PHINS FANS OPINIONS! - Page 2748 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Sponsored Links

Old 02.01.2016, 10:19 PM
MVP

In regards to the coaching vacancies a lot of the top candidates (McDaniels and Jackson to name at least two) will be tied up in the playoffs and off limits, for the most part, until their respective teams are knocked out.

If Miami is seeking to make appointments after the regular season has wound up then either unemployed coaches (Kelly, Pagano?) or coaches from other non-playoff teams (Gase) are more likely to be hired.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.01.2016, 08:34 PM
Team Captain

Only just picked up on the fact that Hickey is now gone and Tannenbaum now has the reins.

Can anyone give me some positive way to look at this? i can't help but feel Hickey hardly got a fair shot at this and considering the personnel decisions made by the jets durring Tannenbaum's tenure i'm not feeling that this is the right guy to turn around an already dysfunctional franchise...am i missing something?

Last edited by Finfan1uk; 03.01.2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03.01.2016, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfan1uk View Post
Only just picked up on the fact that Hickey is now gone and Tannenbaum now has the reins.

Can anyone give me some positive way to look at this? i can't help but feel Hickey hardly got a fair shot at this and considering the personnel decisions made by the jets durring Tannenbaum's tenure i'm not feeling that this is the right guy to turn around an already dysfunctional franchise...am i missing something?
Yes you are kind of missing something. Tannenbaum is not taking over for Hickey... but he is still in overall charge of all football operations.... and will be the boss of the new GM. But you are kind of right in that, essentially Tannenbaum is still the man running the show and basically has final say on football decisions, even though Hickey is being replaced by another GM.

And Apparently they have already hired Chris Grier from within the organisation as the new GM to replace Hickey.

He was previously director of scouting for the Dolphins.

Quite glad the Dolphins have done this before hiring a new Head Coach. This means they can hopefully hire a new HC who fits with what Tannenbaum and Grier want to do.

Rather than forcing a new head coach to work with an existing GM, or vice versa like they have done with the last few GM/HC hirings.

I don't think many Dolfans have much faith in Tannenbaum though.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 03.01.2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03.01.2016, 10:02 PM
Team Captain

Thanks for the clarification Cornish, i just saw the headline and jumped to the conclusion he would be taking over Hickey's duties. Do you have any info/knowledge about Chris Grier other than previously being director of scouting?

I do agree with you it's good to know this has been dealt with before hiring a new head coach fingers crossed everyone will be on the same page rather than the constant merry go round we're used to!

I have to admit Tannenbaum dosen't give me much hope and in some ways i would have preferred a complete change of guard. Guess i just need to keep some faith...heck at least we beat the Pats tonight!

Last edited by Finfan1uk; 03.01.2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03.01.2016, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Cornish, i just saw the headline and jumped to the conclusion he would be taking over Hickey's duties. Do you have any info/knowledge about Chris Grier other than previously being director of scouting?

I do agree with you it's good to know this has been dealt with before hiring a new head coach fingers crossed everyone will be on the same page rather than the constant merry go round we're used to!

I have to admit Tannenbaum dosen't give me much hope and in some ways i would have preferred a complete change of guard. Guess i just need to keep some faith...heck at least we beat the Pats tonight!
No worries! And yeah I would have preferred Tannenbaum gone too.... but realistically that was never going to happen as he was only just hired at the beginning of this season. We're stuck with him for the foreseeable future I'm afraid. I guess we have to remain open minded though, and hope he does a better job than he did with the Jets.

Here's a link with info about the Chris Grier hiring. I don't know much about him either, but he has been with the organisation for 16 years, and apears to be quite well regarded around the league:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/
Old 03.01.2016, 10:34 PM
MVP

Quote:

Don't know much about Grier. Using the Miami Herald as a base point, he's been with the team for 16 years and is apparently well respected within NFL circles. Grier came to us from the Pats and he interviewed for the Jets GM job last year.

Looking at positives from Tannenbaum's time with NY is that they went to the playoffs 3 times and reached the AFC championship game 2 years running. Like all GM's had hits and misses in the draft.

The one thing I didn't know about his tenure with the Jets is how often he traded picks. In his time with them they had 31 picks in seven years which works out as an average of 4.4. That is a lot of trading considering you start with 7 picks each year.
Old 04.01.2016, 09:50 AM
Pro Bowler

A win against the Pats! Great!? Why could we not play like that when it really mattered?

Nice to win the last game of the season, but I think that was the worst result for both teams. The Pats did not get home field advantage for the playoffs, and the Dolphins lost out on the draft (I could be wrong on that and maybe it made no difference to our draft pick?)
Old 04.01.2016, 10:10 AM
GOAT

Well despite it being 'garbage time' what great win against the division rivals the Patriots!!

DVP, Miller, Landry even Jennings all had imho a great game and showed we have real talent on the offensive side of the ball.. Tannehill did well too.. although #74 Fox... well what can I say HE HAS TO GO!!!

Defence stepped up and had me confident in their abilities.. I was annoyed at Vernon #50 for a shocking penalty that negated a big stop on 3rd down later in the game but over all a solid performance..
Old 04.01.2016, 11:07 AM
All Pro

More weak moves by management. Grier is basically just a puppet for Tannenbaum and will inevitably become a scapegoat when we continue to fail. I'm not sure how on earth a GM can operate with somebody like Tannenbaum above them. Also, Grier has been our college scout for the last decade or so - judging on the talent that we've acquired in the draft over that time I wouldn't say he's been particularly successful in that role...
Old 04.01.2016, 12:51 PM
Team Captain

Adam Gase being interviewed on Thursday, Campbell on Friday. Things moving quickly which is good! Payton reportedly showing no interest in Miami HC role.

Good win for us yesterday, saw most of the game and Parker was absolutely brilliant 5 catches for over 100yds and a TD, he's going to be a nightmare for opposing DB's next year. Was quite disappointed with Miller and Ajayi's running though, just couldn't get much going at all and the OL just caved in time and time again, the run blocking was non-existent at times. Taking away their #1 seed isn't compensation for a terrible season overall, but it is something at least that and watching the Jets crash out of the playoffs hehe.