NFL Yearly Awards - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08.02.2009, 06:35 PM
JeromeNeil's Avatar
JeromeNeil JeromeNeil is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 05.02.2008
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
It's ridiculous to say Ryan was only good because of Turner against us MT was shut down and yet Ryan played great and nearly won them the game.

In a few year he'll be the best at the position, and i'm inclined to say best ever!
Very, very, very, very premature.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 08.02.2009, 07:08 PM
flea's Avatar
flea flea is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 29.04.2005
Posts: 1,568
Default

best ever???
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.02.2009, 08:03 PM
The Milehigh Broncos's Avatar
The Milehigh Broncos The Milehigh Broncos is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 05.09.2007
Posts: 2,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
It's ridiculous to say Ryan was only good because of Turner against us MT was shut down and yet Ryan played great and nearly won them the game.

In a few year he'll be the best at the position, and i'm inclined to say best ever!

for an all pro poster to make comments about someone being the best ever after their rookie season is just sheer stupidity, crazy, mad, idiotic, non sensical, ete etc etc
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.02.2009, 08:43 PM
John Breitenbach's Avatar
John Breitenbach John Breitenbach is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 20.11.2005
Posts: 6,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYOFDENVER View Post
for an all pro poster to make comments about someone being the best ever after their rookie season is just sheer stupidity, crazy, mad, idiotic, non sensical, ete etc etc
There has yet to be rookie QB ever in the NFL that has played with as much poise and composure as Ryan displayed last year, however he has only played one year and alot can change. From what I've seen if he continues to improve he can make it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.02.2009, 09:10 PM
JeromeNeil's Avatar
JeromeNeil JeromeNeil is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 05.02.2008
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
There has yet to be rookie QB ever in the NFL that has played with as much poise and composure as Ryan displayed last year, however he has only played one year and alot can change. From what I've seen if he continues to improve he can make it.
Funny, there's me thinking a fellow called Dan Marino came in as a rookie and threw 20 TDs to only 6 INTs in 11 games.

Ryan had a good season, but it wasn't the best rookie season for a QB by any length.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.02.2009, 11:34 PM
John Breitenbach's Avatar
John Breitenbach John Breitenbach is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 20.11.2005
Posts: 6,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeNeil View Post
Funny, there's me thinking a fellow called Dan Marino came in as a rookie and threw 20 TDs to only 6 INTs in 11 games.

Ryan had a good season, but it wasn't the best rookie season for a QB by any length.
Granted Marino had a great rookie year but those are just stats you're pointing out, I was thinking more about temperament and poise.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09.02.2009, 11:24 AM
Barryt's Avatar
Barryt Barryt is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 10.09.2006
Posts: 1,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
It's ridiculous to say Ryan was only good because of Turner against us MT was shut down and yet Ryan played great and nearly won them the game.

In a few year he'll be the best at the position, and i'm inclined to say best ever!
OK lets all calm down with the over-exagerrated claims please....its getting ridiculous
Matt Ryan was great this year without a doubt, played with great maturity for a rookie. However thats because most teams started by playing 8 in the box thinking stop Turner, stop the Falcons. Next year the defences will be well aware of what he can do and will play him as such....lets see how he handles that before inducting him into the HoF yeah?

Look at AP, last year everyone was claiming he was Emitt Smith & Barry Sanders love child destined for 60,000+ career yards and god like status......this year gained good yards but IMO cost Minnesota a playoff berth by coughing the up the ball too many times.

As for the awards, I think Brees should have been MVP.......without him the Saints could have been down there with the Lions this year, and with a "finesse" running game (yes that is the nice term for pansy ass) and no defence to speak of he performed miracles!

As for the
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09.02.2009, 07:05 PM
Kazza's Avatar
Kazza Kazza is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 08.09.2006
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Breitenbach View Post
It's ridiculous to say Ryan was only good because of Turner against us MT was shut down and yet Ryan played great and nearly won them the game.

In a few year he'll be the best at the position, and i'm inclined to say best ever!
That being the game where he threw for 2INT's right? And 2 TD's. And 24 more yards than McNabb on 10 more attempts? I'm not saying he wasnt a great rookie, but I think without Turner, he wouldnt have been so good. But he wouldnt have been rubbish with White to throw to. But without Turner, they wouldnt have put 8 in the box on alot of downs so yeah
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09.02.2009, 09:00 PM
John Breitenbach's Avatar
John Breitenbach John Breitenbach is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 20.11.2005
Posts: 6,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
That being the game where he threw for 2INT's right? And 2 TD's. And 24 more yards than McNabb on 10 more attempts? I'm not saying he wasnt a great rookie, but I think without Turner, he wouldnt have been so good. But he wouldnt have been rubbish with White to throw to. But without Turner, they wouldnt have put 8 in the box on alot of downs so yeah
Those picks were unlucky TBH he played really well in that game against a top ranked NFC D. I of course I don't believe he's automatically got it but I believe he definately has the potential due to his maturity and leadership he showed with a team that had just been in utter dissaray and, picked by many (including me) to be having the first pick in the draft this year.

To say he only did well because team's played with 8 in the box is ridiculous, he consistently completed passes to WRs who previosuly had done nothing, do you think it's a coincidence Roddy White had such a good year? I don't.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09.02.2009, 09:24 PM
Khaled's Avatar
Khaled Khaled is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 14.10.2005
Posts: 1,558
Default

I look forward to the day when Matt Ryan breaks Peyton Mannings appearance record for television commercials in any given season.

That's how good I think he can be.

In any case I'd argue Ryan was Rookie of the Year. Because I'm a Falcons fan and I saw more of the Falcons then the Bears. Forte was a great pick up no doubt, but I think Ryan contributed so much more to the Falcons then just stats. His ability helped in part open up the run for Turner. It was a combination that benefited each other so much.

As for the overall MVP - I want so say someone controversial ... or at least interesting ... maybe Philip Rivers, he was pretty impressive in leading a team to the playoffs. I don't really believe what I just said but at least I'll get a response with someone offering something back
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forte , manning , mvp , rookie , ryan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 01:14 AM.