's unable to play coverage and he does not want to be there (having requested a trade mid-season). His play against the run is also suspect. I don't think his pass rushing skills are so strong that they outweigh the other issues there.

In the 3-4 you're only compounding problems if you shoehorn guys in for the sake of one specific skill. If he were happy playing small snaps as a situational pass rusher, I would be in favour of retaining him. But he's spoken of his need to play more, and I don't think anyone can blame him for that. I am sure he'll go and do quite well in a 4-3 team. But even then his lack of run leverage is an issue.

In the end he's just a better fit as a 4-3 end. Sure, he was #2 pass rusher but it's the best of a bad bunch.
Old 18.03.2016, 08:45 AM
Pro Bowler

Kyle Long and Alshon Jeffery both due to become unrestricted free agents next year, really hope we can tie them down to longer contracts.

Lamarr Houston gets more a year than Danny Trevathan and has more guaranteed!

Would be nice to jettison Eddie Royal too, although maybe he'll be better this season if he can stay healthy
Old 18.03.2016, 10:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
Kyle Long and Alshon Jeffery both due to become unrestricted free agents next year, really hope we can tie them down to longer contracts.

Lamarr Houston gets more a year than Danny Trevathan and has more guaranteed!

Would be nice to jettison Eddie Royal too, although maybe he'll be better this season if he can stay healthy
We get the 5th year option to extend Long as he was a 1st round pick. Won't be a FA until 2017.

Eddie Royal is going nowhere as his 4.5m salary is fully guaranteed. On the plus side if he crashes this year too we can cut him next off season for no dead money